Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Another quick workout

Bit of squatting
BOR 60kgx10, 80kgx10x2
Incling DB bench 35kgx10x3
Single arm BD row 35kgx6, 42.5kgx6, 50kgx6x4
Close grip bench 70kgx6, 90kgx6, 110kgx2x2

Nothing too aggressive as I'm seeing my physio again tomorrow :)

Soldato
Another quick workout

Bit of squatting
BOR 60kgx10, 80kgx10x2
Incling DB bench 35kgx10x3
Single arm BD row 35kgx6, 42.5kgx6, 50kgx6x4
Close grip bench 70kgx6, 90kgx6, 110kgx2x2

Nothing too aggressive as I'm seeing my physio again tomorrow :)

I'm impressed with your Incline DB bench - crickey thats good :)

close grip bench results are pretty crazy too !

I'm I think 70kgx3 x 4 on that :( !

Man of Honour
I could probably get 10 reps out of the 47.5-50kg DBs, but I'm likely to be getting some soft tissue work on my shoulders/pec at my physio so I was going light with short-ish rests.

Pleased with the close grip bench considering I did it last, but on any other day I would have gone a bit heavier. It was very unstable in my hands though, managed to slip out of my grip and catch my spotter by surprise... luckily the bar landed just below my ribs so it didn't hurt :o

I've not done db rows is a long time, I've decided I like them again. Possibly enjoying them more with very strict form, but I really need more weight...

Associate
Was training chest today and got chatting to this *HUGE* guy who I've seen training down there quite often (definitely the most ripped/strong guy down there and not an ounce of fat). We were just chatting about routines and he mentioned it might be worth me quitting the 3x8 for a bit and working on strength as I seem to have stalled a bit.

I agreed, I was actually going to change up my routine anyway (definitely needs doing) and chatted to him about what he does - he said he got a routine off one of the ex strongman lifters who he used to train with.

Each session you work towards your 1RM (I'm estimating 80 as mine as I pushed out 4 on 70 after 8x60 8x60 6x65 4x70) - his example of bench press:

1: 20kg x 6
2: 50kg x 4
3: 70kg x 2
4: 75kg x 1 and then continue by loading 2.5kg a time until I stall
Finally rep 60kg or so.

I'm just wondering what people's thoughts are on this - I was thinking more of doing more along the lines of 3x5 and maybe a 1x3 at near on max weight but I really haven't read enough about the pure strength side of training.

Soldato
In a sense :p...Bloody busy though!

So you're working at the gym in the evenings as well then primarily? I hope the house buying goes well though, something I would love to do really :)

Yeah. The gyms 2 minutes walk away from me and I've trained there whenever I've been back from uni so it works quite well. Just more boring than anything else generally.

The PT market in there is basically nil. It's a council gym trying to be a health club. Any PT fee I'd see about 30% of so it's not even worth the effort, through the books anyway. Regardless of that I still get a small wage from it which helps bring in an extra bit of cash each month which will help to overpay the mortgage.

The house is effectively bought, just awaiting my completion date in October so that I can organise moving & the delivery of appliances and materials like tiles and boards for the loft.

Lots to do but with no set move in date I can't do much except make pretty lists, lol

Caporegime
Hah yeah, makes sense...Shame it's not a slightly bigger gym then I guess, would be much more fun for you :)

Sucks if you don't have a move in date, you're constantly on your toes! Ah well, hopefully you get the date soon then the lists can be put in to action!

Was training chest today and got chatting to this *HUGE* guy who I've seen training down there quite often (definitely the most ripped/strong guy down there and not an ounce of fat). We were just chatting about routines and he mentioned it might be worth me quitting the 3x8 for a bit and working on strength as I seem to have stalled a bit.

I agreed, I was actually going to change up my routine anyway (definitely needs doing) and chatted to him about what he does - he said he got a routine off one of the ex strongman lifters who he used to train with.

Each session you work towards your 1RM (I'm estimating 80 as mine as I pushed out 4 on 70 after 8x60 8x60 6x65 4x70) - his example of bench press:

Finally rep 60kg or so.

I'm just wondering what people's thoughts are on this - I was thinking more of doing more along the lines of 3x5 and maybe a 1x3 at near on max weight but I really haven't read enough about the pure strength side of training.

To be honest, that's kind of how I train on a standard 3 day split.......However I have currently dropped the weight and upped the reps and doing it that way for now to see how things go

Man of Honour

Finally rep 60kg or so.

I don't like it myself. If you asked me I'd have you doing triples and sets of five somewhere between 60-75% of your max. As a relative newbie, technique is where you'll see a large amount of strength increase from.

Doing quite a few reps at high percentages of your max will end up causing problems if your form isn't good, and strength gains will plateaux quickly.

Soldato
Doing quite a few reps at high percentages of your max will end up causing problems if your form isn't good, and strength gains will plateaux quickly.

Agreed. Until your certain you're correctly activating the muscles I wouldn't be lifting your 1RM or just short of it as you run the risk of loading supporting muscles. For example shoulders coming forward during bench or spinal errector flexion during deadlifting. This not only restricts the amount you'll be able to lift but also can set yourself up for injury and imbalance.

Associate
I was a little bit worried about it to be honest, hence my questioning it.

By triples and sets of five you mean 3x5 or 3x5 and a couple of x3.

Thing is, my technique is good, I dropped back the weight to work on it and have had a couple of people check it out to make sure (shoulders pressed right back, back arched, core tensed) I just haven't gone anywhere in a while. I'll try and record next weeks so you get an idea of it.

Bored of this plateau so need to power through it.

Soldato
Triples is just a single set of 3 reps. Doubles is a single set of 2 reps. So 3 triples would be 3 x 3.

Rather than struggling on a heavy weight and forcing out slow continuous reps. Use a weight that you can accelerate. By this I mean that on the concentric (pushing/pulling phase) not only does the weight move but also gains momentum & speed.

Also not training to failure is beneficial in lots of ways, especially recovery, so much so that I rarely train to failure. You can still train hard and heavy you just need to know when to finish a set.

Soldato
Many thanks for your replies regarding my diet.

I understand I have been here a while and should know better, but I don't (hence the need to ask). I've still much to learn. I have decided the following is far better for macros:

231g Protein/day (1.5 x 154)
195g Carbs/day
130g of fats a day - of which 25-30g of saturates (the max recommended by the sticky).

I'll stick to 2767 calories for now based upon the Harris-Benedict equation.

I currently weigh 154 pounds, roughly 70kg, so as I go to the gym more and more, the above is likely to change. There is a small risk that my carb intake might be a little low, but it is a science and a learning process for me and it's high time I took diet more seriously - if anything I am not gaining strength or size (quite the opposite at the moment) unless I do eat more.

My diet plan will be presented on here this evening, as I haven't got round to completing it. I plan to officially start the diet tomorrow morning though so that I can start seriously back at the gym this Saturday.

All help greatly appreciated as always.

Kind regards,

David

Associate
Day 2 of LF, hopefully today in the gym I won't feel like passing out :p

Training fasted I take it?

I only do that on a saturday as Im down the gym early.
Otherwise its two meals before hand for me.

Have thought about changing gyms and going at lunch time so I could save time and also try fasted training.

Let me know how you get on.
Be interested to know how you find it.

Caporegime
Rather than struggling on a heavy weight and forcing out slow continuous reps. Use a weight that you can accelerate. By this I mean that on the concentric (pushing/pulling phase) not only does the weight move but also gains momentum & speed.

Also not training to failure is beneficial in lots of ways, especially recovery, so much so that I rarely train to failure. You can still train hard and heavy you just need to know when to finish a set.

I prefer training like this now, as I can control the weight more and hit the muscles better :)

Well, I am certainly paying for it today atleast!

Soldato
Well, I am certainly paying for it today atleast!

Makes the recovery less painful & quicker, leaves you feeling fresher and stronger.

I gave a chaps legs a beasting yesterday actually. He only asked me to check his form on his hang clean & press and I ended up making him doing about 10 tonnes volume on the press, and about another 2 tonnes each on ham curl & leg extension before throwing him on to the bike and getting him to keep it above 280 watts on level 13 of which after about 80 seconds he gave up.

Poor chap :D

He said he was a hard gainer so we'll see :cool:

GAC

GAC

Soldato
well back at it now after having a funky knee from falling over the dog, dont ask.

but a nice day was had today hopefully i can start cranking up the weights again now.

Elliptical Trainer:
0:20:00 (+40 pts)
Barbell Bench Press:
176 lb x 8 reps (+66 pts)
132 lb x 8 reps (+50 pts)
Hack Squat:
88 lb x 8 reps (+16 pts)
88 lb x 8 reps (+16 pts)
88 lb x 8 reps (+16 pts)
hack squat machine