*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
you have those ratios dont you?

mine is about that but bench is 1.4x and squat is 1.5x dead is 2.5x i would suggest that for a good lifter dead would be nearer 3x tbh

2.5 is plenty for a 'good' lifter. not like your average person on the street will be getting anywhere near that, if not nearer 1x with any kind of acceptable form

Soldato
Bench: Intermediate
Squat: Intermediate
Deadlift: Intermediate

Under by about 2.5kg on squat and DL but they are both easily reachable when i max again :p The jump from intermediate to advanced is pretty massive

Man of Honour
http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

Squat: Elite
Bench: Advanced (5kg in :()
Deadlift: Advanced (only 15kg to go!)

Haven't tested my numbers in almost 6 months, should get interesting soon :cool:

At my new bodyweight:

Squat: Intermediate :( (I've just lost a lot of power and confidence, I'm sure the strength is there - I just need to get myself back under the bar - 160kg felt bloody heavy last time and I used to rep out on that easily :/). I'm going to give this a go this week, see if I can bring the numbers back up.

Bench: Advanced (just)

Deadlift: Advanced

Previous bodyweight all were "Advanced". So actually despite dropping bodyweight I haven't lost my power:weight except for squat. That'll be fixed.

Man of Honour
Going to sign up to a David Lloyd gym near where I live - It's got everything I need and more, and isn't too expensive, and the equipment is decent too. Not really spit and sawdust, but it's better than a lot of the other gyms I've been to - they've got decent free weights and hammer strength machines which are always good IMO.

Associate
Squat: Intermediate :(

Bench: Advanced
I keep telling you - such a bicep/chest boy... :D

Going to sign up to a David Lloyd gym near where I live - It's got everything I need and more, and isn't too expensive, and the equipment is decent too. Not really spit and sawdust, but it's better than a lot of the other gyms I've been to - they've got decent free weights and hammer strength machines which are always good IMO.

where is it? do they offer the option to pay for individual sessions?

Bench: Advanced (barely there)

I've been doing a lot of lower weight deadlifts lately to iron out my form, thinking of getting a belt now as I'm so used to arching my back a bit that it's very hard to get rid of. A belt would in theory keep the tension in and remind me to keep it straight?

Soldato
I'm untrained on Bench :D
Ditto.

That comparison is rubbish seeing as my bench technique is actually the right one compared to 90% of the others at the gym. They either do half reps or literally drop it to their chest compared to my painfully slow decline!

Legs tonight, biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig squats to scare the pansy boys!!!!!

Soldato
Ditto.

That comparison is rubbish seeing as my bench technique is actually the right one compared to 90% of the others at the gym. They either do half reps or literally drop it to their chest compared to my painfully slow decline!

I tend to agree, and not just to massage my own "untrained" ego :p I always make sure I'm controlling the weight down, and squeezing my elbows together to get pec activation. If I wanted bigger numbers I could just launch the weight up with triceps and shoulders :D

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Bench - Advanced
Deadlift - Advanced
Squat - Advanced

Looks like I'm advanced lol. Only a few kg off Elite for Bench Press, should hopefully nail that before xmas. Not sure about 250kg for deadlift for elite, that's a 30kg increase over my current best.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I keep telling you - such a bicep/chest boy... :D

where is it? do they offer the option to pay for individual sessions?

Bench: Advanced (barely there)

I've been doing a lot of lower weight deadlifts lately to iron out my form, thinking of getting a belt now as I'm so used to arching my back a bit that it's very hard to get rid of. A belt would in theory keep the tension in and remind me to keep it straight?

Pot kettle black! :p

My squats were on advanced... before I became skinny! lol! :D

I didn't ask about individual sessions but they do guests passes.

Caporegime

Well no...In theory you just shouldn't be arching your back, however naturally this gets harder once the weight goes up

Associate
well if it will keep my core tight then my lower back won't start arching, no?
for reference this is when I identified "the problem"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXDoG73LX4Q

It's been a while since then and I'm definitely getting some more hip drive but I still find it difficult trying to keep the core tight, keep back straight engage glutes and all that at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom