*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
dailyburn.com. it's great you can add like 20 favourite foods then it's just 1 click to add it to the days log. most servings are in sensible numbers also rather than having to figure out everything in oz.

Soldato
To be fair I reckon I've missed the answer to this question in the stickies, but out of interest how does everyone measure their body fat %?

It would be nice to add it in as an aim, and to use this to calculate better values for nutritional break down and was just wondering what method people suggest?

kd

Man of Honour
To be fair I reckon I've missed the answer to this question in the stickies, but out of interest how does everyone measure their body fat %?

It would be nice to add it in as an aim, and to use this to calculate better values for nutritional break down and was just wondering what method people suggest?

kd

I just go with a combination of mirror, scales and a tape measure to keep track of my progress along with photos every month or so.
I know that doesn't really help with calculating nutritional values or giving you a set bench mark, but I find it the most effective way to guage progress without trying to find someone well trained in calliper use.

Caporegime
Right guys, back session tonight, and I want to change up my routine a little for a bit (for all session)

Currently do compounds with some isolation.

Shall I do the main compounds 3 x 8 at say 80% my max after I've warmed up to it? Or? Then the same with the isolation but a lower weight than normal?

Soldato
Do your 3x8 at a weight where you will most likely fail around rep 6 on the third set imo. Then you can push yourself to hit 3x8 then move up in weight. Progression is key. Nothing like having a target of 8 reps and deciding how much pain you are willing to go through to hit the last one.

Caporegime
Do your 3x8 at a weight where you will most likely fail around rep 6 on the third set imo. Then you can push yourself to hit 3x8 then move up in weight. Progression is key. Nothing like having a target of 8 reps and deciding how much pain you are willing to go through to hit the last one.

:) Practically did that tonight.

I need to sit down, list my exercises and rep ranges, weights, and go from there.

All in all, a good gym session really, ended up doing 80kg DL's for reps, soon gave my lower back a mahoosive pump feeling, was amazing. Also tried it with the Oly bar for the first time, some how it seems easier? Do you get different weighted Oly bars?

I'm finding it difficult to get a nice pump in my middle back?

Soldato
I just go with a combination of mirror, scales and a tape measure to keep track of my progress along with photos every month or so.
I know that doesn't really help with calculating nutritional values or giving you a set bench mark, but I find it the most effective way to guage progress without trying to find someone well trained in calliper use.

Yeah I've set that up already. Maybe I'll see if i can get it done by a doctor or something... W have quite good nurses at my Practice. They might be able to help...

kd

Associate
How did you guys work out how many calories you require to bulk?

I've just used the Harris Benedict formula and it's saying that I need 2,570 calories just to maintain my bodyweight which I find way over the top. I've increased my bodyweight by almost 8 pounds in about 3 weeks on 2100 calories on resting days and 2600 calories on training days. But according to that formula I've got to eat 3000 calories on training days and 2600 calories on resting days?

Is this correct? I think I will struggle with that many calories to be honest..that's an extra 3,200 calories per week.

Are there any other accurate calorie calculators that can help me figure out how many calories I need to do a clean bulk?

Associate
Yeah that's what I used to work it out mate. I just can't believe I've got to eat that much, I've always gone by 2100 calories as my BMR, so 2600 calories I would eat on training days! I'm only 5'7 & 63kg so 3000 calories x 6 (I'm going to start working each muscle twice a week now) is a lot..

Man of Honour
That sounds about right mate, if you're very active, 3000 calories isn't an awful lot when trying to grow. I'm currently eating 3400 calories. And I've seen very steady increases from it

Associate
Well according to your sticky you times your BMR by 1.3-1.4. I googled the formula and did 1870 x 1.375 (according to wiki).

If I do 1.3 x 1870 it's roughly 2400 calories on resting and 2900 on training which seems better I guess.

I thought I had it all planned out diet wise. I don't suppose anyone knows of any foods which have a high calorie value but aren't filling? I need to add an extra 400 calories which will be tough as I'm finding it hard sometimes to eat 2600 calories on training days alone :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom