*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
fiancee was supposed to come at 3pm and record my lifts today.

she arrives at 4.30pm and we have a 21st party to go to at half 6, which i need to shave my head and beard for after my workout, then get showered and ready to go out, as well as eat some food/supplements. queue the quickest squatting session ever.

done roughly 6-8 reps of each and she recorded with barely any rest in between.

70kg, 100kg, 120kg, 140kg, 160kg, 180kg.

she said the bar was bending on 180kg, obviously i have never noticed this as the bar is behind me but i thought that was cool.

LIKE A BOSS

so i have the vids recorded. went to party, just got home, im tired and my legs and back are sore, so im going to sleep.

tomorrow im away all day (work) and saturday im away all day as well (fiancee's birthday).

if i get a chance tomorrow, if i wake up early, i will upload and pm icecold/delvis, otherwise most likely going to be sunday guys.

Soldato
I think I've cracked it, diet as follows:

Breakfast: 45g Quaker Oats, 2x full scrambled eggs, 1x tin of tuna.
Kcal: 570 : Protein 55.9g : Carbs 42.3g : Fats 21.2g incl. 7.7g saturates

Snack: 50g Almonds, 150g Cottage Cheese.
Kcal: 380 : Protein 25.9g : Carbs 8.75g : Fats 29.2g incl. 3.1g saturates

Lunch: 2x Pitta Bread served each with 150g Ham, lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes
Kcal: 600 : Protein 65g : Carbs 75g : Fats 9.5g incl. 3.6g saturates

Workout: 1x Banana, 1x scoop Vanilla Pharma PHD HT+
Kcal: 298 : Protein 19.7g : Carbs 25.2 : Fats 1.8 incl. 0.2g saturates

Evening meal: Full pack of salmon (280g), 100g Brown basmati rice, 1x steam bag of veg
Kcal: 760.5 : Protein 76.3 : Carbs 29.2g : Fats 36.1 incl. 8g saturates.
--

This is for a total of 2988.5 kcal, 268.7g Protein, 189.2g carbs, 101.7g Fats, 25.7g saturated fats. If anything, the kcals and protein are a little on the high side, but I'll give it a try for a few weeks to see what happens instead of messing around so much with 'what if's' and uncertainty.

I haven't been able to start on this diet today as I had to help my brother do some work but I will be starting it Saturday. Plan to do my legs on Saturday, really looking forwards to it with some new enthusiam. My pb on squats is a pathetic 65kg, my pb on bench press is 60kg, on my present diet of 1600-2000 calories, 2g saturated, unknown carbs or protein (but very little). So I'm expecting a much better result in the coming weeks. Since I started I went from 80kg to 67kg so I've not been eating enough and I keep plateuring and my strength keeps decreasing as a result.

Could this be improved further or is this a good base to work from?

Kind regards,

David

Associate
Used of them B.M.I machine things yesterday:

Weight: 10st 10lb
Height: 5' 7.3"
BMI: 23.4

Im 16, first time Iv checked my height for ages, was around 5' 4, last time I checked ha.

Associate
Right guys - rip me apart.
110x3
Sorry about the silly angle, will get a better one next time but was in a bit of a rush.

Wasn't lifting as well as usual as I'd literally just rolled out of bed (mate picked me up and I'd slept through my alarm), but I'd just like to get people's thoughts.

Caporegime
You're doing it all wrong. You shouldn't be on the wall like that! Deadlifts are supposed to be done on the floor!

Anywho.. it's hard to tell accurately due to rotation of vid, but I think you're over extending a little. The deadlift should be from a dead weight on the floor to standing position and no further. On two of those reps it looks like you went a little more than standing posture/position. Other than that it looks good, your back doesn't flex, and you're not raising hips before back.

Associate
Yeh sorry about the rotation, I assumed I could change the rotation on youtube after I uploaded but apparently not.

See what you mean about over extending (bad advice off a friend hah), will attempt to get that under control.

Soldato
110x3

You're over extending. There's no need and no benefit.

Explode so that you're standing bolt upright. Your hips 'thump' slightly in to the bar. Once your past the knees they pop forward and the bar makes contact with your thighs. Stop here and then begin the negative :)

Other than that it looks good but we can't see how wide your grip is or your shoulder positioning particularly well.

From what I can see it's by no means dangerous apart from your over extension. If you over extend when lifting heavy and loose your balance you're potentially going to crush vertebrae together and risk serious injury.

Man of Honour
fiancee was supposed to come at 3pm and record my lifts today.

she arrives at 4.30pm and we have a 21st party to go to at half 6, which i need to shave my head and beard for after my workout, then get showered and ready to go out, as well as eat some food/supplements. queue the quickest squatting session ever.

done roughly 6-8 reps of each and she recorded with barely any rest in between.

70kg, 100kg, 120kg, 140kg, 160kg, 180kg.

she said the bar was bending on 180kg, obviously i have never noticed this as the bar is behind me but i thought that was cool.

LIKE A BOSS

so i have the vids recorded. went to party, just got home, im tired and my legs and back are sore, so im going to sleep.

tomorrow im away all day (work) and saturday im away all day as well (fiancee's birthday).

if i get a chance tomorrow, if i wake up early, i will upload and pm icecold/delvis, otherwise most likely going to be sunday guys.
That's fine mate :)
I think I've cracked it, diet as follows:

Breakfast: 45g Quaker Oats, 2x full scrambled eggs, 1x tin of tuna.
Kcal: 570 : Protein 55.9g : Carbs 42.3g : Fats 21.2g incl. 7.7g saturates

Lunch: 2x Pitta Bread served each with 150g Ham, lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes
Kcal: 600 : Protein 65g : Carbs 75g : Fats 9.5g incl. 3.6g saturates

Workout: 1x Banana, 1x scoop Vanilla Pharma PHD HT+
Kcal: 298 : Protein 19.7g : Carbs 25.2 : Fats 1.8 incl. 0.2g saturates

Evening meal: Full pack of salmon (280g), 100g Brown basmati rice, 1x steam bag of veg
Kcal: 760.5 : Protein 76.3 : Carbs 29.2g : Fats 36.1 incl. 8g saturates.
--

This is for a total of 2988.5 kcal, 268.7g Protein, 189.2g carbs, 101.7g Fats, 25.7g saturated fats. If anything, the kcals and protein are a little on the high side, but I'll give it a try for a few weeks to see what happens instead of messing around so much with 'what if's' and uncertainty.

I haven't been able to start on this diet today as I had to help my brother do some work but I will be starting it Saturday. Plan to do my legs on Saturday, really looking forwards to it with some new enthusiam. My pb on squats is a pathetic 65kg, my pb on bench press is 60kg, on my present diet of 1600-2000 calories, 2g saturated, unknown carbs or protein (but very little). So I'm expecting a much better result in the coming weeks. Since I started I went from 80kg to 67kg so I've not been eating enough and I keep plateuring and my strength keeps decreasing as a result.

Could this be improved further or is this a good base to work from?

Kind regards,

David
Looks infinitely better.

The reason I made the point about saturated fat was that it isn't at all bad for you and there is no reason to count how much you eat.
110x3
Sorry about the silly angle, will get a better one next time but was in a bit of a rush.

Wasn't lifting as well as usual as I'd literally just rolled out of bed (mate picked me up and I'd slept through my alarm), but I'd just like to get people's thoughts.
I'm not entirely sure because of the angle, but it looks like your lower back is bent. If it is, it's a recipe for disaster.

Soldato
only using flat bench as its a good reference point - but how satisfying is it as you ramp up the weights :)

I "tried" 32kg dumbells 1 week ago - had to be spotted, managed a couple of reps - but "felt heavy"

today - the 32s still "looked big,large,intimidating" - to me anyway - but went up so easy :) -no spotting required - 3 sets of 5 felt easy

34s on Monday :)

such a buzz as you progress

Man of Honour
yeah it's good to feel that you're progressing, welldone mate!just make sure that you don't reduce your range of motion.

get squatting and deadlifting though!

Caporegime
110x3

Is his bum not a bit too high from the start? I always get told by you guys to get my butt lower?! :p

But yes, try not to overextend

Soldato
I made a little progress today - always good. I had a good breakfast today, so I think the extra energy helped.

Deep Squats I did 5x 60kg, 5x 60kg, 5x 65kg, 5x65kg 5x70kg
SLDLs I did 5x60kg, 5x60kg, 5x65kg 5x70kg and 5x80kg
Seated calf raise I did 5x30kg, 5x30kg, 5x35kg, 5x35kg and 5x50kg

By far the best improvement was with my Seated Calf exercise which should help with my squats going up SLDLs I was hoping for better, but there is always next time.

Spent 35 mins on the bike then 20 mins in suana. Managed to remember my stretches eventually.

Not sure what I'll do on Sunday, I'll probably do shoulders and CV for 35 mins, although I think I'm going to increase that to 45mins.

Shoulders-wise, I'll probably do Dumb-bell shoulder press, Arnold press, shrugs, lat raises & delt raises.

Kind regards,

David

Soldato
Took my girlfriend training with me this afternoon and I think I may have hooked her on free weights. She always wanted to try but felt a bit intimidated with so many guys around and not knowing what to do. She also benched a very respectable 20kg.

I went up to 130kg for 3 reps. Felt tired : /

Man of Honour
I made a little progress today - always good. I had a good breakfast today, so I think the extra energy helped.

Deep Squats I did 5x 60kg, 5x 60kg, 5x 65kg, 5x65kg 5x70kg
SLDLs I did 5x60kg, 5x60kg, 5x65kg 5x70kg and 5x80kg
Seated calf raise I did 5x30kg, 5x30kg, 5x35kg, 5x35kg and 5x50kg

By far the best improvement was with my Seated Calf exercise which should help with my squats going up SLDLs I was hoping for better, but there is always next time.

Spent 35 mins on the bike then 20 mins in suana. Managed to remember my stretches eventually.

Not sure what I'll do on Sunday, I'll probably do shoulders and CV for 35 mins, although I think I'm going to increase that to 45mins.

Shoulders-wise, I'll probably do Dumb-bell shoulder press, Arnold press, shrugs, lat raises & delt raises.

Kind regards,

David
It sounds like you really need a workout plan to stick to. Try the one in the sticky for 6 weeks.

Also, I'm slightly concerned that you thinking stronger calfs will help with squats means that you're rocking forwards onto the front of your foot. Apart from the obvious exception of calf raises (and explosive oly lifts), and standing exercises should have you driving through your heals.

edit: nice benching regulus

Man of Honour
Hi chaps! Well, I'm at the airport waiting for my plane! Have you all missed me?! :p

Look forward to getting back into it all, but it's going to be hard work!! Definitely have lost some bulk, but definition is looking ok, however, 2 weeks of doing very little, eating good food and drinking beer won't be particularly anabolic ;)

Ah well! I might post some pics for you to perve over! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom