*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
You won't topple backwards as long as the weight stays vertically over your heels, what's making things difficult is that you are probably trying to stay a little bit too upright as this reduces the tension on your posterior chain.

No worries about the ankle thing, I was trying to give you some good news... :p

Honestly it all not looking too bad, and it's good to see your PBs are increasing too.

Caporegime
You won't topple backwards as long as the weight stays vertically over your heels, what's making things difficult is that you are probably trying to stay a little bit too upright as this reduces the tension on your posterior chain.

No worries about the ankle thing, I was trying to give you some good news... :p

Honestly it all not looking too bad, and it's good to see your PBs are increasing too.

Thanks dude :)...Hehe no it was good about the ankle thing :p

Yeah...Problem is I'm self contiously not trying to bend my back I guess...Therefore staying upright. I'll have a look up on squats etc though a bit more, hopefully things will get better each session :)

Soldato
Are there any Muslim gym rats?

As some of you may know it's the month of Ramadan - Which means I'll be fasting for the whole month from an hour before sunrise to sunset which is totalling in to just over 17.5 hour fasts.

Now I intend to incoorprate a modified version of LeanGains diet (need to finish reading and researching this) and I'll most likely be training 2-3 times a week aiming for maintenance. I'm working times/gym/routines.

Will be interesting either way.

I understand this isn't the right way to clean and press but are there any drawbacks in doing it this way?

Would appreciate C&C. Shoulder is getting better and I should be able to do over 100KG soon.

Soldato
Hey, noticed you're based in Sheffield, which Gym is that? I've been thinking about getting back into it but like the idea of finding a smaller gym where everybody knows everybody kinda thing? Can't stand the big faceless places like Fitness First etc.

Caporegime

As some of you may know it's the month of Ramadan - Which means I'll be fasting for the whole month from an hour before sunrise to sunset which is totalling in to just over 17.5 hour fasts.

Now I intend to incoorprate a modified version of LeanGains diet (need to finish reading and researching this) and I'll most likely be training 2-3 times a week aiming for maintenance. I'm working times/gym/routines.

I understand this isn't the right way to clean and press but are there any drawbacks in doing it this way?

Would appreciate C&C. Shoulder is getting better and I should be able to do over 100KG soon.

Looks alright to be honest...Naturally your 'supposed' to try and get underneath the wegith I guess, so you minimise the press movement.

I know Freefaller did a post the other day showing some, so hopefully he can link you to them (Cant remember if it was in this thread or another one... Sorry :()

Soldato
Does anyone wear any special kind of underwear/shorts for deads? I've got t-rex arms so the bar tends to pulverise my balls somewhat when upright! I've seen the lifting briefs that kind of look like cycling shorts, but honestly don't think I could live with myself wearing them in public.

Man of Honour

Can't see any problems with that, but I don't really know much about the technical side of that lift.

Here is me squatting 105kg. Any comments on my form?

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2n7libm&s=7
Very nice squats - great depth, great back shape, decent glute activation. To really nit pick, try to keep your head/neck in line with your spine. Previously it has been advised that people should keep their heads up, but more recently it's all been about having a neutral spine.

Can't tell you anything else without a better angle, ideally the camera needs to be a bit further around towards the back so we can see what your feet and knees are doing.

Man of Honour
Does anyone wear any special kind of underwear/shorts for deads? I've got t-rex arms so the bar tends to pulverise my balls somewhat when upright! I've seen the lifting briefs that kind of look like cycling shorts, but honestly don't think I could live with myself wearing them in public.
I wear lycra under regular shorts, keeps everything safe, particularly with some of the mobility work I do :o

Caporegime
OP
Try this:

Cracking video that, i'm gonna give some of that a try!
I've noticed that my flexibility around squatting has gone ****e since doing a lot of swimming!

Also, about 4:20 ish he mentions something that a lot of people could learn and use in a few exercises. Hyper extension of the neck can be detrimental to lots of movements.
A neutral neck or tucked in chin can help when squatting, deadlifting or even doing chins (hyper extension releases some of the tension iirc, making you weaker as you hit the top of the rep).

Last edited:
Soldato
Basically you want to maintain an almost vertical shin.

*vid of squat with knees ahead of toes*

Very nice squats - great depth, great back shape, decent glute activation. To really nit pick, try to keep your head/neck in line with your spine. Previously it has been advised that people should keep their heads up, but more recently it's all been about having a neutral spine.

Can't tell you anything else without a better angle, ideally the camera needs to be a bit further around towards the back so we can see what your feet and knees are doing.

Wut.

Soldato

Thanks for the feedback. First time I've checked my form so a real confidence booster to hear good things.

My main concern was my lower back hence the side video. I'm pretty happy with my feet and knees. The knees following the direction of my feet and never buckle in or bow out. The squat rack is right against the back wall of the gym so difficult to get that angle but I will try.

Thanks again.

Man of Honour
;)

It's a complicated issue, but if you look his knees only go slightly (2" maybe) over his toes which are hidden by the rack.

I was also reserving judgement until I saw his bar position clearly, but what's also important is that he is keeping the weight over his heels. A lot of it comes down to limb length too, so if that's a comfortable position then good.

He might find that he gets slightly more power from sticking his arse out more which will reduce his knee's forward movement and stretch his posterior chain more, but I was more commenting about safety and trying to pick up on breaks in form.

Also, the vertical shin is more of a mental queue than a strict rule - you should try and keep your shin as vertical as possible, but in reality unless you are squatting very wide some forward movement is inevitable and useful.

Morba, I've always done it with a broomstick handle across my shoulders, works well :)

Man of Honour
Thanks for the feedback. First time I've checked my form so a real confidence booster to hear good things.

My main concern was my lower back hence the side video. I'm pretty happy with my feet and knees. The knees following the direction of my feet and never buckle in or bow out. The squat rack is right against the back wall of the gym so difficult to get that angle but I will try.

Thanks again.
Lower back looks good, but there is a hint of tuck under on some of the reps.

This is probably just an issue of fatigue affecting concentration and stability, but you could work on stretching your hamstrings and glutes or rolling a lacrosse ball around your glutes.
The difference, i'd imagine, is that steameh's knees coming a bit more forward isn't sacrificing the stability of the lift or the depth being reached.
Yep, said it considerably more succinctly than I did too ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom