*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Typical day for me is ( dont laugh ).

No breakfast
10am ham roll and a bag of crisps and kit kat
1pm sandwiches and a bannana or apple
6-7pm main meal which is usually stir fry with chicken or mushrooms, steak maybe once a week, chicken breast in various sauces and watever rubbish i pick uop from the supermarket!.

Now ive wrote that out my diet intake is pretty poor!! Never realised.

Associate
your diet is pooooo :)
it might help..but ive just counted my new diet for next month or so...2500cals below keeping the carbs low (less than 100) and arround 230g protein

100g oats, 250ml SS Milk, 50g Protein
4 whole eggs
1 1/2 tins tuna (or 250g chicken), 30g Olive Oil, Salad
250g Chicken/lean mince/beef/steak, approx 200g Mixed Veg, 50g Cheddar Cheese
50g nuts or peanut butter
50g Protein Powder (i use MP impact blend)

Ill stick to this near every day apart from evening meal on Saurday where I will cheat like :eek:

Last edited:
Associate

No breakfast
6-7pm main meal which is usually stir fry with chicken or mushrooms, steak maybe once a week, chicken breast in various sauces and watever rubbish i pick uop from the supermarket!.

GordyR's sticky is your friend - don't be put off by the title, it's solid beginners advice for anyone.

I'd also at least give the gym a go - so many people think it's easier to get equipment at home but the quality is generally rubbish which hinders progression and makes you bored quickly. There's a lot of gym equipment around the country in people's spare rooms acting as expensive clothes horses.

Soldato

No breakfast

Not suprising you dont put weight on with that. I was the same thought i was eating plenty but as soon as i wrote it all down was like half of the RDA

Soldato
My diet and i;m STILL not putting weight on:

Breakfast: Scrambled egg, 3 slices of brown bread toast, yoghurt, peice of fruit and a bowl of cereal!

Snack: Maybe some nuts or beef jerky/flapjack

Lunch: Something like steamed fish or chicken with pasta/rice some salad and a lump of tuna, sometimes with a dessert

Snack Maybe some nuts or beef jerky/flapjack

Tea: Again some high protein meat with potatoes and veg followed by a dessert of maybe rice pudding or something with custard.

Evening: Snack on nuts and various other foods.

Associate

Breakfast: Scrambled egg, 3 slices of brown bread toast, yoghurt, peice of fruit and a bowl of cereal!

Lunch: Something like steamed fish or chicken with pasta/rice some salad and a lump of tuna, sometimes with a dessert

Tea: Again some high protein meat with potatoes and veg followed by a dessert of maybe rice pudding or something with custard.

What do you do in the gym?

Soldato
have you actually measured the food you are eating so that you have a good idea of the kcals you are taking in?

This. Then increase them if you're keeping the cals up consistently and still not gaining.

Also replace cereal for porridge. (Cereal tends to be sugary crap). And looks like you've been snacking on nuts which is a good idea for healthy calorific snacks.

Man of Honour
Nope, it's fine for the upper back to bend, as in the Thoracic spine.

Many pro lifters do it if not all, as it's also sometimes called the hook motion.
Now it's not the same as like bending to touch your toes, but there is a slight bend.

You'll see it in all pro powerlifting competitions and world record lifts. It's just something that happens during the lift and sticks.

The only part of the back that's never ever supposed to bend is the lowerback aka lumbar area. That's a NO NO, and can instantly lean to injury.

As Matt Kroc has stated before :

The deadlift takes place at 1:20
I actually disagree with you here mate.

What happens when people go for huge lifts is that their shoulders drop and there is a *slight* bend of the upper back which is then corrected at lock out. As is stated in your quote, the lumbar should *tend* towards having an arch.

There actually isn't that much movement in the back, or at least there shouldn't be.

At all levels of training, priority number one is to always have a neutral spine. There are basically no exceptions to this rule, although to shift really stupid weights people make compromises.

Also, directly to the guy who's back is sore after deadlifting, it is completely down to your form being wrong. I'm going to guess that your hips fly up first and then the rest of the movement is kind of a back extension.

Man of Honour

Not enough fats in your diet - they contain the most calories. :)

Man of Honour
Pretty good squat session today, went up to 180, but didn't quite hit parallel, I psyched myself out :( However, blitzed 32 reps (in 4 sets) @140kg which was good enough and very much ATG. Total volume was 10T on squats so feeling pretty fried!

Soldato
Soooooooooo i've torn part of my quadricep :(

Did it last week while doing some fartlec training, went from running to sprinting and the burst out I did just destroyed my right quad, stuggled on it for a few days then played volleyball yesterday as it didn't feel too bad, stretched out for the ball to kick it (couldn't reach with my hands) and ouch....it hurt :(

Went to the doctors today and they have given me some strong anti-flamatory stuff and i'm straight in with the physio tomorrow morning.

When I was younger I had a very similar injury but it was much much worse (crutches for 3 months as I couldn't even move it) so we think it could be a reoccurring injury :(

Saw the physio this morning, yup i've torn it :(

it's too swollen up still for him to start work on it so it's all about icing it and putting a compression bandage on it for a few days. I'll be going to see him again in a few hours and then tomorrow morning and most likely every day this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom