*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Hey guys, just after some advice. I've been lifting weights on and off for years, always at home. I'm after some cheap cast iron weights as it's getting tiresome taking weights off the barbell to stick on the dumbbell and vice versa, I'd like to just move straight onto the next exercise without the pause. Can anyone recommend any places that sell 20kg+ cast iron weights? I was also looking into places that sell heavy barbells that are already like 15kg+ in weight. Last question, might sound a bit silly but never really seen it answered anywhere, is it safe to leave a weighted barbell resting on the bench? Talking 100kg+, I've got your bog standard bench from Argos but I worry that the whole thing will eventually snap if I leave weights resting on it. Maybe I'm just getting impatient. :p

Caporegime
Hey guys, just after some advice. I've been lifting weights on and off for years, always at home. I'm after some cheap cast iron weights as it's getting tiresome taking weights off the barbell to stick on the dumbbell and vice versa, I'd like to just move straight onto the next exercise without the pause. Can anyone recommend any places that sell 20kg+ cast iron weights? I was also looking into places that sell heavy barbells that are already like 15kg+ in weight. Last question, might sound a bit silly but never really seen it answered anywhere, is it safe to leave a weighted barbell resting on the bench? Talking 100kg+, I've got your bog standard bench from Argos but I worry that the whole thing will eventually snap if I leave weights resting on it. Maybe I'm just getting impatient. :p

you may want to take a look at this thread

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18270342

i wouldnt risk it on an argos bench tbh, most likely cheap and unreliable.

whereabouts are you? i have some old standard cast iron plates ive been meaning to sell as scrap metal because nobody wants them lol

your best bet is to get a set of ironmasters if you want the cheapest yet highest quality dumbells

http://www.valleyfitness.co.uk/Adjustable Dumbbell/quicklock-adjustable-dumbbell

or

http://www.valleyfitness.co.uk/Adjustable Dumbbell/quicklock-120-combo

it depends on how seriously you take your lifting though, if you just do it part time so to speak, then just get some standard plates from fitness superstore

Caporegime
added lots of pictures of my home gym to the official home gym thread, make sure you take a look so you can see what im working with.

york dumbells were bought second hand for cheap (compared to brand new anyway, still cost me loads) late last year, trying to find time to re-furb them, more than 50% done but the heavier ones need doing and a couple of the other ones need finishing off.

Associate
any universities in the area?
not nearby unfortunately but they are a lot cheaper.
I'd post on Sugden mate, they'd certainly know

Cheers I haven't posted but I looked around and found this:
http://muscleworksgym.co.uk/

It's not in the Canary Wharf area, it's in Bethnal Green but it should be fairly convenient for me to get there so unless I can find something else really close and nearly free this will be it. :D

Man of Honour
I wonder how much those sweet abz cost him?

I'll stick to doing 100 crunches and situps every day.

:edit: Just in case anyone was wondering, the second line of this post was in jest - I'm not an idiot :p

Caporegime
He could have at least had the decency to get some liposuction first!

liposuction is the worst thing you can do, most doctors refuse to even do it nowadays, that gastric band thing is what is in.

liposuction actually removes your fat cells.

think of your fat cells as water balloons made for carrying fat inside your body. each fat cell holds fat evenly, therefore every fat cell should have roughly the same amount of fat in it.

i think everyone has the same number of fat cells in them, but the placement of fat cells differ from person to person.

for example black women tend to have more fat cells in their "booty", some women tend to have more fat cells in their breast area, etc. sometimes why you see women with big boobs and small frame, or guys with lean legs and fat upper bodies.

so if you remove the fat cells from your stomach area and then you continue eating like you normally did, fat will then be spread about all the other fat cells like before, except less fat will now be stored in your stomach area, now you will have fat arms, thighs, etc but a thin stomach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom