*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Horrible isn't it?

I'm currently mixin two huge spoonfuls in water, adding a dash of flavoured instant oats and some milk.

Tastes okay then.

Will certainly be getting flavoured whey after this 5KG bag is over! I guess the good thing is I'm taking mroe of it just to get rid of it ;)
Why haven't you got scoops? Any idea how much a "huge spoonful" weighs?

Soldato
That's a pretty good routine and the rest of your advice has been awesome, but just a few points from observing beginners:

- avoid high rep deadlifts. Keep the reps low (3-5) and the weights light (60kg or less working up to 80kg MAX) for a few weeks until form is sorted. So few people know what neutral spine even feels like, it's shocking.

- similarly with SLDLs, I've seen people do them with zero hip hinge. Higher reps are fine here though, but caution is required.

- always maintain a ratio of at least 1:1 pulling: pushing, ideally more upper body pulling. For example with the program you posted you'd need the chins on weds (I'm assuming the brackets imply that they're optional...?) and something like DB rows, chest supported rows or inverted rows on friday.

- I have a personal vendetta against the upright row, may it die and never be seen again. Consider face pulls instead, which hit the shoulders much more safely.

After reading this I'd say I'd agree actually. Although I'm not a HUGE fan of upright rows, I do include them in my barbell complexes and with a wide grip and correctly positioned shoulders they're growing on me. My form before must have been horrific, I just didn't get on with them whatsoever.

wedgie, you may as well keep your diet constant for each day of the week. No need to mess around with carb cycling etc. at this stage. Cardiovascular exercise is important, your heart is a muscle too and should be worked like any other. Saying that I haven't done any proper cardio for the last few months! I do however do barbell complexes as I already mentioned, which if done at the right tempo does increase my heart rate sufficiently for duration to count as cardio. Might be something to consider if you're not a fan of conventional cardio exercises. Alternatively I also sometimes do HIIT on my rower, where I'd row flat out for 20 seconds, then slow down for 40, and repeat. Do that for 10 minutes and it's probably the most efficient form of cardio there is.

Aim for 1/2lb a week max, in fact don't aim for it. Certainly aiming for anything higher will result in fat gain, but aiming for numbers on the scales probably won't see you get the strength/aesthetic goals you're looking for. I prefer going by what I lift and looking in the mirror to see if there's any noticeable fat gain. By all means weigh yourself every couple of weeks or so, but don't get too obsessed with what the scales say as water weight and whatever's in your stomach can have quite a big impact if you're checking too frequently.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Some people can naturally get on with them better, but the amount of dysfunction the movement can result in is a little worrying.

I decided I didn't like them in my hugely ignorant early gym days because I couldn't work out what exactly they were supposed to do (i.e. not for a good reason, especially as I was probably doing them wrong), but I've since seen the movement slated by coaches that I trust. The basic problem seems to be that it creates faults if someone is internally rotated in their shoulders, and unfortunately most people have this problem.

The bottom line for me is that there are better exercises around; there is nothing the upright row does that can't be done with other things that can promote better shoulder health.

But yes, doing them as you describe would be less problematic.

Soldato
I have been dieting over the past year and a half,lost about 5 stone,still want to lose a couple more stone,but i have been doing weights every couple days.I started using protein after i do my weights,i have noticed allot of different sorts of protein you can buy but i am not sure what would be best for somebody in my situation.I get mixed views by people i have asked,some say its best to stay off the weights until your at your target weight,and some say there is no harm doing weights as part of your weight loss.The powder i have is MATRIX NUTRITION WHEY

Soldato
Pretty much set on a routine to start off with, now I'm struggling hard with the diet side of things. I have my overall targets which are -

Total daily cal - 2600

213g/852 cal protein
72g/648 cal fat
275g/1100 cal carbs

How the hell do I juggle all these and simultaneously reach the required goals, or am I overcomplicating things a little?

Man of Honour
If you're just starting out you don't want to over complicate things it just leads to you getting bogged down and confused. Just start off by keeping it clean and getting in plenty of good lean protein while sticking to your routine. Consistancy is key :)

Soldato
I have been dieting over the past year and a half,lost about 5 stone,still want to lose a couple more stone,but i have been doing weights every couple days.I started using protein after i do my weights,i have noticed allot of different sorts of protein you can buy but i am not sure what would be best for somebody in my situation.I get mixed views by people i have asked,some say its best to stay off the weights until your at your target weight,and some say there is no harm doing weights as part of your weight loss.The powder i have is MATRIX NUTRITION WHEY

Congratulations on your weight loss dude.

Depends, if you're concentrating solely on what you weigh by the scales, as opposed to how you look physically, then stick to losing the weight. There can be more than one way you appear physically at any weight, remember :p

kai

kai

Soldato
Thought i would post this weekend workout (lots of cable in there as this week has been lots of dumbell) for anyone who struggling to come up with a routine;

Friday

Machine leg press (pyramid set)
Leg extensions
Leg curls
Calf raises superset with body weight squats

Weighted Muscle Ups
Vertical push ups
Behind the head press machine
Cable upright rows
Cable shrugs
Cable rear delts

Sat

Behind the head pull downs
Machine rows
Cable bent over rows
Hyper extensions

Cable preacher curls
Bent over curls
Inclined hammer curls

Cable reverse curls

Sun

Cable incline press
Machine hammer press
Inclined dumbbell flyes
Failure Pressups (legs raised, standard, lowered)

Dumbbell pull overs
Cable skull crushers
Reverse curls
Seated dips

Last edited:
Soldato
Cable shrugs, IMO it's an awful exercise, DB/BB all the way! :)

12/10/8, with a 5 second pinch at the top of the pull on the last rep, yowzer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom