*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Easy way to get injured. :p

Don't think I've ever done a PB, usually too tired to do one.

Fair play, odd thing is that session of legs was one of the best i've had, still feeling it now.

Going to drop the weight and do nice controlled deep reps. Will see how it goes.

I just find the Squat the one thing thats bugging me.

Thanks to Monkee I feel I now have my chest form down, although i'm going to throw some incline in for a few weeks to see how things shape up.

Soldato
Need another angle Delvis, I can't be sure but it doesn't look like you are pushing your knees out or your ass our enough.

Agreed, it looks like you're leaning forwards with the weight (as UE was implicating) rather than pushing your ass out. Watch the travel of the bar - it's definitely travelling FORWARDS whilst coming down, should be more of a vertical movement.

You know what I'd recommend, and again not sure who will agree here, but try 35kg front squats. And don't do them in the rack straight away. I think half your problem is a lack of confidence; I think your body is trying its hardest to stay over the catchers because you're so scared of failing your rep. Front squats imo maintain a more vertical positioning in your back, meaning you won't lean forwards as much. Couple of weeks doing this and maybe it'll add confidence and stability in your back squat? :)

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
This is what I mean by knees out - recorded just now for you showing my lovely legs :p (excuse the mess).

Note: I'm not sticking my ass out in this video as I just wanted to show knees.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Agreed, it looks like you're leaning forwards with the weight (as UE was implicating) rather than pushing your ass out. Watch the travel of the bar - it's definitely travelling FORWARDS whilst coming down, should be more of a vertical movement.

You know what I'd recommend, and again not sure who will agree here, but try 35kg front squats. And don't do them in the rack straight away. I think half your problem is a lack of confidence; I think your body is trying its hardest to stay over the catchers because you're so scared of failing your rep. Front squats imo maintain a more vertical positioning in your back, meaning you won't lean forwards as much. Couple of weeks doing this and maybe it'll add confidence and stability in your back squat? :)

Possibly dude, although if I made the weight go back much further i'd topple backwards :o

Not done front squats, I find the positioning of the bar very odd...Although i've started doing some clean and press, and the initial press if more comfortable, so I may give that a go.

Cheers :)

EDIT: Thanks for the video Lie, my knees aren't going in.

Again, it's different information being thrown around, will let you know what happens next week...Although I could get a few reps out tonight, will see

Last edited:
Caporegime
I know I can lift more otherwise how would I be able to lift that weight many times?

A PB in Delvis' case appears just to be one lift, aiming to lift the max possible. My PB for 4x9 might be Xkg but that doesn't mean it's my PB for one lift. As I'm sure you know. :)

Well...it's still your personal best, as you havent lifted heavier :p

My PB on deads in 110kg, but I could probably do 120kg if I was on a good day. Just I haven't tried.

Soldato
I always assumed what when people state PBs they mean one specific lift - PB = max possible weight for one rep.

I guess I am wrong then.

Either way, I couldn't give a stuff what I'm lifting, all about intensity to me. You're talking to someone who can't even do pullups!

Man of Honour
I always assumed what when people state PBs they mean one specific lift - PB = max possible weight for one rep.

I guess I am wrong then.

Either way, I couldn't give a stuff what I'm lifting, all about intensity to me. You're talking to someone who can't even do pullups!

I'd call that a 1RM, a PB is the best you can do for a given amount of reps or sets or whatever :)

Caporegime

I guess I am wrong then.

:)

Theoretically it is I guess...But meh.

I'm not majorly fussed by PB's, i'd rather have physical results.

Caporegime
Why are you attempting PB's then? :p

I'm not =/

When I first started I did 75kg for a couple of reps, since changing my form for the better i've not reached that again.

Deadlifts, that just happened, I got to 100kg one day and everything just felt good, so whacked another ten on and it went up.

Bench was I guess a try at PB, again I hit this in the early days but i've done it once again since. However I now lower the weight and do some nice reps to activate the pecs more.

Man of Honour
I like throwing in a 1RM session on the big 3 every now and again purely because I like the alpha feeling of knowing I've just destroyed some good weight :D
Now if only the general public's first question when they find out you use a gym wasn't "What do you bench?" who gives a **** It's all about the deadlift!

Soldato
I like throwing in a 1RM session on the big 3 every now and again purely because I like the alpha feeling of knowing I've just destroyed some good weight :D
Now if only the general public's first question when they find out you use a gym wasn't "What do you bench?" who gives a **** It's all about the deadlift!

So much this. Nothing like standing at the top of a deadlift weight in hand giving the gym the stare down :p Just need to hit 150kg so i can get 3 plates a side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom