*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Eat then! Or you'll end up like I did

I got in to the gym room last night to be welcomed by a complete mess, plates everywhere, weights everywhere, catchers everywhere, foam strips everywhere (from the squat rack, not that I use it), and foam cushion from the bench for the leg extensnios etc...

I was so miffed! I could hack it a few times, but it's been like this almost every other week since I started, and the people who are 'supposed' to be looking after the room just quite clearly don't give a flying rats behind. So I went and told the teacher :p ;)

Soldato
That is not what that means at all m8, you might need 6000 calories to grow doesnt have any bearing on your maintenance, the body isnt that simple

How does it work then? :o I thought it was just a case of eating more than maintenance?

I do seem to be putting on some weight/muscle whilst losing fat!

Eat then! Or you'll end up like I did

I got in to the gym room last night to be welcomed by a complete mess, plates everywhere, weights everywhere, catchers everywhere, foam strips everywhere (from the squat rack, not that I use it), and foam cushion from the bench for the leg extensnios etc...

I was so miffed! I could hack it a few times, but it's been like this almost every other week since I started, and the people who are 'supposed' to be looking after the room just quite clearly don't give a flying rats behind. So I went and told the teacher :p ;)

I would if I didn't feel full! Lunch time soon though.

I would have just left the mess there, in fact you should have made it worse. It's the only way people will learn.

Last edited:
Caporegime
How does it work then? :o I thought it was just a case of eating more than maintenance?

I do seem to be putting on some weight/muscle.

Eating more than your maintenance levels while 'at' maintenance, will make you put on weight.

However once you start throwing weights at yourself, your naturally going to start burning more calories theoretically, so you will no doubt have to start eating even more than before.

It's all about working out how much YOU have to eat while training in order to start gaining weight, if you gaining weight and getting some fat, then your eating more than your body 'needs'. Which is a good thing in a sense

Permabanned

I do seem to be putting on some weight/muscle.

What im saying is that because your maintenance is low does not equate that your calorie requirement for gaining is also low. The body is fantastic at maintaining your weight year after year, it can take quite a push for a naturally skinny person to gain mass, fat or muscle

Caporegime
I would if I didn't feel full! Lunch time soon though.

I would have just left the mess there, in fact you should have made it worse. It's the only way people will learn.

Heh, I used to be like that, kinda just eat now, start light snacking in the middle and eventually you'll start getting more hungry. It's actually mental thing, your body has been so used to eating 'this' much every day, that it tells you that you are full. You just need to get passed that threshold.

Heh...I could, but it was in my way, and i'd only be doing the same thing :)

Soldato
I have to wear headphones down the gym, I know/talk with 80% of the lads who go there during peak times.

If I have my headphones in, people won't talk to me during my sets, if they do talk however, I can't hear them/ignore them :D

Plus, a bit of Drum & Bass during a set is a sweet bit of OOMPH!

Soldato
Heh, I used to be like that, kinda just eat now, start light snacking in the middle and eventually you'll start getting more hungry. It's actually mental thing, your body has been so used to eating 'this' much every day, that it tells you that you are full. You just need to get passed that threshold.

Heh...I could, but it was in my way, and i'd only be doing the same thing :)

Agree!

Ate 4 - 4.5k cals yesterday, and wasn't full up at any point during the day! lol

Soldato

Not quite sure what you mean. I have already been eating a fair bit, the week before last I was eating 4/5 meals a day and a protein shake with healthy snacks in between.

So far today I have had half a flapjack, a protein shake, mince beef and dumplings with veg and a chocolate.

I usually eat before I leave the house in the morning but starting at the end of last week I was unable to finish the bowl and now I just don't feel hungry. I'm sure the hunger will come back once I can get in the gym.

Yes it might not be what you all want to hear, but I don't care. :p Will keep my thoughts to myself in future.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not quite sure what you mean. I have already been eating a fair bit, the week before last I was eating 4/5 meals a day and a protein shake with healthy snacks in between.

So far today I have had half a flapjack, a protein shake, mince beef and dumplings with veg and a chocolate.

I usually eat before I leave the house in the morning but starting at the end of last week I was unable to finish the bowl and now I just don't feel hungry. I'm sure the hunger will come back once I can get in the gym.

Yes it might not be what you all want to hear, but I don't care. :p Will keep my thoughts to myself in future.

Heh, no harm in saying what you feel, so keep doing it! :)

I'm just giving you an idea on how my body works. I quite literally starved myself 3 years ago or so, and eventually your body gets used to less food intake.

Soldato
OK so for the past month or so I've been gym'ing (gymming? gymmin'? wtf). 4x a week rather than 3. Mon/Tue/Thur/Fri, the reason I've done this is I'm more often than not I'm restricted to 45 mins rather than an hour and its affecting my workouts especially leg day, I can rarely squeeze in any shoulder fun.

So my extra day has become Shoulder + 'Stuff' day. So far I'm liking it as I have that bit more time to do proper stood OHP rather than seated DB, but I generally get stuck on the 'Stuff' part. So now I'm thinking that stuff will become core exercises as I do no specific core training at all, anyone have some recommendations.

I've scoured a few articles this morning and thinking of this.....

Front/Side planks.
Zercher Squats OR Front Squats holding a plate at arms length.
One Sided DB Row
One Sided DB Press
Hanging leg raises.

Not necessarily that order.
Any thoughts? Both the one sided movements will be with super strict form/very braced to try and get some rotational/side-to-side stability.

Man of Honour
OK so for the past month or so I've been gym'ing (gymming? gymmin'? wtf). 4x a week rather than 3. Mon/Tue/Thur/Fri, the reason I've done this is I'm more often than not I'm restricted to 45 mins rather than an hour and its affecting my workouts especially leg day, I can rarely squeeze in any shoulder fun.

I may get accused of using serious broscience here, but worrying about only doing 45 minutes isn't a bad thing. Ideal workout time should be 40-50 minutes

But nothing wrong with a 4 day split either, tis what I follow :)

Soldato
I may get accused of using serious broscience here, but worrying about only doing 45 minutes isn't a bad thing. Ideal workout time should be 40-50 minutes

But nothing wrong with a 4 day split either, tis what I follow :)

It's not strictly the time, but the fact I'm not fitting in the exercises I want. On leg day I take my time stretching and getting to depth currently as my depth is awful. Throw in some extensions/lunges/calf raises afterwards and my times up without touching my shoulders all week.

I did just drop shoulder work completely for a week, they're quite unbalanced strength wise due to benching like a noob for a few months and my general posture (working on that Icecold ;)). But It annoyed me It's one of my most enjoyed workouts :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom