*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Nah it's more central than that basically on the two vertebrae that stick out slightly more than the rest although the stiffness is all over when i move my head. Possibly a combination of not having my back tight enough during squats and sleeping funny on it. Can't sit comfortably in this bloody chair without my lower back aching either :mad: Just one of those days

Associate
Yea icecold I bench with my index finger on the rings but never go closer grip on the bench, usaully do some addition tricep work with dumbbells and stuff. Yesterday was suprisingly tough 5 reps with a 2 second pause on the board, worked up to 107.5kg. Did some floor press with fat grips and then a shoulder circuit to finish things off.

Eat up and rest skill mister, a break never hurts :)

Soldato
Starting my cut today, but want to smash out a Deadlift PB as well. Going to be incorporating 20 minutes of HIIT in to my gym sessions; should I do the HIIT before deadlifts, or after my workout?

Soldato
I might just do 10 - 15 minutes instead and do it after. Something to burn the calories at lesat. I really need to get a cheap fixed barbell for doing complexes at home for a bit of calorie burning, and a skipping rope!

Actually that reminds me: are there are skip ropes designed for indoor skipping? Can imagine plastic ones making a horrible noise!

Caporegime
Woke up this morning with a really stiff neck and some pain when i tilt my head back or to the side around the base of the neck on the spine. Had a bit of this yesterday aswell. Is it possible it's down to my bar placement on squats as they have been getting a bit heavier recently?

How high is the bar?

Where are you looking during the squat?

Where is your head throughout the squat?

You shouldn't really be getting discomfort in any shape or form around the neck :)

Caporegime
I might just do 10 - 15 minutes instead and do it after. Something to burn the calories at lesat. I really need to get a cheap fixed barbell for doing complexes at home for a bit of calorie burning, and a skipping rope!

Actually that reminds me: are there are skip ropes designed for indoor skipping? Can imagine plastic ones making a horrible noise!

I got one from JB or sports direct ages ago for a fiver, it's a string type one, but to be honest it's huuuuuuuuuuge

Soldato
Nah it's more central than that basically on the two vertebrae that stick out slightly more than the rest although the stiffness is all over when i move my head. Possibly a combination of not having my back tight enough during squats and sleeping funny on it. Can't sit comfortably in this bloody chair without my lower back aching either :mad: Just one of those days

I've had a similar ache which I think I've pinned to doing Shrugs - do you do these? bear in mind the pain may not begin immediately after it's inflicted.

I find that when I shrug my shoulders up, when I'm fatigued I also tend to stoop my neck down if that makes sense? Makes my neck ache relentlessly for a couple of days.

Soldato
Sorry for yet another novice question, but I wanted to know whether squatting using the Smith is really all that bad / pointless as people make it out to be?

The gym staff said they will be expanding the weights section even more soonish, and will include a squat rack, but I don’t particularly want to wait until they do it (could be ages away for all I know)

Soldato
You just have to position your feet a bit further forwards (so that you're slightly leaning back compared to a normal squat) as the movement is slightly un-natural with a smith, but other than that nothing wrong with it as such.

As ever with using a smith for any exercise, you're severely limiting the use of your stabiliser muscles, so it's not ideal. But better than nothing :)

Soldato
You just have to position your feet a bit further forwards (so that you're slightly leaning back compared to a normal squat) as the movement is slightly un-natural with a smith, but other than that nothing wrong with it as such.

As ever with using a smith for any exercise, you're severely limiting the use of your stabiliser muscles, so it's not ideal. But better than nothing :)

Thanks mate, I don't particularly like the smith for that very reason.
I like the "control" my muscles learn when using a barbell, for instance it makes me feel stronger, even if I'm benching less weight.

Quick question though, is there any alternative form/position I can use to squat in stead of throwing the barbell over my shoulders?

Where in the beginning it's easy enough to do that, after a while when I progressively add load it will become much harder.

Caporegime
I've had a similar ache which I think I've pinned to doing Shrugs - do you do these? bear in mind the pain may not begin immediately after it's inflicted.

I find that when I shrug my shoulders up, when I'm fatigued I also tend to stoop my neck down if that makes sense? Makes my neck ache relentlessly for a couple of days.

Basically you're doing a pigeon dance? :p

pigeon_santa.gif

Caporegime
Thanks mate, I don't particularly like the smith for that very reason.
I like the "control" my muscles learn when using a barbell, for instance it makes me feel stronger, even if I'm benching less weight.

Quick question though, is there any alternative form/position I can use to squat in stead of throwing the barbell over my shoulders?

Where in the beginning it's easy enough to do that, after a while when I progressively add load it will become much harder.

Can you not do lunges?

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/DBLunge.html

Soldato

Possibly, but I don't think it will work all the intended muscles?

I'm going way back to basics and want to work on my strength as I found myself doing all the "newbie" mistakes by focussing too much on isolation. Decided on doing the stronglift 5x5, with the squat being the most important excersise (squat 3 times a week, each time loading an extra 5lbs on the weight) so I want to make sure I get it right before I start.

http://stronglifts.com/why-you-should-always-squat-with-free-weights/

He seems to recommend the Power Clean though I've never done it before.

Last edited:
Soldato
How high is the bar?

Where are you looking during the squat?

Where is your head throughout the squat?

You shouldn't really be getting discomfort in any shape or form around the neck :)
Dunno i'll work it out today on my warm up sets. I think it's probably slightly too high so it rests above my traps rather than on them. Which hasn't been a problem with lower weights but i think it's going consistently heavy that's the problem.

I don't shrug

Soldato
Then I will ironically shrug and say I have no idea what's up then! I certainly can't see how squatting would hurt it unless you're subconsciously straining your neck when the load is heavy on your legs.

Caporegime
Then I will ironically shrug and say I have no idea what's up then! I certainly can't see how squatting would hurt it unless you're subconsciously straining your neck when the load is heavy on your legs.

If the bar is higher and on 'top' of his traps it's probably putting pressure on his neck sligthely, that or he's looking at the floor :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom