*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Does anyone get lower back pumps from squatting? I got them today I think and they were so bad I had to abandon the deadlifts I was meant to be doing!

I'm pretty sure they were nothing more serious than pumps but Jesus I've not had them like that before.
This means your form is breaking and your lower back is bending.

Caporegime
Seen a few people at gym wearing big belts around their stomachs. They're all pretty heavy / fat. What purpose does this belt serve. Does it just tuck their stomache in?

http://www.24hrfitness.co.uk/fitness equipment/weight-lifting-belt.html

IMO they should not be used. I bought one without really looking into them, thinking they were just a safety measure, but they aren't. They allow you to "cheat" by doing the work your abs and other core muscles should be doing. They, in my opinion, pose a danger because it means your core muscles (arguably the most important muscles in your entire body) will not be as strong as they could be, and you'll get lazy by not tightening them when you are supposed to, because the belt does it for you.

The big lifters use them, but they know what they are doing and won't let their core be weak. My belt will be staying at home until the day I can deadlift/squat 300kg+ (if I ever get there, which I very much doubt!) :)

EDIT: A good read on lumbar belts: http://staff.washington.edu/griffin/belts_chek.txt

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I see them as no different to lifting straps or wraps. They serve a purpose, but should not be used all the time.

Jester - putting a value on when you would use them is stupid. Weight means nothing, its about intensity and when parts of your body restrict your progress.

Associate
Guys

Im seriosuly considering getting a weight bench/weights and maybe a punch bag.

Ive cleared the garage out and have nice amount of room.

Can anyone recommend a decent cheap bench and weights.

Argos have a few for around 60 quid with 30kg weights ( is this too little? )

Bear in mind ive never really lifted weights before i weight 10 and half stone and am 5"7 in height.

Basically i want to try and bulk up a bit and am willing to put the hard work in.

Also my diet is pretty rubbish, do protein drinks really help in gaining mass?

Any help/advice would be great.

Soldato
I'd spend more time and money on the diet and lifestyle changes than on the gym equipment.

Punch bag and a few small weights/pushup/pullup bars may be a good idea but as a person just starting there is no point in shelling out for all the gear.

See if you can keep it up for 6 months or even a year then consider getting a home gym.

Associate
Not really looking to spend that much! lol

Just wanted to get a bench with some decent weights and a punch bag.

I just want to bulk up a bit, even if i could put on a stone in weight id be happy.

Ill check the local classifieds and see if theres any second hand equipment on there.

Caporegime
Not really looking to spend that much! lol

Just wanted to get a bench with some decent weights and a punch bag.

I just want to bulk up a bit, even if i could put on a stone in weight id be happy.

Ill check the local classifieds and see if theres any second hand equipment on there.

what is the point in getting a bench and weights and nothing else?

you cannot squat, safely, etc.

i suggest you spend some time actually reading up on what it is you want to achieve, or ask people how to achieve it.

if you want to put on a stone of muscle then squats will be essential.

for squatting you need a power rack or squat stands, squat stands aren't as safe or as well built, or come with lat pulley attachments options, etc.

do yourself a favour, join a gym, if you still want a home gym in 6 months time, then come and ask for advice.

im telling you it was minus 18 C here last winter and i could not use my home gym for several months (its in my garage), honestly get the home gym out of your head for now and join a gym and do as much learning as you can.

a decent home gym will set you back £600 "minimum" even second hand.

my matting alone has cost roughly £250 and i still need more mats.

Man of Honour
Yep, that's strong lifting for sure RaohNS, but the form is pretty dangerous. If you showed that to a proper strength coach they'd **** a brick and wouldn't let you lift over 100kg for a while. It is absolutely essential to start the lift with a neutral spine, and even to have your lumbar (lower back) tend towards an arch. The effect of this poor starting position results in you stalling at lockout forcing you to "hitch", which is also dangerous.

Do you have a vid of your 250kg?

This will take a lot of work to correct, and a lot of people don't bother. But an alarming amount of those that keep lifting like that end up with lasting damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom