*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I had a friend, who knows his stuff, watch me deadlift today to see where I was going wrong.

First he said that I needed to raised the weight up a bit because I'm not flexible enough to get decent form yet, which is fair enough. But when we raised it I was still not doing it correctly.

He said that whilst my legs can lift the weight my back is pretty weak so suggested doing 'Goodmornings' for now and continue with squats. I guess that explains why my back hurts so much after dead.

My plan now is to do those goodmornings and continue with squats but also start doing lunges as well to keep building core strength. He said that it won't take too long for the back to get strong enough and he knows what he's on about so I'm going to go with that. :)

Soldato
Why so?

He did say to drop the weight too but to be honest I dislike deadlifts, so I'm happy to stop them for now. I know my back is weak, can feel it when squatting too.

In that case you'll probably need to use more gentle wash cycles to protect your lacy lingerie...

...or do deadlifts and get a strong back!

Caporegime
Got up to 140kg tonight on squats with no pad, it's pretty brutal for my rear delts/upper back, totally not used to it :p

it will hurt the first couple of times, and the next day, but your body get's used to it, im usually worrying too much about the pain in my legs though.

but if you stop training for a while then start again, the pain comes back. its a bit like thai boxers who condition their shins for leg kicks. after a while the pain just stops.

Soldato
What do people feel about rest weeks?

As in, do you take them and if so, how often?

I ask as I'm currently on one... driving me crazy and it's only monday!!!

I tend to take one once every two months or so just to not have to stress about fitting my training in, or if I'm feeling a bit tired overall and worn down. But I don't take it as 'enforced' rest - meaning if I feel like going for a run I do.

Man of Honour
I had a friend, who knows his stuff, watch me deadlift today to see where I was going wrong.

First he said that I needed to raised the weight up a bit because I'm not flexible enough to get decent form yet, which is fair enough. But when we raised it I was still not doing it correctly.

He said that whilst my legs can lift the weight my back is pretty weak so suggested doing 'Goodmornings' for now and continue with squats. I guess that explains why my back hurts so much after dead.

My plan now is to do those goodmornings and continue with squats but also start doing lunges as well to keep building core strength. He said that it won't take too long for the back to get strong enough and he knows what he's on about so I'm going to go with that. :)
Not flexible enough to deadlift?! Madness! Can you sit in a chair? Then you can deadlift :cool:

Case in point: raising the bar didn't fix your problem. From what you've said and what he's suggested (somewhat erroneously), I'm guessing your back rounds as you lift. This can be due to several things that we don't need to worry about at this stage, because in the vast majority of cases all you need to do is use a lot less weight until your form is perfect. You could also try using a trap bar as this is often easier to get into position with.

I dare say his stuff knowing ability has been exaggerated somewhat, probably by himself :p

LiE, you'll definitely get used to it. Once you do you'll wonder why you ever bothered with it.

Regarding rest weeks, listen to your body. Don't necessarily take them as a rule, but if you are having one there is plenty of stuff you can still do.

Soldato
Did a load of 50Kg powercleans yesterday... ouch my traps hurt today! It's also quite comical when you start to tire, then only one arm fails right at the top of the movement. Glad I wasn't filming it, lol.

I also set a new PB on the squat. More importantly though I think I have figured out why I struggle on the Squat. I try and keep my form strict, but when I go deep, I can really feel it in my lower back so subconsciously I don't go deep enough or sit far enough back in order to protect my back. I now think that my lower back tucking under is caused by really tight hamstrings.

Yesterday I spent a fair amount of time stretching my hamstrings before squatting and it really seemed to help with the form. I am also convinced that this is the cause of my long term back pain, putting me into a bad posture.

So what are the best exercises to do, to stretch and lengthen my hamstrings?

Last edited:
Soldato
Not flexible enough to deadlift?! Madness! Can you sit in a chair? Then you can deadlift :cool:

Case in point: raising the bar didn't fix your problem. From what you've said and what he's suggested (somewhat erroneously), I'm guessing your back rounds as you lift. This can be due to several things that we don't need to worry about at this stage, because in the vast majority of cases all you need to do is use a lot less weight until your form is perfect. You could also try using a trap bar as this is often easier to get into position with.

It's the very bottom of the lift that I struggled with, getting the spine neutral. Yes you are correct in saying that my back rounds. I could try using a trap bar, pretty sure the gym will have one. I think he said flexibility, or something, can't quite remember to be honest.

I dare say his stuff knowing ability has been exaggerated somewhat, probably by himself :p

He does talk the talk but he is a PT and has a fair few years of gym work under his belt, he's huge and pretty damn fit and he's also studying sports science or something. I must stress, he did say to lower the weight too.

Back is once again in pain today because I had done a couple of sets before speaking to him, was trying to take a video of my lift but my phone was being stupid. :(

What do you guys think of lunges? It was something I thought of after seeing someone else doing them yesterday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom