*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
25kg plate works just as good.

I feel your pain - it's even worse when I see PTs with people around them doing some ridiculous exercise in the squat rack.

I went to him and said "Sorry mate, how many sets do you have left? I just want to do some squats in the squat rack."

Permabanned
Does anyone else seem to tail off in Autumn/Winter?

Was going 4 times a week to the gym, running 3 times a week and cycling 5 times a week, since October just binned it and been gym a 4 times every month

Soldato
squats, chicken, milk

LIKE A BOSS!

in all seriousness though, i'm 5 weeks in to SL5x5, and just as predicted, i'm starting to find the OHP hard first. had 1 failure at 32.5, just had one at 35 as well :s

Man of Honour
Squats
180x4x6 this was a gamble as I still recovering from very dodgy guts. No, er, blow outs to report. Squats felt good

CGBP
100x5x3 comfortable

Speed bench
82.5x3x5 slowish start but good

Reverse DB lunge (per leg, obv)
24x8x3 more weight next time, far too easy. Less wobbles too!

Face pull
46x12x3 big increase, not sure how

During my last three exercises I saw the worst example of personal training I've so for encountered. Guy asked the PT for deadlift advice, which wasn't terrible but wasn't exactly good. They then somehow went on to working through some "cleans", which was basically just standing up and reverse curling the fixed 20kg bar. Bad, but fairly typical. THEN they went on to do some "snatches". They weren't snatches, more like some strange muscle/powerclean into a split jerk over head position. So a muscle split stance snatch...?? **** knows. This went on for 30 mins or so, and even included some filming and reviewing of sets with accompanying terrible technical advice. I was very tempted to say something, but felt undermining a PT was crossing a line. Had to leave when he said, "so yeah, that's how you do one of the main powerlifts."
:/

Told my flatmate about this and he said that this was the same PT who asked him what he was doing when he deadlifting. What, the... TBH, it's fair enough to not know how to coach a snatch, but know your limits and don't put anyone at risk with your horrible advice.

Skillmister, regarding core work...

If you search for something like "core exercises" under my username you'll find a list of stuff I'd normally recommend.

But also, read through this: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...ning_performance_repair/lower_back_savers&cr=

I haven't looked at it fully, but it's by Eric Cressey (awesomeness) and he references Stuart McGill (god of back health).

Soldato
the thing is, even if you tried to correct him, who are you? just some dude who trains there, whereas he's a personal trainer, in the eyes of many the ultimate paragon of expertise.

One of the PTs at my gym has people doing smith machine half squats :(

Associate
Out of curiosity If there was the possibility to do a work out before the start of work and after would it be beneficial ? I'm reading mixed reviews some saying yes some saying no. The intention would be to mix the muscle groups , trying to increase in size ( Diet is a major factor here understandably so a lot will depend on this!)

Soldato
Ok, I've got a couple of questions, and figured it was easiest to just ask them in here...

Firstly, I'm looking to incorporate some fast twitch muscle exercises into my workout routine, and am wondering what kind of exercises people would recommend. Obviously am looking for something as low impact as possible, but also a selection of exercises that will work out the major muscle groups.

Also, going home at Christmas, and whilst I'm admittedly becoming more accustomed to going to the gym etc... due to the nature of Christmas I'll be at various places at various times etc... so can't really fit in a set schedule where I could go to the gym. I was therefore considering doing a number of bodyweight exercises. Thinking push ups/pull ups/squats without weights/planks etc... however, thought that these might not be particularly strenuous.
I was therefore considering, grabbing a decent rucksack (I have a few), and filling them with bags of sugar/potatoes/light weights/whatever I can find and just taking it around with me when I'm staying at others houses, and basically doing the exercises with the rucksack on. I am thinking however that this might not be the greatest of ideas, so thought I'd run it by the guys that know, and see what you think? For example will it require a slightly different change to form or something? I realise this may be a big no no, but frankly have no idea, and thought it was an ok idea if it isn't a big no no :)

Quick edit:
Whilst I'm here, and bombarding people with questions :) (sorry!)

Skillmister, regarding core work...

If you search for something like "core exercises" under my username you'll find a list of stuff I'd normally recommend.

But also, read through this: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...ning_performance_repair/lower_back_savers&cr=

I haven't looked at it fully, but it's by Eric Cressey (awesomeness) and he references Stuart McGill (god of back health).

I did a quick search, and you seem to be predominantly referring to exercises outlined here:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=19212692&postcount=6

Whilst I already have 'plank' in my core routine, and will now certainly be adding Cat Vomit, I still only have on top of that some 'straight leg raises' (no idea what the actual name is), so was wondering if you could recommend a couple of exercises for when I don't have access to a gym or the such like that work on anti-rotation which I can do with free-weights (or without weights at all)...

Also, since I've asked so many questions, I'll try and answer one...
Out of curiosity If there was the possibility to do a work out before the start of work and after would it be beneficial ? I'm reading mixed reviews some saying yes some saying no. The intention would be to mix the muscle groups , trying to increase in size ( Diet is a major factor here understandably so a lot will depend on this!)

I think I am correct in believing, that ideally if you were to do a before work and after work workout, and do both cardio and weights sessions then it can work quite well. I think it is generally best, if you do your cardio session before breakfast, and then your weight session more so in the evening. The biggest benefit of doing cardio before breakfast is your body will be using the fat reserves you built up over night (or any left over carbs), to do the exercises, rather than just drawing straight on the carbs you ate at breakfast. Then obviously you'd top up your energy levels with breakfast to make you nice and perky for the rest of the day :) As said, I may be incorrect, but from my reading, I think this generally is best. I'm not sure if it quite answers your question, but hopefully is some help.

Thanks
kd

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok, but 25 reps of squats per week is not enough! Look at how much work you're giving the rest of your body, to then only put that much into your legs is criminal.
It wouldn't just be 25 reps of squats a week, there would be an additional 25 reps of leg pressing as well.

You haven't said why you won't do reverse DB lunges.
Looks awkward to me to be honest and if I don't enjoy something I tend to lose interest rapidly. Reverse leg curls I could stomach though.

Again, the shoulder isolation you are proposing will not help keep your rotator cuff healthy. I'm not sure where you got that idea from, even the traditionally "good" rotator cuff exercises don't include front and side raises. Also, rotator cuff exercises should not be performed in the same way as conventional exercises - going anywhere near high levels of resistance will cause the bigger shoulder muscles to take over.
I had a bad experience a while ago that gave me a strained rotator cuff, as my spotter didn't grab the sixty kilo dumbbells off of me quickly enough on my last set of dumbbell chest presses. Shortly after that I began to strengthen my rotator cuffs using a 5 kilo dumbbell doing 3x10 lying dumbbell internal/external rotations, 3x10 front raises and 3x10 standing internal/external rotations with a cable machine. These rotator cuff strengthening exercises helped me a great deal.

Read this: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...formance_repair/pushups_face_pulls_and_shrugs

The most important aspect of shoulder health is shoulder positioning. Generally, people don't have shoulder problems because of a weak rotator cuff (although it plays a part), it's because of over doing "pushing" movements, usually with poor form, along with bad posture. This leaves the internal rotators of the shoulder tight which pulls the shoulder into bad positioning exacerbating the original problem. Catch 22. Yes, prioritising pulling movements and working on your external rotators can help, but once your shoulder complex (including your scapula, or shoulder blade) is out of position the problem is too far gone for this to be sufficient.
I'll have a good read up thank you.

If you want some good exercises for shoulder health, ask. I don't do any direct work on either. My biceps aren't small and my forearms are pretty big comparatively. Peoples forearms end up small because they don't actually use their grip. The only thing I use straps on is power shrugs, but I'll let myself off considering that I'm bouncing 250+kg around for reps.
I was shrugging between 320-350 kilos with good form with straps. Although my grip and shoulders were getting results my forearms weren't increasing that much and when you have 21 inch arms that looks odd!

Think of it this way. Why would you spend time doing forearm isolation with tiny weights that have no practical use with anything to do with strength, when you could work your forearms for free by using your grip which is actually useful.
More aesthetically pleasing to the eye is my reasoning.

Because they work in different ways, and are actually quite different. These, or romanian deads, are the best hamstring exercise going.
It's fine to keep it as long as you think of it as a mass builder only.
Great, but that only makes you strong on the leg press. I have a friend who moves silly weight around on a leg press but squats less than 150kg. I'm not saying don't use a leg press, but it does nothing for your core, so you don't actually get to transfer any of the power of in your legs to do anything useful. I certainly wouldn't go as far as to say it's an exercise only useful in bodybuilding, but it's less useful for strength than the other things I posted.
Please could you link me to a good romanian deadlift video and a SLDL video? As every video I look at vary in form.
You need to work your stabiliser muscles. Why do you think that powerlifting or strongman doesn't involve things like leg pressing?

To be honest I have never thought about it, although I have seen them on youtube and television training with a leg press.

This is why I'm suggesting reverse DB lunges. For a man who's used to working on a smith machine, the shock to your stabilisers will benefit you greatly.
I know, it can seem pretty complicated. It's important to fully understand your goals. When you say you want strength, what does this mean? Do you want to move big numbers on the leg press or bicep curls, or do you mean in terms of more practical usage such as strongman? If you want a bit of mass, then train for it.

I can see how confusing my goals sound, I just want to look like a beast but with the strength of a beast lol.

Man of Honour
I think I am correct in believing, that ideally if you were to do a before work and after work workout, and do both cardio and weights sessions then it can work quite well. I think it is generally best, if you do your cardio session before breakfast, and then your weight session more so in the evening. The biggest benefit of doing cardio before breakfast is your body will be using the fat reserves you built up over night (or any left over carbs), to do the exercises, rather than just drawing straight on the carbs you ate at breakfast. Then obviously you'd top up your energy levels with breakfast to make you nice and perky for the rest of the day :) As said, I may be incorrect, but from my reading, I think this generally is best. I'm not sure if it quite answers your question, but hopefully is some help.

So, how is it beneficial exactly? I see this written all the time and I still don't understand how people advise people based on this. It doesn't make any sense if you properly think about it.

The logic is that fasted exercise uses fat reserves for energy. I understand that this may be true, but how is that of any benefit? Those carbs you eat later on are going to go back into those fat reserves if you don't burn them off, so essentially all it's doing is just moving things around and providing absolutely no benefit whatsoever.

Think of it like this:

You do cardio in the morning and burn off 500kcals from your fat reserves. That day you eat 3000kcals, bringing your total to 2500kcals, which let's say is maintenance.

or

You do cardio in the afternoon and burn off 500kcals from the food you're digesting that you've eaten earlier in the day. That day you eat 3000kcals, bringing your total to 2500kcals, which is maintenance...

See what I'm getting at? It's just shifting it around for no real reason, unburned calories will end up in the same place!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom