*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
90kg is good going! Nice.

Urgh, I have a twinge in my left upper back after BB press. I normally DB press but thought I would try BB just to mix things up a little.

The lifts were fine but I think I hurt it when putting the bar back after my last rep, particularly on the last set when I was obviously at my weakest. Think I must be doing something wrong as I remember this happened when I worked out ages ago.

Stupidly I did BB shoulder press after it so that didn't do much to help it! Might put a hot water bottle on it.

Caporegime
was going to go for a workout at 7, ended up falling asleep and woke up just now, looked outside and the weather is terrible (Scotland for you). it put me off going in the garage. I hope this is the last winter that my gym stays in the garage, should hopefully be going inside the new house or i might try and get my dad to just convert the garage into part of this home (fully insulated and heated, etc).

i think its time to bring the joggies and hoodies out and put the shorts away.

will just train tomorrow.

Associate
Anybody know a decent gym that doesn't cost a fortune around the Canary Wharf/Poplar area or even Bank/St Paul's?

I don't care about sauna/pool/freebj or any of that crap, just want a Squat cage, Dip/pullup station and bench for Bench pressing lol. Spit and sawdust is fine. :)

Saw a LA Fitness around Canary wharf but sweet baby Jesus £99 for 6 weeks. :eek:

Caporegime
Anybody know a decent gym that doesn't cost a fortune around the Canary Wharf/Poplar area or even Bank/St Paul's?

I don't care about sauna/pool/freebj or any of that crap, just want a Squat cage, Dip/pullup station and bench for Bench pressing lol. Spit and sawdust is fine. :)

Saw a LA Fitness around Canary wharf but sweet baby Jesus £99 for 6 weeks. :eek:

any universities in the area?

Soldato
was going to go for a workout at 7, ended up falling asleep and woke up just now, looked outside and the weather is terrible (Scotland for you). it put me off going in the garage. I hope this is the last winter that my gym stays in the garage, should hopefully be going inside the new house or i might try and get my dad to just convert the garage into part of this home (fully insulated and heated, etc).

i think its time to bring the joggies and hoodies out and put the shorts away.

will just train tomorrow.

Can you not put a temporary heater in to warm it up a bit?

Suppose it does get pretty cold up there!

Caporegime
Can you not put a temporary heater in to warm it up a bit?

Suppose it does get pretty cold up there!

there is zero insulation mate, there is no point, with the size of the garage and the amount it would cost to heat the place up just for the heat to vanish within 60 seconds would be a joke.

you just have to wear extra layers, and if you get sweaty you normally cant take them off, or else you will catch a cold.

much better to have a home gym inside the home so to speak or have a custom built garage or shed type thing which is fully insulated.

last winter it got up to -18C was it? i couldn't train for like 2 months and basically got into a rut because of it.

it's the biggest disadvantage of having a home gym, unless you live in miami lol

Soldato
I'm considering the possibility of a home gym in the future but I'd need a double garage as the garage is used for normal stuff.

The gym I use at the moment is fantastic though, not looking forward to moving away from it in a couple of months.

Caporegime
I'm considering the possibility of a home gym in the future but I'd need a double garage as the garage is used for normal stuff.

The gym I use at the moment is fantastic though, not looking forward to moving away from it in a couple of months.

look at the official home gym building thread, that deal Psymonkee is buying is very good value for money and everything you need bar matting, you can then add stuff later on as you so wish.

or even better go 2nd hand and just re-furb the stuff that needs it.

also my garage had loads of crap in it before hand, i cleared the whole thing out, just basically dumped everything and scrapped the metal, it took 2 weeks to clear out (stacked from floor to roof high), but it was all for the best.

Soldato
Yeah, that thread is what gave me the idea. The cost isn't really that big a deal to be honest, especially if you end up using it for more than a couple of years, it'll pay for itself.

The main problem is space, the garage is used at the moment and probably always will be used so that's a big hurdle to over come!

Man of Honour

I'd post on Sugden mate, they'd certainly know

Man of Honour
Forgot to write the rest of my workout from thursday,

Squat 2x10x175kg
SLDL 2x10x160kg+18kg chains
Incline DB bench 2x10x45kg
Pullup 2x10x10kg
Dips 2x10x40kg
Hang-clean to push-press 2x10x70kg

...all of which are PBs :)

Did some mobility/soft tissue work and some 10 yard sprints and 3 cone drill today. My conditioning sucks \o/ :D

Good to see your grip is coming along LiE :cool:

Soldato
On resting in between reps: It varies with the length of the set. 5s or fewer get a breath to reset. Longer sets might take 2 breaths. During the last few reps of a true 20RM squat, just do what Jesus tells you.

:p

Brilliant

Deadlifts that are too heavy to pull generally don't take very long; the bar just kinda lays there. So if trying to move immovable objects was dangerous from the standpoint of stroke, the history of the human race would be littered with stupid people's corpses.

Last edited:
Caporegime
90kg is good going! Nice.

Urgh, I have a twinge in my left upper back after BB press. I normally DB press but thought I would try BB just to mix things up a little.

The lifts were fine but I think I hurt it when putting the bar back after my last rep, particularly on the last set when I was obviously at my weakest. Think I must be doing something wrong as I remember this happened when I worked out ages ago.

Stupidly I did BB shoulder press after it so that didn't do much to help it! Might put a hot water bottle on it.

Cheers buddy, as I said I'm dead chuffed :)

I think shored press does a similar thing for me also.....same with bench sometimes, just need to take time before the lifts to limber up, even if it is boring! Might be a mobility issue also

Soldato
More Ripptoe quotes (the deleted post)

A 2 pound weight gain doesn't count, since it is the size of an average turd.

If you insist on wearing gloves, make sure they match your purse.

Newb: Got any good ab exercises?

Rip: Got any better questions?

There is never an absolute answer to everything, except of course that you have to do your squats.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom