*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
You've got dips as well, so still two chest exercises. I wouldn't want to be doing more pushing than pulling as a general rule, which was my only concern.

My dip to bench ratio confuses me. Why can't I bench 5x~145kg :confused::mad: sonofa... Breaking parallel on every rep of my dips too. Stupid bench.

Bench to dip should correlate pretty similar? My 1rm bench is 95 but BW (85) + 10kg dips was an easy 5 reps. I'll expect to get +20kg by the end of 5s

Associate
in theory, yes.
in practice, as icecold not necessarily.

I can also do about 10 reps with +20kg on dips on a good day and I weigh ~ 95kg.
Repping 115 for 10 reps on my bench... well not going to happen any time soon. :(

Associate
Anyone able to suggest any good ideas on my predicament? [link]

Cheers :)

Unload bar from one side completely. spray infected collar with wd40.
Lift bar up from empty side, bang it (perpendicular) on the floor until collar moves. Unless someone welded it there, it will move.

PS: I take no responsibility for holes in the floor caused.;)

Caporegime
Thought i'd show people my poor squat :o :

65KG I believe:

Then this is 70KG I think, failed as well...not even 75KG which is my PB:

I always fail at the bottom, kind of common I guess, doesn't help not having spotters.

Permabanned
Thought i'd show people my poor squat :o :

I always fail at the bottom, kind of common I guess, doesn't help not having spotters.

M8 i dont like that hip alignment at all when you are stood up 'straight' there all that weight looks like its on the lower back. Also as you come down you dont appear to actually attempt the lift you come all the way down through the point of no return with nary a pause for effort.

I think you may mentally need to toughen, on a failed squat id want to see the parallel held and fought against for at least 5-10 seconds with much screaming and agony. You let the weight beat you down there, man up.

Caporegime
M8 i dont like that hip alignment at all when you are stood up 'straight' there all that weight looks like its on the lower back. Also as you come down you dont appear to actually attempt the lift you come all the way down through the point of no return with nary a pause for effort.

I think you may mentally need to toughen, on a failed squat id want to see the parallel held and fought against for at least 5-10 seconds with much screaming and agony. You let the weight beat you down there, man up.

Well, i've had injurys in the past from lifting, which is why I don't sit there screaming. Also been stuck before with no catches, hence the lack of 'effort'.

Could you elaborate on the hip alignment please? Not sure how else I can stand really...And going by hundreds of other people you're supposed to have your butt tucked out...?

Soldato
My dip to bench ratio confuses me. Why can't I bench 5x~145kg :confused::mad: sonofa... Breaking parallel on every rep of my dips too. Stupid bench.

Well I'm about 6' 2" and 90kg but can DB Bench with 26/28kg DBs, I'm qite lanky and carrying too much BF though, but need to hurry up and bulk up my frame. Currently eating 3200cal+ a day and training 6 nights a week whilst doing rowing in the morning before work (alternating days with tabata and 30sec on/off intervals x14 sets).

Can only do assisted dip with around 35kg helping out, although my other tri exercises have gone up massively but this different dip assisted machine requires more helping weight than my old one.

Anyway, loving overhead tricep press with a single large DB. Was doing 20kg (8 reps/4sets) last week and the two before that. Someone else was using the 22kg DB so I went up to 24kg and fully did my sets. Yay for hard training and eating.

Soldato
Delvis I think (using my rather uneducated brain) that you failed because you don't go low enough when you do 65kg.

Since lowering my weight and going lower than parallel I have noticed a huge difference! It's much harder and feels like I'm working the legs properly.

Just got back from another session in the gym and for the third time running my left ear gets a bit blocked when lifting? Can get rid of it as you would a normal blocked ear but any ideas as to why this is happening? It only started happening recently!

Last edited:
Permabanned
Well, i've had injurys in the past from lifting, which is why I don't sit there screaming. Also been stuck before with no catches, hence the lack of 'effort'.

Could you elaborate on the hip alignment please? Not sure how else I can stand really...And going by hundreds of other people you're supposed to have your butt tucked out...?

injury's dont come from trying hard m8 you had mentally given up before parallel (in my opinion). crappy paint diagram to show my point on form (remember im not the worlds best form scrutinizer)

84256633.jpg

although i shouldnt be critiquing you really

Caporegime
Delvis I think (using my rather uneducated brain) that you failed because you don't go low enough when you do 65kg.

Since lowering my weight and going lower than parallel I have noticed a huge difference! It's much harder and feels like I'm working the legs properly.

Thanks, will see what next Monday brings, although i'm borderline parallel I thought...Never mind, shall go lower next time. :)

injury's dont come from trying hard m8 you had mentally given up before parallel (in my opinion). crappy paint diagram to show my point on form (remember im not the worlds best form scrutinizer)

although i shouldnt be critiquing you really

It's not lack of trying, it's lack of having a spotter, it's a mental thing, I've had 70kg's drop on to me before with no spot, ended up with a massive graze down my neck. I've also screwed my shoulder permanently, from training 'hard, so yes, you can injure yourself from trying.

I'm all for criticism, hence why I posted the videos, I just like to understand the criticism, that is all.

Going by your drawing however (Which is awesome btw :p) my upper back is 'arched' backwards...From what i've read, and been told loads, this is correct? You are supposed to push your chest out?

This is where it annoys me (not you), I read and get told different things. Then people say 'Don't over think it', yet if you do that you end up with poor form or end up inuring yourself.

Thank you though, i'll look in to it all and see what can be changed :)

Soldato
Lol, I saw the pic before reading the text and was trying to work out why he was calling you a sperm cell. :o:o:o:o

I have never had a spotter for squatting, that's what the safety bars are for!

Shouldn't really be lifting at 100% max weight anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom