*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Meh, it's a word...I just call it gaining muscle without bloating yourself out once a year only to starve yourself later :o...Started doing it way before I even knew what the term was

But then again I'm self conscious, so bulking wouldn't work for me

people usually dont starve themselves whilst cutting, they usually just start doing more cardio

Soldato
Lean gains and bulking are mutually exclusive, the 2 are almost entirely incompatible.

EDIT: ooops sorry I got the wrong end of the stick, I misunderstood where you're coming from. Ignore my last couple of posts!

Last edited:
Associate
I was generalising, I was hoping that would be obvious...

I know you were, it's just that the tone of your post makes leangains zealots who do not know much about bodybuilding to take it as a normal statement.

I mean Yates is an absolute legend, and I am aware that you probably know that and do not discredit him, but the general reader that pops into Sports Arena might not. :)
The whole point of leangains is that you can put on lean muscle whilst not gaining fat or even improving your body composition/reducing fat. It's a slower process and aimed at natural lifters so not tailored for those that would want to follow in Mr O's footsteps, but to say that his knowledge is not as credible as Mr O's is just ridiculous in my opinion :)

Slow is a very mild word. Basically after you get yourself 2-3 years of lifting, you start hiting plateaus which are become increasingly hard to overcome. Progress is still possible yes, but putting on mass after this period becomes so slow if you stay natural that I don't think you want to make it any slower by not feeding yourself for 16 hours a day.

You can get lean muscle without using IF, it's not like the guy invented the concept of lean muscle gain as some people point out. Look at FF, he's been getting leaner and still pretty big, despite not using this magic diet approach.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at anyone directly, I'm just saying that in this sport it's best to hear opinions of different poeple before rushing to conclusions and proclaiming guru's.

Man of Honour
just watching the dorian yates tips video and he says something which i said earlier in the supplements thread and people who use that leangains website shot down.

dorian yates says that your body can only use so much protein in 1 go and your body needs 1.5g per lb of bodyweight, so if you weight 200lbs you need 300g of protein per day. he says the best way to do that is by having 5-6 (small meals) a day, obviously each meal would be 50-60g of protein.

he also says if you eat too much protein in 1 go, your body just flushes it out of your system. so if you were having 2/3 meals a day with 100-150g of protein in it, most of that protein would just get flushed out.

so the people who are using IF fasting my theory on how it works is true, if what dorian yates also states is true, i'll try and find my posts and repost them in here on my theory.

No.

People need to remember that DY has products to sell, which is exactly where the whole "eat every 2 hours or OMGAPOCALYPSECATABOLISM" myth came from.

That, quite simply, isn't how the body works.

Also, people shouldn't really be jumping on his training program without thought either. I'm not suggesting that people are, but remember that his training worked well for HIM; his body, his lifestyle, his recovery rate, and his *special* supplementation routine.

Caporegime
No.

People need to remember that DY has products to sell, which is exactly where the whole "eat every 2 hours or OMGAPOCALYPSECATABOLISM" myth came from.

That, quite simply, isn't how the body works.

Also, people shouldn't really be jumping on his training program without thought either. I'm not suggesting that people are, but remember that his training worked well for HIM; his body, his lifestyle, his recovery rate, and his *special* supplementation routine.

its just a routine, doesnt matter if your taking the same stuff he was, if you watch the video's it looks like a good concise routine. he only does 1 working set for each exercise.

Man of Honour
+1

this guy has hit the nail on the head.

leangains is good for maintaining muscle or growing slightly and losing weight, for building muscle mass at the optimum rate, you need a regular intake of protein, carbs, etc.

i'll post my theory below:

its better to have 10g of protein every hour than 100g of protein every 10 hours

intermittent fasting works on the principle that fasting does not equal catabolic state so long as you break the fast within 16 hours is it?

therefore your body wont eat your muscles as long as you feed it within 16 hours after your last meal.

but on the other hand your muscles try to repair themselves 24/7 but they repair faster when you are sleeping/resting and when your not using them.

for example if i broke my leg, the body would constantly try to heal it, as long as i wasnt using it, but it would heal faster whilst sleeping.

therefore for optimum growth, you really need to be drip feeding nutrients to your body 24/7 because the body is trying to heal 24/7, but your body can still grow so long as you feed it i think at least every 16 hours before it goes catabolic.

using the broken leg as an analogy, lets say i break my leg and im doing intermittent fasting, the leg will still heal, because im not going catabolic, but it will heal slower in the fasting period and at the optimum rate during/after the eating period.

thats the way i see it.

people use intermittent fasting to burn bodyfat and grow muscle, simply due to whilst your fasting your burning fat and before you start to burn muscle, you eat again and when you eat, thats when muscle building kicks back in, before going back to burning fat when your bodies nutrients have stopped being fed to it.

i dont know if i have explained that all properly. any questions are welcome.

interrupting sleep would be the worst thing you can do. eating nutrients before sleeping is probably the best thing you can do.

taking steroids, eating and training doesn't turn you into a mr olympia, i know that for a fact. so i would give dorian yates his due when it comes to giving advice over some guy who cant put together a clear and concise website.

This post is an incorrect as the first time you posted it.

As a slight aside, do you intentionally try write as if you're an expert giving advice and explaining things? Thing is, *I* know you're theorising, but your style will be confusing to others.

Important points to remember about the biggest bodybuilders:
- they NEED to eat every couple of hours or they wouldn't be getting enough calories in. This is not relevant to most people
- they are on the best steroids going
- their training is completely adapted to how they respond as individuals. You wouldn't find two bodybuilders doing the same thing (I'm guessing), but you would be able to draw parallels which are essentially the basics of training.
- genetics DO plan an important role, as does their complete dedication to the sport (sport???)

Caporegime
OP
Completely. And remember that DY broke one of the great "rules" of bodybuilding. He kept the same routine, day in day out, off season or on it. He didn't change it up, he didn't swap things around.
He worked how he worked out, he broke through his plateaus by.... doing the same thing as he always does.

He was the best because he found what works for him and he hammered it, hard.

Man of Honour
there is a finite amount of protein your body can metabolise the rest will effectively be turned into glucose.

I agree entirely with Morba and icecold's posts.

You can still gain lean muscle mass and keep bodyfat down if you know what you're doing. The likes of DY, aren't bothered about that at all. The whole bulk/cut is a lot more strenuous on the body for a start - you're much better off taking this slow and accept that unless you're taking illicit supplements you just will not gain that size that quickly.

These guys eat shed loads because they carry a lot of muscle mass, train sometimes more than once a day, and are paid big dollars for sponsorship and products. Don't be fooled.

The 2 theories are sound, however they offer different results.

We have many people on this forum who are proof that you don't need to bulk/cut to get stronger, and carry more muscle mass. Futhermore, there are plenty of bulky naturals out there, that carry a lot of muscle mass and are lean.

Education > blindly following pros,
education + experience + provable results > *

There's a lot more to muscle gain than purely taking on x.xg per lb of bodyweight - if it were that simple we'd all be massive ;)

Soldato
Bit of a weird (lame) question here. But do you guys have to buy new clothes quite a lot?

I've been working out steadily for the last 4-5 months, nothing major (rows, curls, extensions, squats etc. twice a week - and I'm an ecto) but lately I've noticed my clothes getting a bit on the tight side - particularly my jeans on my thighs. I've always been a 32/32 in jeans and I'm a bit worried I'm now going to have to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe :)

Soldato
it will happen a lot for legs in your first year, yes.
I have to buy 38" trousers even though my waist fits fine in 34" ones just because of the legs.

Tell me about it! I buy wait 34" Sloucher or 36" depending on brand even though I'm my waist is 31-32 inches.

I'm also buying US large T-shirts, or Diesal number 4/XL if I'm buying new stuff.

I love it! Although I need to get rid of all the medium size undies, they're starting to cut in something fierce.

Associate
So guys, I'm 18 soon currently 6.2" and weigh around 12.2 stone and i'm pretty skinny with very little muscle, I would love to start gaining muscle but unsure how to go about it properly. Any advice on where to start?

Soldato
So guys, I'm 18 soon currently 6.2" and weigh around 12.2 stone and i'm pretty skinny with very little muscle, I would love to start gaining muscle but unsure how to go about it properly. Any advice on where to start?

Personally I recommend barbell strength routines. I'm 6'3 and was a similar weight to you a couple of years ago. I did Stronglifts 5x5 for a while and ate loads and now I'm a couple of stone heavier and a whole lot stronger.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom