*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Low pulse!

Figures not too dissimilar to mine, though my stress levels have come down and BP is 120/64 at the moment. :)

Good readings elsewhere though :)

I was quite pleased considering I haven't done any real CV other than a few squash games recently!

My stress levels are quite high at the moment with lots to organise for when I move in October, currently covering 2 other peoples workloads at work and also trying to find another more permenant job, I still have a year left here though the job market isn't easy.

Never had my cholesterol measured before. Proves that 28 eggs a week isn't bad for you ;)

Man of Honour
Indeed, mine was 4.31 and I eat a lot of eggs, butter, nuts, ois and fatty meats (fish/and red meat). ;)

I was having high BP issues a while back, we're talking 160/90+!!!!

It's a silent killer, it's important to keep an eye on it. :)

Soldato
I did that the first time. Changed a few things again and it still gives some odd combinations.

2 cups Lentils
4 oz Pork
3 oz Tofu

Think I'll use it to get a rough idea but I can't see it being that useful for me.

Man of Honour
Jumped on the flat bench for some bb benching today and managed to get a couple of good clean reps at 95kg, not bad considering I've been sticking to db benching for the last year or so due to lack of spotter.
I think I've easily got 105kg in me for one just need to grab a spotter next time.

Last edited:
Soldato
This cutting thing sucks! 5 days in on ECA ( wont be discussing it), 2.5k cal diet and my regular routine. Feel deflated, hungry (regardless of the ECA), and rather shrimp-esque.

Daren't weigh myself until monday, I suspect I've lost a lot more than the steady 1-2lb/week I was hoping for (started at 196)

When cutting, would you guys favour the following;

3 day weights (back/shoulders, chest/arms, upper body power (PHAT training))
4 days weights (back, chest, shoulders, arms)

I can't do legs, my Hamstring is in pieces and has been for 2 months! Currently doing the PHAT training.

Soldato
Indeed, mine was 4.31 and I eat a lot of eggs, butter, nuts, ois and fatty meats (fish/and red meat). ;)

I was having high BP issues a while back, we're talking 160/90+!!!!

It's a silent killer, it's important to keep an eye on it. :)

The staff nurse said that the systolic reading is mostly emotional, which makes some sense. Though I thought having a lower pulse might have meant a higher pressure in the arterys during the systolic phase due to a stronger beat forcing more blood round, but apparently not.

When cutting, would you guys favour the following;

3 day weights (back/shoulders, chest/arms, upper body power (PHAT training))
4 days weights (back, chest, shoulders, arms)

Neither, I'd be doing a push/pull split to allow some high frequency fat burning and to also free up every other day for CV/intervals/conditioning.

Soldato
The staff nurse said that the systolic reading is mostly emotional, which makes some sense. Though I thought having a lower pulse might have meant a higher pressure in the arterys during the systolic phase due to a stronger beat forcing more blood round, but apparently not.

Neither, I'd be doing a push/pull split to allow some high frequency fat burning and to also free up every other day for CV/intervals/conditioning.

Any staple routine you'd reccomend?

Haven't strictly done a push/pull before, I'll read up when I'm home!

What do you mean by conditioning? I thought it was composition as a result of cardio/diet/lifting, please excuse my ignorance!

Soldato
Any staple routine you'd reccomend?

Haven't strictly done a push/pull before, I'll read up when I'm home!

Nothing in particular, just split the days like so:

Push:

Delt presses
Quads/glutes
Chest
Triceps
Calves

Pull:

Delt Raises
Hamstrings
Back
Traps
Biceps

And work the exercises in an aerobic manner. By this I mean try and alternate upper and lower body exercises, rather than doing all the upper pressing followed by the lower pressing. Not only will this burn more calories but will also allow you to work a bit more volume as you'll fatigue the areas too quickly otherwise.

Don't expect to progress much during a cutting phase especially with a push/pull, as you'll find the workouts challenging if you're not used to full body routines. Not to mention you'll be in a defecit. What I mean is don't be disappointed if you're not lifting your regular weights, even if you are it won't be maintainable, treat them as a fat burning lifting session rather than a strength/hypertrophy orientated session.

You'll probably find that after the cut it might help in several ways.

What do you mean by conditioning? I thought it was composition as a result of cardio/diet/lifting, please excuse my ignorance!

Conditioning & composition are related.

Rather than sitting on a boring ineffective bike to do your CV, do something a bit more exciting and challenging, such as circuits, boxing, hill sprints. Something that's going to help condition you for lifting & staying lean. You'll look better for it, find it more challenging and maybe even a little enjoyable.

Last edited:
Soldato
Olympia weekend is here!

YAY!!!!!

You watching? Its gonna be a few long nights but i plan on watching most of it. On my 2nd bottle of Katys 7.4% cider so that may help pass the time :cool:

Did some mobility last night. 1 2 3 + other foam roller stuff. definitely felt it in my inner thigh/groin area especially on the squat test but afterwards felt more mobile so thats good! will be doing it daily/every other day from now on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom