*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAz

PAz

Soldato
Holding the plates has never bothered me. Surely power cleans are annoying with hexagon plates?

My mate trains @ DW MK btw.

Soldato
Hexagon plates annoy me on deads, as it has a habit of rolling the bar around. One I've found is staggering the plates a bit and keeping the collar tight shortens the potential rolling distance though :). Luckily my gym has both round & hexagonal plates so I can bodge stuff together.

Soldato
Hey guys....

I need some serious diet advice. I've just moved out to Nepal for work and the choice of food/ingredients is absolutely shocking. I'm struggling to even hit 2000cal a day (I'm 72kg, 5'11") due to the fact that everything is vegetarian and the staples aren't great in terms of amount of calories. I expected to lose some weight while I was here, but I'm worried I'm going to lose all my muscle mass.

The ingredients options I've got are: white rice, lentils, potatoes, tomatoes, onions, garlic, eggs, flour, salt, sugar, bananas, the odd bell pepper and that's about it.

Worse still, I've only got a 2x burner gas hob and rice cooker, so my options are even more limited. I've been piling in the 3x egg omelets but even that's not enough to stave off the hunger and all of this seems to be food that fills you up but then you're hungry 2hrs later.

Any advice?

Man of Honour
Lentils are pretty good for protein as are many pulses I believe, you've got the ingredients there for lentil soup certainly and despite taking quite a long time to make (due to soaking the lentils/stewing etc) if you make it in batches that ought to be a fairly good way of getting some protein. Although carrots would be rather nice for the soup I guess you could substitute in either potatoes or the peppers. I've got a recipe if you're struggling to find one.

You should also be able to make some decent stews or curries with the lentils but I don't think there's anything much else in that list that's as high in protein. I may be wrong though of course.

Caporegime
Hey guys....

I need some serious diet advice. I've just moved out to Nepal for work and the choice of food/ingredients is absolutely shocking. I'm struggling to even hit 2000cal a day (I'm 72kg, 5'11") due to the fact that everything is vegetarian and the staples aren't great in terms of amount of calories. I expected to lose some weight while I was here, but I'm worried I'm going to lose all my muscle mass.

The ingredients options I've got are: white rice, lentils, potatoes, tomatoes, onions, garlic, eggs, flour, salt, sugar, bananas, the odd bell pepper and that's about it.

Worse still, I've only got a 2x burner gas hob and rice cooker, so my options are even more limited. I've been piling in the 3x egg omelets but even that's not enough to stave off the hunger and all of this seems to be food that fills you up but then you're hungry 2hrs later.

Any advice?

there is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, in fact, it is a lot healthier for you most likely and still has protein in it. i hate it when people say they need meat. as if they are going to die or shrink because they didnt eat it for a couple of days, i eat vegetarian all the time.

also i have been all over india which is next to nepal, and i could get meat anywhere i wanted, just no beef. both countries should be similar, as far as i am aware it is a hindu country therefore, similar to most parts of india.

ive had goat, fish, chicken on a regular basis whilst living there, you obviously dont know where to look.

i take it you have been going to shops and buying your stuff? thats not how it works over there, everything is fresh, if you want chicken look for a guy at the side of the road with live chickens in cages, he isn't selling pets. goat will be a lot more expensive as you will need to pay for the full thing. they will kill the animal and skin it in front of you. freshest meat you will ever have.

if you want fruit and veg, their should be stalls selling them outside. they will be fresh, etc. so the colour and size will be completely different from what you get over here

shops are only good for stuff you dont eat, like soap, toothpaste, etc.

i suggest you ask locals where to buy stuff from rather than going into shops.

i used to eat fish every day when i was living in punjab. was so cheap too, think i used to get 1KG cooked in front of me for £2. that was 6 years ago though, probably cost a lot more now.

vegetarian options high in protein are lentils, chickpeas, beans, pulses and paneer, nothing wrong with them. you should try lentil daal, the yellow one, its amazing. the brown and green ones, not so much.

Last edited:
Associate
I started off sharing the squat rack today, they wanted to use the neck pad so we did. For some reason I found it a lot easier with it on than without, could this be due to a different weight distribution at all? i.e centre of gravity?

TS7

TS7

Soldato
Decided I'm cancelling my membership to my current gym and joining another one. Having a gym in the city centre is rubbish. I joined because it was a no contract, new gym and the facilities are very good. However there's no free parking during the day, when I go in the evening I sometimes spend half an hour looking for a spot and last week someone hit my car and drove off!

Joining a gym with a car park now!

Soldato
Lentils are pretty good for protein as are many pulses I believe, you've got the ingredients there for lentil soup certainly and despite taking quite a long time to make (due to soaking the lentils/stewing etc) if you make it in batches that ought to be a fairly good way of getting some protein. Although carrots would be rather nice for the soup I guess you could substitute in either potatoes or the peppers. I've got a recipe if you're struggling to find one.

You should also be able to make some decent stews or curries with the lentils but I don't think there's anything much else in that list that's as high in protein. I may be wrong though of course.

Thanks a lot – really appreciate the advice. Adding in some potato/turnip to a stew is a good call.

there is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, in fact, it is a lot healthier for you most likely and still has protein in it. i hate it when people say they need meat. as if they are going to die or shrink because they didnt eat it for a couple of days, i eat vegetarian all the time.

also i have been all over india which is next to nepal, and i could get meat anywhere i wanted, just no beef. both countries should be similar, as far as i am aware it is a hindu country therefore, similar to most parts of india.

ive had goat, fish, chicken on a regular basis whilst living there, you obviously dont know where to look.

i take it you have been going to shops and buying your stuff? thats not how it works over there, everything is fresh, if you want chicken look for a guy at the side of the road with live chickens in cages, he isn't selling pets. goat will be a lot more expensive as you will need to pay for the full thing. they will kill the animal and skin it in front of you. freshest meat you will ever have.

if you want fruit and veg, their should be stalls selling them outside. they will be fresh, etc. so the colour and size will be completely different from what you get over here

shops are only good for stuff you dont eat, like soap, toothpaste, etc.

i suggest you ask locals where to buy stuff from rather than going into shops.

i used to eat fish every day when i was living in punjab. was so cheap too, think i used to get 1KG cooked in front of me for £2. that was 6 years ago though, probably cost a lot more now.

vegetarian options high in protein are lentils, chickpeas, beans, pulses and paneer, nothing wrong with them. you should try lentil daal, the yellow one, its amazing. the brown and green ones, not so much.

I live in one of the poorest regions of Nepal, so local people can't afford to eat meat. I'm buying what there is at the local fruit/veg market but there's barely any choice.

It's also the middle of Dashain festival so not much meat around anyway. Nepal is also a landlocked country, which means not much fish (certainly not fish I'd want to eat out of the filthy rivers. We also don't have power much of the day so no way to store meat which makes it tough.

Caporegime
Just ordered 5kg of whey and got some creatine aswell as its so cheap thought it would be good to have a try. Less real food from tomorrow onwards :p

From where? MyProtein? Not sure whether I should get the unflavored whey or not, damn flavored stuff is over a tenner more!

I started off sharing the squat rack today, they wanted to use the neck pad so we did. For some reason I found it a lot easier with it on than without, could this be due to a different weight distribution at all? i.e centre of gravity?

I'd just take it off personally, takes 5 seconds to put it back on :p...People in the school gym use the pad here, I take it off soon as I walk in on leg day :o

Soldato
It's only a couple of quid cheaper!

I tried unflavoured, it tastes of ****, but you soon get used to it.

£14 for a 5kg bag. Quite a difference.

@Delvis, yeah MP. Ordered before 2 so it should arrive tomorrow. Unflavoured isnt too bad. With milk it tastes just like.. milk. With water its a bit odd but its only a mouthful or 2 just neck it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom