*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
The video just shows that the weight was too heavy for you. If you drop the weight back and focus on the form you'll find it will come more naturally. I haven't done my 1RM in a while and have been focusing on form and activating the right muscles. It's worked really well for me (have a look at my recent video). A belt wouldn't help the lift in the video at all, you don't have enough power in the bottom and the setup is wrong :)

This looks bad :( and will make icecold cry
dl_form.png

Caporegime
Aye, focus on keeping your core tight, as this will help the lift greatly. As LiE has pointed out above, you basically have the entire weight resting on your back there while it's in an extremely weak position. (Lower back almost looks as if it's bending)

Drop the weight (I know you dont do that all the time) and focus on form...

Oooh, we're getting back in to the form discussion again :p

Associate

I know, he cried about it a few months ago when I first put it up.
That was my form in July, have't gone anywhere near those weights since then and I was being really anal about form. It is getting annoying though to focus about the leg drive yet still not end up without any skin on my shins.

By the way can you get rugby/football socks without the bottom bit? so it looks like a shin guard?
I'm using vibram five fingers and I want to able to wear those with the socks.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I don't have a problem with the bar taking skin off my shins. I lower the weight down then drop back to the starting position - I have seen some form whereby the bar hugs your thighs/legs on the reverse but it isn't something I've done before.

Caporegime
Use legs to get bar to knee, then glutes to get into standing position. Glutes to lower bar to knee, then legs to lower bar to floor. Lats to stop bar swinging away from you. :)

Doing that means the bar will be in contact with your legs pretty much the whole time. If you're getting abrasions on your forearms and shins, you're doinitrite. :p

Man of Honour
I keep telling you - such a bicep/chest boy... :D

where is it? do they offer the option to pay for individual sessions?

Squat: Intermediate :(
Bench: Advanced (barely there)
Deadlift: Advanced

I've been doing a lot of lower weight deadlifts lately to iron out my form, thinking of getting a belt now as I'm so used to arching my back a bit that it's very hard to get rid of. A belt would in theory keep the tension in and remind me to keep it straight?
A belt is not going to correct faults.

I can't post videos (youtube doesn't work when I'm tethering through my phone... damn you virgin!!!), but look into some core training focused on bracing and stability (i.e. anti-rotation, keeping your core stationary during other movement)..

Learning to use your glutes will help too.

The is a lengthy article, but contains a lot of good info:
http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/get-your-butt-in-gear-i-with-eric-cressey/

Man of Honour

I know, he cried about it a few months ago when I first put it up.
I don't know what you're talking about, I can't see past those big swole arms :p

If you can post a more recent video of your improved form it might be possible to work out why your numbers haven't been going up. What weights have you been training with?

Caporegime
Shoulder press, deadlifts and pull ups for me. Head feels like it's stuck in a vice and my mouth is riddled with ulcers so it could be a painful session :(

Edit: Turned out to be an amazing session. Recovery was a big problem but I felt as strong as I have done for years and managed to fix my deadlift form with the help of some random passer by.

Need to gets hips lower, need to get hips lower, need to get hips lower...

Passer By: Your hips are too low! :o

Seated Shoulder Press
100 x 3
100 x 3
100 x 3

Deadlift
190 x 3 DOH PB
190 x 3
190 x 3

Pull Ups
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 5

Confidence is back after an abysmal bench on Monday :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Intense session tonight. Gym was pretty quiet so that pumped me up somewhat.

2x10x85kg squats. Good job i didn't need 11 reps on the 2nd set haha. Got to 9 and started getting a bit of tunnel vision, hit the 10th and was so close to passing out as i racked it. Looking forward to friday :p

1x10x90kg DL, that was fun but super hard. Again friday is gonna be a bitch!

Then bashed out pullups, only managed 7 and 4 at BW :( Didn't rest long enough really.

Everything else went great :D

Soldato
Missed lunch today :( couldn't decide what to eat as it was all crap so ended up just having a banana and orange + coffee pre-workout, wasn't very good tbh.

Had 2 good meals after it but felt like **** for missing lunch.

Soldato
I feel odd posting in here but I suppose I should now :D

Been doing Stronglifts for 6 weeks now and making decent progress but tonight exhausted me more than ever! :eek:

Finally found some exercise I like doing :)

Soldato
Im hoping I can get stuck back in over the weekend (damn nerves :mad:). Really enjoying getting stuck back in to stronglifts, although have split it up in to push/pull days, but same about of reps etc

Soldato
First time Squatting for me at the gym last night. I started with just the bar on the smiths machine for a few reps to see how my form was in the mirror. It didn't look too bad so I added 40KGs and did 3X10 without too much bother. Concentrating on form throughout so by the end of the 2nd/3rd sets I was really feeling it in my legs. My lower back is a little sore today but doesn't feel like I've strained anything, just a little stiff. I'm going to contine with 40KGs for a while until my body gets used to it.

Associate
Was in the gym for the 1st time in age on Tues.
They have a weighted sled, that is hard! Had an extra 30kg on the sled ontop of it's weight (30kg I think).

Did 4 sets of: 4 push ups from gynastic rings hanging on rope, 4 chin ups from holds the size of coke cans, and 4 sled runs 2 with high grips and 2 low grips.

Ruined! I don't know if any one reads the Army thread in GD but I was doing 50 + push ups in a min but here I was struggling with 4!
Back there again tonight to time myself to set some bench marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom