*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
Seriously wtf is going on?! I'm eating quite well, and a few months ago I was approaching 9 stone. Now I'm barely above 8 stone. Not only that, but my midsection appears to have gotten bigger, so I now have even more of a skinny fat look :(

I really don't know why this is happening.

Well go over the meticulous food records that you have been keeping DAILY and find out where your going wrong.

Whats that?

You don't have a notebook or spreadsheet meticulously detailing your diet?

Then im not sure what you want us to do....

Dont mean to be curt m8 but that pretty much sums up 90% of the diet based questions on here.

Soldato
Well go over the meticulous food records that you have been keeping DAILY and find out where your going wrong.

Whats that?

You don't have a notebook or spreadsheet meticulously detailing your diet?

Then im not sure what you want us to do....

Dont mean to be curt m8 but that pretty much sums up 90% of the diet based questions on here.

I see what you're saying mate, but I'm a bit confused as to how I can lose mass, yet I'm gaining fat?

Permabanned
probably still diet based m8, too much carbohydrates causing excessive insulin response. When was the last time you went 48hrs without any carbs at all? I'll take a stab at never.

This could be your issue but without a detailed food log theres no way to know we will only have the foods you remember which isnt gonna be enough to see where you're going wrong.

Soldato
probably still diet based m8, too much carbohydrates causing excessive insulin response. When was the last time you went 48hrs without any carbs at all? I'll take a stab at never.

This could be your issue but without a detailed food log theres no way to know we will only have the foods you remember which isnt gonna be enough to see where you're going wrong.

When you say too many carbs, do you mean that the actual amount of carbs I'm eating might be too much, or too great a proportion of my diet is carbs?

Permabanned
too frequent is my concern, carbs are best taken in fairly large doses earlier in the day. If you snack on carbs you keep spiking your insulin throughout the day this can lead to excessive fat retention. Meanwhile you may still not be taking enough calories to hang onto your muscle, its a fine balance.

Soldato
Has anyone got a link to that diet plan website thing that knows how much protein and carbs and stuff food has? Been searching for a while and not found it. Cheers.

Man of Honour
Nice lifting FF. Shame you didn't manage the press at 120Kg, but you weren't far off.

One question about deadlifts; I know I should be lifting with a 'neutral' lower back, but how bad is it to lift with a slightly arched (As in sticking your ass out too much)? I find that whenever I try and straighten my back into neutral, I over arch it slightly.

I psyched myself out - I couldn't even PC 130 :( I think I was just tired and not "into" it yesterday.

I always arch my back (lock it out) as I feel stronger for it, I don't think it's possible for the back to remain neutral, as long as it doesn't round the other way - better to over arch than round.

In fact when doing BORs for example, arching the back locks the back in such a way that gives a better ROM for the actual movement and engages the muscles more effectively as it locks out and disengages any unnecessary movements.

Caporegime
Hi-Ho! Hi-Ho! It's off to the Gym I go :D

Back day, YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

I psyched myself out - I couldn't even PC 130 :( I think I was just tired and not "into" it yesterday.

I always arch my back (lock it out) as I feel stronger for it, I don't think it's possible for the back to remain neutral, as long as it doesn't round the other way - better to over arch than round.

In fact when doing BORs for example, arching the back locks the back in such a way that gives a better ROM for the actual movement and engages the muscles more effectively as it locks out and disengages any unnecessary movements.

I'd be interested to see your BOR tecnique if possible? As I feel mine isn't grand...I will try to get a video today of both my BORs (barbell) and my deadlift.

Good going on the lifts by the way :)

Also, could someone look at my squat vid please? And tell me what I'm doing wrong as I'm bound to be arching somewhere :o

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=19685446&postcount=6810

Soldato
BORs are quite easy as FF described really. Start in a Deadlift, lift so that your knees are slightly bent but your back is as close to parrarell as you can, with your bum pushed out to create an arch in your back and lock out. Then pull the bar as close to your torso as you can and really pinch your back muscles as tight as you can whilst doing so. At the peak of the lift, your back muscles should be fully tensed and you'll definitely feel it!

Caporegime
BORs are quite easy as FF described really. Start in a Deadlift, lift so that your knees are slightly bent but your back is as close to parrarell as you can, with your bum pushed out to create an arch in your back and lock out. Then pull the bar as close to your torso as you can and really pinch your back muscles as tight as you can whilst doing so. At the peak of the lift, your back muscles should be fully tensed and you'll definitely feel it!

Ta :)

Soldato
Delvis
http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/BBBentOverRow.html

Show's it nicely. I think coming to a dead stop between reps is a preference thing, usually referred to as a Pendlay Row(?) if you do. I also like to do a set or two with underhand grip occasionally, its just a bit different.

This might sound odd, but I think I'm losing leg strength since changing from press to squats. My squatting is absolutely limited by my hip mobility and in particular my left hip-flexor (I think). It almost feels like I'm squatting with one leg half the time, as such I've been stuck at 5x5x95kg for over a month. For comparison, my leg press had been limited by the weight stack max of 555lbs for ages. I've stopped pressing completely, but similarly quad extensions have plateaued at 230lbs 3x8 for a month or so. I guess as I'm losing weight my legs aren't getting worked so much just walking around so that's adding to it :/ (133kg now down to 90kg!). Am I an idiot for even thinking this?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Delvis
http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/BBBentOverRow.html

Show's it nicely. I think coming to a dead stop between reps is a preference thing, usually referred to as a Pendlay Row(?) if you do. I also like to do a set or two with underhand grip occasionally, its just a bit different.

This might sound odd, but I think I'm losing leg strength since changing from press to squats. My squatting is absolutely limited by my hip mobility and in particular my left hip-flexor (I think). It almost feels like I'm squatting with one leg half the time, as such I've been stuck at 5x5x95kg for over a month. For comparison, my leg press had been limited by the weight stack max of 555lbs for ages. I've stopped pressing completely, but similarly quad extensions have plateaued at 230lbs 3x8 for a month or so. I guess as I'm losing weight my legs aren't getting worked so much just walking around so that's adding to it :/ (133kg now down to 90kg!). Am I an idiot for even thinking this?

Thanks for the link :) Just nice to see people doing it in action so to speak sometimes for comparison :)

With regards to your legs...I can't help much there :(...Have you tried doing 'some' leg presses to see what happens with your squat? However with regards to your hip flexibilty there will be a nice chap along shortly to show you some videos hopefully :)...I'll try looking for some in the meantime

Also, I'm back from my Back session, and jesus christ i've never sweated so much, I have no idea why!!!? Unless the room was just more hot today.

On the plus side, I have a new PB for Deadlifts now, 50kg last week, now 80kg :) I'm so happy!!!

Soldato
After hurting my shoulder from benching I took on your advice with the whole 'retract your shoulder blades as if you are trying to squeeze a pencil between them'

Last time I did 5x5 at 60KG after a warm up, today I only managed 3x8 at 50kg!

It felt so heavy when my blades were pinched back, shoulder didn't hurt mind. Is this normal for it to be heavier? I guess there must be other little muscles that i'm using for the first time.

Also, the range of moment seems really small now my shoulders are back, is this normal as well?

Permabanned
After hurting my shoulder from benching I took on your advice with the whole 'retract your shoulder blades as if you are trying to squeeze a pencil between them'

Last time I did 5x5 at 60KG after a warm up, today I only managed 3x8 at 50kg!

It felt so heavy when my blades were pinched back, shoulder didn't hurt mind. Is this normal for it to be heavier? I guess there must be other little muscles that i'm using for the first time.

Also, the range of moment seems really small now my shoulders are back, is this normal as well?

Range of movement wont change, straight arms to chest distance isnt gonna change much from flexing your trap. Personally for a shoulder issue i would use the widest grip possible and lower the weight.

Overall though, considering the weights being lifted, are you really training the support muscles properly? Do you have a comprehensive shoulder training plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom