*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
ok took advice on here - and reduced arm curls -and tried putting other exercises - utilising more whole body instead - did allow me to do more (and more variety) bench press - and I did feel more tired this afternoon so thats got to be good :)

I mixed benchpress (flat) "machine" - the ones you have to rotate the bar into

and "free" - barbell ones - they were as I expected ... hard work - only managed 18kg on each side - but I could feel all of my middle of myarms "quivering" so thats a good sign additional smaller muscles also getting exercised

question though - whats best method to dismount ? ie your doing the benchpress with a barbell in each arm - you finihs - do you try and sit-up (managed that first couple of times but then not) - or lower as far as you can down and then drop them to the floor?

finished the day off with an 8k run in the rain tonight :) was really refreshing

cheers

Man of Honour
Not bad sesh today

Did some powercleans to push presses - went up to 110kg which I was rather happy with. The 110kg was actually quite easy, I reckon 120kg is going to come up nicely.
Big volume on squats, only went up to 150x5 but very much ATG - but nigh on 10T on squats alone. :cool: It's the 100kg dropset that kills me - I love it :D

Then some heavy calf raises, I need to get these ****ers better shaped - I have skinny calves :( (16.5"), compared to my 27" thighs.

Man of Honour
I try and sit up and rest them on my thighs. You have to be careful when dropping them that you don't over-extend your shoulders as you can quite easily create some damage. Try and keep them as close to your body as possible.

Soldato
thanks Freefaller and Morba - thats what I'll do then :)

re dumbells - lol - oops - gym noob here (well not really been doing it for years !)

I'm catching up with some of the larger guys in the gym - weight wise - so thats good (not on free dumbells though - lol - way behind curve on those)

Associate
Would love to seem some epic barbell in each hand presses! Lol.

I generally sit up (I kinda do the reverse motion of kicking it up with my knees, which in turn forces me to sit up). Although a pt buddy moans I'm wasting energy by doing it, when in actual fact it's fairly effortless.

Soldato
lol:)

the more gym/exercise I do the more cravings for meat I have! lol

tonight was a bit of a treat - "home-made" curry - well about 50ml of "fresh balti sauce" - tin of tomatoes, a few onions, a whole chilli, and 300g of tender lean Lamb

ooooh -loverly

lamb was standard supermarket stuff though - once a week we have a treat of some high quality leg of lamb from Ocado/Waitrose - its ridiculously expensive - 8 quid for about 400g - but it literally melts in your mouth

if it was half the price I'd have it 3 times a week!

Last edited:
Soldato
Tell me about it. I've been to the gym like 6 times in the past month and i just have no energy/motivation/appetite at all every day. September cant come fast enough ffs.

Skillmaster- September not far off now :)

I can't believe we're heading towards mid July

mind you it means another birthday approaching:( - mid 30s here we come !! :(

Last edited:
Soldato
What's everyones opinion on flat/incline/decline BB bench? I'm really not a fan of incline, I find it hard to keep my shoulders out of the equasion and that more front delts are doing more work than my chest. However, I read a lot of people saying to really concentrate on incline, over flat and decline. Decline I absolutely <3, tonnes of chest activation and just feels 'right.

Soldato
What's everyones opinion on flat/incline/decline BB bench? I'm really not a fan of incline, I find it hard to keep my shoulders out of the equasion and that more front delts are doing more work than my chest. However, I read a lot of people saying to really concentrate on incline, over flat and decline. Decline I absolutely <3, tonnes of chest activation and just feels 'right.

interesting question - I'll be interested in replies too - I used to concentrate on incline - but I find it hard to keep decent form

wheras flat - I feel like its hittingmy chest harder - and I feel like I can keep form better

I also feel more pumped after flat - wheras with incline - I feel more aching in my shoulders than my chest

Man of Honour
I feel exactly the same about it Chris. Incline just feels too much like shoulder press to me, maybe I need to be doing it slightly further back? It's got to the point where I just don't do incline anymore :p

Was doing decline yesterday and it was a treat, can really feel it today.

Caporegime

you should do all 3 (alternate between them if you cant do them in the same day), does it really matter if incline works your shoulders more, at least you know your shoulders are getting bigger too.

Caporegime
Dorian Yates' Blood And Guts Episode 1: Chest/Biceps Workout

10 min Warm Up on Treadmill
Injury Prevention tip: Rotater Cuff Warm Up - 2 sets of 12 reps, rest elbow on surface to keep form tight

Decline Bench Press: 2 warm up sets of 10-12 reps, 1 working set of 6-8 reps to failure, desired weight (1 min rest between sets, increase weight)
Dorian's Tips: The Decline Bench Press is the most effective pec exercise.

Incline Dumbbell Press (45 degree incline): 1 warm up set of 10-12 reps, 1 working set of 6-8 reps to failure, desired weight (1 min rest between sets, increase weight)
Dorian's Tips: Lower weight slowly, explode up.

Flat Bench Dumbbell Flyes: 1 warm up set of 10-12 reps, 1 working set of 6-8 reps to failure, desired weight (1 min rest between sets)
5 min rest

Dumbbell Concentration Curl: 1 warm up set of 10-12 reps, 1 working set of 6-8 reps to failure, desired weight (1 min rest between sets
Dorian's Tips: Squeeze at top.

Straight Bar Curl: 1 set of 6-8 reps to failure, desired weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom