*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
That chap that died, only watched one video of him messing about and stuff but is it me or we his legs not in proportion to his upper body?

Yeah I noticed this when I first saw him, but to be honest he wasn't really properly "Big" anyway. Legs definitely lacked the definition he had higher up.

Man of Honour
Really? I would have his physique in a second. Of course there are guys that are stacked and cut but he had a very good balance of the two.

Yeah, really :p

I didn't say he didn't have a good physique - I am definitely both mirin and mad jelly - but you can see he's not got the definition in his legs that he has in his upper body.

Permabanned
Yeah, really :p

I didn't say he didn't have a good physique - I am definitely both mirin and mad jelly - but you can see he's not got the definition in his legs that he has in his upper body.

He was an aesthetist, never went the mass route only wanted the perfect traditional action man type physique. Not bulky enough for my tastes but it was a very well crafted body, i highly doubt steroids played much of a role in his death, although substances like ephedrine which he maqy have used to keep lean could certainly have strained the heart. We will truly never know.

DJ_Jestar - if you are training in the gym prior, i can only assume you must be training for at least 1hour, after 60 mins of weight training your cortisol levels will start to rise and your test levels decline. We take a PWO shake/meal in order to stem the cortisol and limit anabolism.

By sitting in a steam room / sauna without first taking in some protein your basically losing valuable mass and gaining nothing at all. This is schoolboy stuff and you've been around these parts long enough to know this.

Permabanned
Well he would go to a lot of festivals and its not like he was drinking alcohol at them not with a body like that, who knows if steroids or illegal drugs use had a factor in his death.

Caporegime
DJ_Jestar - if you are training in the gym prior, i can only assume you must be training for at least 1hour, after 60 mins of weight training your cortisol levels will start to rise and your test levels decline. We take a PWO shake/meal in order to stem the cortisol and limit anabolism.

By sitting in a steam room / sauna without first taking in some protein your basically losing valuable mass and gaining nothing at all. This is schoolboy stuff and you've been around these parts long enough to know this.

I appreciate that, but I would have thought the length of time spent in a steam room has a big effect, no? Basically I'm asking is 30mins going to hurt?

Also I'm asking here, because there is conflicting info on the 'net about the effects it has on cortisol/test levels. :)

Permabanned
Well he would go to a lot of festivals and its not like he was drinking alcohol at them not with a body like that, who knows if steroids or illegal drugs use had a factor in his death.

It will never be known because the compounds are simply not studied. Some of the best in the business, mike mentzer and strong man jon pall sigmarssun both died of non-specific heart complications accredited to an undiagnosed genitic issue.

The fact is, bodybuilding to the point of any of those mentioned, is not healthy. You look for all the world like a paradigm of physical health and fitness but you are not.

A truly healthy human is about 20% bodyfat, eats a balanced diet slightly exceeding his or her daily requirement, can handle a few press ups and sit ups and run around 5 miles. This is all that we are designed for.

If your a ripped lifter your basically a muscled, emaciated, malnourished animal, who on top of which engages regularly in stressful activity and possibly deliberately imbalances the precise bodily functions that keep us alive each day with all kinds of untested drug use.

There is very little healthy about being a good bodybuilder.

Permabanned
I appreciate that, but I would have thought the length of time spent in a steam room has a big effect, no? Basically I'm asking is 30mins going to hurt?

Also I'm asking here, because there is conflicting info on the 'net about the effects it has on cortisol/test levels. :)

Well i wont go into a debate on cortisol effects because it will fast descend into things neither of us knows enough about to debate.

But if we can agree on the following as being to the best of my knowledge the truth -

1)cortisol limits anabolism and promotes catabolism
2)cortisol levels begin to rise after 1hour of weight training
3)cortisol levels are stifled by fast acting protein such as whey which promote anabolism.

Then we can conclude that absoloutely ANY time you waste between the last rep of your session and an intake of a PWO shake is costing you muscle. Doesnt matter if its a steam room, drive home, half hour on the phone to the missus. All the time you waste you are catabolic.

Shake first sauna after its not exactly hard is it?

Permabanned
It will never be known because the compounds are simply not studied. Some of the best in the business, mike mentzer and strong man jon pall sigmarssun both died of non-specific heart complications accredited to an undiagnosed genitic issue.

The fact is, bodybuilding to the point of any of those mentioned, is not healthy. You look for all the world like a paradigm of physical health and fitness but you are not.

A truly healthy human is about 20% bodyfat, eats a balanced diet slightly exceeding his or her daily requirement, can handle a few press ups and sit ups and run around 5 miles. This is all that we are designed for.

If your a ripped lifter your basically a muscled, emaciated, malnourished animal, who on top of which engages regularly in stressful activity and possibly deliberately imbalances the precise bodily functions that keep us alive each day with all kinds of untested drug use.

There is very little healthy about being a good bodybuilder.

Basically everything in moderation! I wonder if his "crew" will take it easy now due to this because they all look the same and got up to the same stuff.

Caporegime
Well i wont go into a debate on cortisol effects because it will fast descend into things neither of us knows enough about to debate.

But if we can agree on the following as being to the best of my knowledge the truth -

1)cortisol limits anabolism and promotes catabolism
2)cortisol levels begin to rise after 1hour of weight training
3)cortisol levels are stifled by fast acting protein such as whey which promote anabolism.

Then we can conclude that absoloutely ANY time you waste between the last rep of your session and an intake of a PWO shake is costing you muscle. Doesnt matter if its a steam room, drive home, half hour on the phone to the missus. All the time you waste you are catabolic.

Shake first sauna after its not exactly hard is it?

I'm with you. :)

However, I'm actually asking if the Steam Room itself will be of any detriment. I'm still drinking my shake the moment I am finished training, but I was asking if sitting in a hot steamy room for 30mins is going to hinder - not if I delay taking my shake for 30 mins is going to hinder :)

Soldato
Is there a minimum amount of protein you should have to inhibit cortisol levels? At the moment I tend to finish in the gym at 09:00, jump in the shower then be in work for 09:30 where I have my shake. I would prefer to keep it this way as I keep my Whey protein etc at work rather than carrying it around with me. but if I can have some other quick protein based snack before jumping in the shower (Some sort of protein flapjack type thing?) to help inhibit the cortisol, then that might work. :)

Soldato
His bodytype is actually what I'm 'semi' aiming for. Some decent mass but very good definition.

Anyway whilst yous lot are mirin him I'm currently mirin and consuming this...

IMAG0009.jpg

What is that?
Donner kebab left? Then.... :confused:

Birthday today and getting a chinese tonight :p, Laying off the 14+pints as Im packing for my new flat though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom