*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

kai

kai

Soldato
Cable shrugs, IMO it's an awful exercise, DB/BB all the way! :)

12/10/8, with a 5 second pinch at the top of the pull on the last rep, yowzer!

Agree but these are not conventional cable shrugs ;) i do something different;

i do them on here for cable :D
shoulder_press_machine.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
hehe a lot of curls for the girls going on there Kai :)

Doing bench with wooden boards this saturday, trying improve my lockout. About 2 months ago I was off training thanks to a suspected hiatus hernia but turns out to be acid reflux, yay! Anyway last 6 weeks of training has been amazing, should be back to a 125kg bench soon. Max Squat has taken a dive but did manage 3reps for 10sets of 130kg yesterday, feeling it in the lower back a bit today though :(

Anyway it's great to be training again. Ah yea we've added a new nipper to our training group, his already benching 60kg and front squating 80kg at 15 years old. Hell I wasn't doing that at 20.

Man of Honour
Board pressing is a good tool, but good honest heavy tricep work would probably be sufficient. Do you do close grip bench? BTW the "powerlifting" definition for CG bench doesn't require you to go very narrow, for example I bench with the rings in between my index and middle finger, CGBP with index finger just off the knurling.

Soldato
Board pressing is a good tool, but good honest heavy tricep work would probably be sufficient. Do you do close grip bench? BTW the "powerlifting" definition for CG bench doesn't require you to go very narrow, for example I bench with the rings in between my index and middle finger, CGBP with index finger just off the knurling.

I thought in powerlifting comps your little finger has to be inside the rings, is this wrong?

Soldato
I'm a newbie and I have a couple of questions which I hope someone can give me advice on.

I've been consistently going to the gym for just over a month now and I'm feeling good. I've been following a basic full body programme 3 times a week which is very similar to Stronglifts 5x5.

Workout A (3X5)
Squat
Overhead press
Pendlay row

Workout B (3X5)
Squat
Bench press
Deadlift

I've been alternating between those two workouts and the weights are increasing all the time. However, I can't help but feel that I'm not really doing much. Is there anything I should add? I'm thinking about adding push ups, pull ups and chin ups.

What is your opinion on doing the pendlay row instead of the bent-over barbell row?

Should I continue doing 3x5 with the deadlift or do just 1x5 with heavier weight?

P.S) My goal is to gain strength and size (currently 10.8st @ 6'1)

dod

dod

Soldato
Decent back session earlier tonight

3X10X50 BOR
3X10X40 T-Bar Rows
3X10X20 Hyper extensions
3X10X?? Facepulls Not sure on the weight, but it was 7 weights on the stack. First time for these but saw the comments in this thread earlier so thought I'd try them :)
3X10X8weights on the stack seated rows
2X8X25kG bent over one arm rows.

Caporegime
I've been alternating between those two workouts and the weights are increasing all the time. However, I can't help but feel that I'm not really doing much. Is there anything I should add? I'm thinking about adding push ups, pull ups and chin ups.
These type of routines are based solely around the big compounds for a reason and adding additional exercises will likely impact on your overall gains. Just keep upping the weight slowly each week, concentrate on your form and it will get tough sooner rather than later.

What is your opinion on doing the pendlay row instead of the bent-over barbell row?
It's an excellent variant of the row although it requires very strict form to maximise gains.

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-perform-the-pendlay-row-with-correct-technique/

Should I continue doing 3x5 with the deadlift or do just 1x5 with heavier weight?
As above, follow the routine exercises for exercise, set for set, rep for rep and don't change a thing until you develop a better understanding of each lift, the techniques involved and what your body's capable of.

Last edited:
Soldato
These type of routines are based solely around the big compounds for a reason and adding additional exercises will likely impact on your overall gains. Just keep upping the weight slowly each week, concentrate on your form and it will get tough sooner rather than later.

It's an excellent variant of the row although it requires very strict form to maximise gains.

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-perform-the-pendlay-row-with-correct-technique/

As above, follow the routine exercises for exercise, set for set, rep for rep and don't change a thing until you develop a better understanding of each lift, the techniques involved and what your body's capable of.

Thanks. I am making good gains on this programme so I'll stick to it and won't add anything else for now.

Soldato
Woke up this morning with a really stiff neck and some pain when i tilt my head back or to the side around the base of the neck on the spine. Had a bit of this yesterday aswell. Is it possible it's down to my bar placement on squats as they have been getting a bit heavier recently?

Soldato
This bit?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levator_scapulae_muscle

I tweaked mine doing lat pulldowns on my gym's crap machine, made me look a right idiot for about a week because I couldn't turn my head lol. Since this I've learnt the importance of keeping my neck loosish/neutral during back workouts.

Personally I've not had problems with high bar squats, as long as your back is nice and tight the weight should be on your traps rather than the top of your spine/base of your neck.

Apologies for the completely useless post :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom