*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OK so I managed to get the stuck collar off without any WD40/heat or anything fancy but it wasn't pretty - I had to open the collar and slowly twist it off the sleeve. As a result the sleeve is all scratched up and I'm not keen to use the collars on it again in case I end up in the same situation.

What should I do for now though? As I've previously stated the other sleeve is perfect with all my collars which suggests the one I've had issues with is poorly manufactured and has come out marginally too big.

Strip the bar down and see if I can get a better fit?

Get a new bar that isn't made to funny sizes?

Ultimately I'm going to get some Lockjaw collars but that will need to wait till payday....

Sorry to quote myself but can any offer some more help? :)

Soldato
Have you guys actually tried to clean an press an Axle? They are 2" (so the same thickness as the ends of an olympic bar)

Bringing it up to the stomach first is a normal technique for that lift, and yes, some people have to start with a mixed grip if the can't do the first pull with a double overhand.

Permabanned
Every collar I have is a tight fit over this one end of the bar - really annoying.

Good idea on the sleeve spares might save me a few pennies....

get spring collars psy much more give cant stand screw collars and lockjaws a bit pricey ive never lost weights off the bar dumbells can be a bit sketchy if you got 3+ 5kg plates on a side

Man of Honour
Been a while since I've posted, mainly just lurking, picking up bits here and there, especially from the fountain of knowledge that is Icecold (many thanks man, some of your advice is invaluable, especially the mobility stuff and has helped me a LOT).
Glad to have helped :)
Can anyone elaborate on the truth behind this please? Just had a quick look and all I get is conflicting advice.

Reason I ask is I've been pretty busy lately (and admittedly a bit lazy about food prep) and am having shakes for breakfast / post workout / before bed, ie. between 2-3 a day.
Mansize answered this question as I would (;)), basically don't worry too much. If you REALLY don't want an insulin spike with your whey, eat something else with it, fatty things being ones that will slow absorption the most.
Is it really true because I just don't understand how training legs can relate to how well your upper body develops, I haven't researched much into it. Is there any articles on this or something? I'm not one of these guys who will ignore good advice, I just haven't thought much about how training legs can relate to training my upper body ect :p. I'm not very experienced with this either (I have only recently got the hang of it to be honest). But yeah thanks for pointing this out, I want to do whatever I can to get to a decent size and strength.

Also, I think I may have confused you haha, yesterday was the first time I added training my back into chest/triceps. I had the day off because of the strikes so decided to try it out since I had a few hours to spare haha.

Since we're on the subject of back & legs, can anyone suggest some exercises for me? I have a barbell/dumbbell set and a bench with a rack for bench press. Here's my routine at the moment (I've just added the legs exercises now, they any good?)

There are three principal reasons I can think of to train legs (one of which may have been disproved...). Firstly, legs consisting of the biggest muscles in your body causes the biggest release of growth factors/hormones etc. (this is the one that may not be true). Secondly, people with a big upper body and small legs just look silly. Finally, and mostly importantly, without training your legs you will be achieving minimal functional strength.

Also, I really don't like your routine.

When you say you have a rack, do you actually mean a full rack or just a bench with uprights. If you have a rack, squat. If you don't have a rack, powerclean and do front squats.

In your routine, the ratio of isolation movements to compounds is miserable, and you don't seem to be doing compounds before isolation movement either.

Are you very limited in what equipment you can use?

I'd find a more standard routine, the one in the bodybuilding sticky is fine.
Have you guys actually tried to clean an press an Axle? They are 2" (so the same thickness as the ends of an olympic bar)

Bringing it up to the stomach first is a normal technique for that lift, and yes, some people have to start with a mixed grip if the can't do the first pull with a double overhand.

Soldato

It's the crazy amount of hyperextending and jerking of the back that I don't like in the video, although it does beg the question why they would be pressing something that they can't even deadlift normally?

Associate
There are three principal reasons I can think of to train legs (one of which may have been disproved...). Firstly, legs consisting of the biggest muscles in your body causes the biggest release of growth factors/hormones etc. (this is the one that may not be true). Secondly, people with a big upper body and small legs just look silly. Finally, and mostly importantly, without training your legs you will be achieving minimal functional strength.

Also, I really don't like your routine.

When you say you have a rack, do you actually mean a full rack or just a bench with uprights. If you have a rack, squat. If you don't have a rack, powerclean and do front squats.

In your routine, the ratio of isolation movements to compounds is miserable, and you don't seem to be doing compounds before isolation movement either.

Are you very limited in what equipment you can use?

I'd find a more standard routine, the one in the bodybuilding sticky is fine.

Cheers for the reply.

Alright, that makes more sense to be fair. I actually trained my legs last night, wasn't too bad.

What's wrong with my routine? I feel it working my muscles enough. Umm I have a bench with uprights (just the one level to put the barbell on or whatever).

My gym equipment is limited, I just have a bench, barbell, dumbbell and weights, that's it really.

So the routine in the sticky is good enough?

Monday (Chest/Shoulder/Triceps)

Flat Bench Press – 3x8
Incline Dumbbell Bench – 3x8
Skull Crushers – 3x8 (similar to lying tricep extensions)
Close Grip Bench Press – 3x8
Seated Dumbbell Military Press -3x8
Lateral Dumbbell Raises – 3x8

Wednesday (Back/Biceps)

Dead lifts – 3x8
Bent over one arm Dumbbell rows – 3x8
Barbell Bicep Curl -3x8
One arm Dumbbell hammer Curls – 3x8

Friday (Legs/Abs)

Barbell Squats – 3x8 - Cannot do squats cause of no rack
Dumbbell Lunges – 3x8
Calf Raises-4x10
Abdominal workout (Crunches, leg raises, whatever)

That doesn't seem like many exercises..my routine consists of at least 3 exercises per muscle, this routine has two. Is that enough?

Associate
2nd week at the gym, dropped 30 seconds of the 4 supersets and deadlifted my own body weight (70kg, I'm 68kg) for 5 reps.
Quite happy, will see what happens tonight/tomorrow.

Caporegime
Cheers for the reply.

Alright, that makes more sense to be fair. I actually trained my legs last night, wasn't too bad.

What's wrong with my routine? I feel it working my muscles enough. Umm I have a bench with uprights (just the one level to put the barbell on or whatever).

My gym equipment is limited, I just have a bench, barbell, dumbbell and weights, that's it really.

So the routine in the sticky is good enough?

Monday (Chest/Shoulder/Triceps)

Flat Bench Press – 3x8
Incline Dumbbell Bench – 3x8
Skull Crushers – 3x8 (similar to lying tricep extensions)
Close Grip Bench Press – 3x8
Seated Dumbbell Military Press -3x8
Lateral Dumbbell Raises – 3x8

Wednesday (Back/Biceps)

Dead lifts – 3x8
Bent over one arm Dumbbell rows – 3x8
Barbell Bicep Curl -3x8
One arm Dumbbell hammer Curls – 3x8

Friday (Legs/Abs)

Barbell Squats – 3x8 - Cannot do squats cause of no rack
Dumbbell Lunges – 3x8
Calf Raises-4x10
Abdominal workout (Crunches, leg raises, whatever)

That doesn't seem like many exercises..my routine consists of at least 3 exercises per muscle, this routine has two. Is that enough?

I used to have similar equipment, it's terrible for squatting, but you can work something out :p...As Ice said, do cleans and then front squat if anything....Or just squat with dumbells...Or lunge.

And the sticky will be good to start with, just to see how things go and so that you can find out what sort of weight you can throw around as such.

They're more lie WSM lifts :o

Don't like them....What you fail to realise, as has already been said...The people in the original vid shouldn't have been doing that, fact. You can see how much they are extending over, it just shouldn't be happening.

Hell, why don't I go and try that with 65kg now? I just wouldn't, even if I can deadlift more than that :p

Caporegime
Posting for Ultra Extreme:

delvis would you start to log your training sessions meticulously and posting either on a blog or in here. You need to start getting detailed about what exactly you are doing if you want help in making progress. Im yet to meet someone male over 50kilos (and under 120kg) who i couldnt have repping bodyweight squats within a few months of training. You have been doing this blooming ages and your getting nowhere at all (generally speaking). It cant even be diet because my brother manages on about 2 pizzas a day much to my distaste lifting vastly more than you at similar stats.

Get logging stuff get detailed. If you cant be arsed then your screwed anyway you'll be where you are forever.

Cheers.

Tell me what you want me to log, and i'll do it.

Diet wise daily it tends to be this up until Dinner:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 2 scoop whey shake.
Sometimes add sausages in as well although this is making me feel rather crap in the morning.

Lunch: 1 Chicken breast in two wraps.

Snack food: Throughout the day I snack on penuts as they're cheap.

Dinner:
This will vary every evening, I live with the girlfriend and we quite frankly won't be eating chicken breast with sweet potatoes every night, it's just not do-able.

I will then have another 1 maybe two whey shakes in the evening, one always after a workout.

Workout: Currently a 3-day split.

Monday: Legs - Squats, extensions, leg raises, calve raises and SLDL's.

Wednesday: Chest - Flat Bench, Flys (flat/incline/decline, not all at once), dips (on the edge of a bench with my arse on the floor basically), then push-ups. Will also do tri-extensions behind the head.

Friday: Back / Shoulders - Deadlifts, BOR's, Single arm rows, lat/side raises, arnold press / shoulder press. Also do some Cleans now to press if thats the right way of describing it.

I do shoulders on Friday, purely because I have more time, I don't do them Wednesday as I don't like to overtrain my shoulders as i've screwed them over before and I'm still paying for it.

So that's it basically, I can try and do a rough weight guide to what I'm lifting but it changes a fair bit depending on the day.

+1. gotta be something not right

Pretty much, i'm lifting, and my lifts have gone up. I'm finally getting the idea of how each exercise should be so hopefully things will change.

Part of it is because I train on my own, and the only things I have for advice is the internet, which, lets face it has conflicting evidence all over the place. And of course you guys :)

Caporegime
No different to me! Unless you count a fat lazy training partner as an advantage :p Although he hasn't been for 5-6 weeks now.

If i'm honest, you aren't eating enough. I doubt you are eating massive dinners so it's probably a bit under what you should be. Stuff i'm eating 'more' than you, 150g muesli, ~40g PB on toast, and my lunch is probably more calorie heavy(3-4 rashers bacon or sausages on toast with eggs and beans), and depending on what your shakes are with i'm probably having a pint or 2 of milk more aswell.

You say your weights change depending on the day, doesn't sound ideal to me. The way i did the 3 day split, start on a weight, once you can do 3x8 for that weight, move up one. Keep aiming for 3x8 until you can manage it, move up again. Of course alter that depending on your rep range.

Howdy

See, I posted up my diet a while back, and was slandered for having too many carbs.

I used to have porridge for breakfast, so I changed this to eggs so it's more protein.
I've been told so many different things from different angles I really don't know whats going on.

Not sure if you know, but I struggle with money, so my food is basically what I can afford at the moment, i'm willing to change what I can, but it's hard man.

When I say my weights change it just depends on how I am that day.

I'll usually warm up on most exercises with 10 reps, then do 10's again and work down. Things like shoulders I do more reps due to having less weight.

Soldato
You need to eat more, don't even have to add up that diet to know it's way way to little calories. It looks more like a cutting diet, there's probably not more than 1800kcals there depending on your dinner, I guess if your properly munching away on nuts there could be 2k.

Find a way to add it all up, find out what it is then whack 25% on top. Personally I am for 45/35/20 split of p/c/f but that's forevercutting.jpg.

Man of Honour
I think we should have a sports arena awards thread, similar to the one they have in GD.

We could have several categories like "Gym Rat of the Year 2011", "Contributor of the Year", "Most Improved Physique of 2011", "Most Impressive Weight Loss of the Year", "Most Improved Powerlift Totals 2011" etc etc

Just an idea :) in fact it's probably been done before

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom