*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Will do, it's hard to get a good angle without getting someone to hold the camera so it might be a while. My mate said it looks like I need to drop it to 15kg each side so will try that again with the weight raised.

Thanks for the vid.

Think I really need to start looking at my diet now so will post up in the diet thread if people can give me some tips please! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I imagine dropping to 15kg each side will drop the bar quite close to the floor? Stick with the bigger plates for now.

Yeah, that's why I didn't lower it in the first place, especially as there are no 15kg plates so it would be a 10 and a 5, but I was shown some crate thingys that can be used to rest the bar on so will use them next time. :)

I can't do 60kg, it hurts a fair bit, not like normal doms either. :\

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
You'll be able to do 60kg, don't you worry it's down to form. My friend who has been going gym for 6 months has a 1RM of 120kg after I showed him that video and helped him a few times with form.

Associate
Went yesterday and the freeweights room was closed (apart from dumbells up to 20kg). My chest workout felt useless and boring, I just focused on incredibly slow movement but oh well...

Roll on next week with a full, bigger, better gym!

Man of Honour
Went yesterday and the freeweights room was closed (apart from dumbells up to 20kg). My chest workout felt useless and boring, I just focused on incredibly slow movement but oh well...

Roll on next week with a full, bigger, better gym!

A bad workout is better than no workout! :)

Man of Honour
Did a load of 50Kg powercleans yesterday... ouch my traps hurt today! It's also quite comical when you start to tire, then only one arm fails right at the top of the movement. Glad I wasn't filming it, lol.

I also set a new PB on the squat. More importantly though I think I have figured out why I struggle on the Squat. I try and keep my form strict, but when I go deep, I can really feel it in my lower back so subconsciously I don't go deep enough or sit far enough back in order to protect my back. I now think that my lower back tucking under is caused by really tight hamstrings.

Yesterday I spent a fair amount of time stretching my hamstrings before squatting and it really seemed to help with the form. I am also convinced that this is the cause of my long term back pain, putting me into a bad posture.

So what are the best exercises to do, to stretch and lengthen my hamstrings?
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18268152
It's the very bottom of the lift that I struggled with, getting the spine neutral. Yes you are correct in saying that my back rounds. I could try using a trap bar, pretty sure the gym will have one. I think he said flexibility, or something, can't quite remember to be honest.

He does talk the talk but he is a PT and has a fair few years of gym work under his belt, he's huge and pretty damn fit and he's also studying sports science or something. I must stress, he did say to lower the weight too.

Back is once again in pain today because I had done a couple of sets before speaking to him, was trying to take a video of my lift but my phone was being stupid. :(

What do you guys think of lunges? It was something I thought of after seeing someone else doing them yesterday.
Being a PT means nowt, and I suspect whatever he's studying isn't directly relevant to sorting problems like yours.

If you're only doing 60kg a side I wouldn't reduce the weight.

Try and get a video of your lift. It's probably more a problem of not activating the muscles of your lower back properly, but I still wouldn't recommend good mornings because if there is significant movement in your lumbar spine it could make things worse.

Look up some deadlift videos and look at the shape you should be in at the bottom of the lift.

If your back behaves like I think it does I'm slightly concerned about your squats too.

Man of Honour
I imagine dropping to 15kg each side will drop the bar quite close to the floor? Stick with the bigger plates for now.

I don't know about sigma's gym but many places I've been to have full size plastic plates which are just to keep the spacing/height right, they weigh next to nothing but allow you to put lighter weights on either side without compromising the height of the bar for deadlifts etc.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Yea makes sense to me, but sadly the 15, 20 and 25kg plates are all different in size the places I've trained at :(

The good thing though about different size plates is when using a bigger plate to start with, you can slide the smaller plates on easier when deadlifting.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Caporegime
Hello

I found this article the other day / someone may have posted it on here about the Posterior chain:

http://doubleyourgains.com/posterior-chain-why-you-gotta-train-yo-back-side

Reasonly interesting read...Worth taking note? I'm defo going to train certain muscle groups more now though.

Also...That article leads on to this for deadlifts:

http://doubleyourgains.com/deadlift...t-with-your-legs-and-hips-not-your-lower-back

Good or?

lol in the second link his forearms are just as thick as his legs, weak leg genetics or doesnt train legs much?

Caporegime
this is a bicep monkeys wet dream

With all this attention being paid to speed, it's only natural that there be a speedy equivalent in bodybuilding. For instance, what would you give to be able to put 3/8-inch on your arms in as short a length of time as 24 hours? It's entirely possible with my One-Day Arm Cure.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_oneday_arm_cure

Will everyone gain as much as 3/8-inch using this method? No. Some individuals will gain more. Some gain up to one inch in the five days following my one-day arm cure! I've even seen one individual who was part of the one-day-to-failure school gain 5/8-inch after doing my instant-growth routine. This particular individual hadn't made any progress in months, so I convinced him to humor me and try this method as an experiment. Obviously, his body was in dire need of more training volume. After his enlightening experience?and after going out to buy new T-shirts?he dumped his Heavy Duty Training Manual into the old shoebox where he keeps his eight-track tapes and platform shoes.

lol @ 8 hours of doing curlz

we have a challenger

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136915653

Last edited:
Caporegime
Sounds like a recipe for horrific injuries to me :D

the amount of trauma it is going to cause to the bicep, it will surely swell up therefore when you measure it, it has increased a lot in size also they will be pumped full of acid and blood.

second day, swelling should get worse lol, therefore huge gains, its after a week or two he will realise he has totally ruined the muscle and all those gains were muscle swelling much like what happens if you get your finger caught in a door or stub your toe, but on a larger scale.

isolation does work and sometimes a hard session (overtraining) can help, but 8 hours is taking the ****. in that amount of time i could have done a fully body isolated workout 4 times over.

Man of Honour
The other article about bulking for ectomorphs has a really shocking diet in it. Gives an 8 meal diet (2 of those meals are around 1000kcals each) and says it will be no more than 2900 calories :eek:

Guy needs to work out how to do maths

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom