*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I knew there was a reason I liked reverse lunges...

Are we talking BB on your back or clean grip though (front squat style)?

You may have been told you need surgery, but it's always worth doing some soft tissue work and mobilisation. It's free and it won't make anything worse.

Nice!

Definitely worth a shot - but after I had my surgery I've just done the basic physio movements and whilst I can move them, it clicks and locks when I go OTT.

As for the BB, on my back for front lunges - never tried with clean grip I'll give it a go. :)

Man of Honour
Watching the video back really not happy with my 200kg pull, was clearly too heavy for me. I'm going to take the weight back some and work on getting things right.

ice, feel free to rip it apart :) I can see the classic arse up and lower back/glutes take over. Pretty weak position to lift.
It's far from horrible, pretty good for a weight near your max.

Hips come up as you say, loading your back (will naturally happen more with bigger weight)
Spine doesn't start neutral (look at upper back)
Glutes could be stronger
Load ordering is off (I think you know of the videos from Mwod I'm referencing)
Chest isn't "up" or through
Lats aren't on, scaps aren't pinched (or don't seem to be)

As a slightly different angle of tinkering, I think you need to find more mobility in your thoracic spine. Loads of rolling upper back with your arms overhead/hugged across body and extend your t-spine over the roller keeping belly tight. Remember that you're mobilising, so take your time and work on different segments to ease into more ROM, and keep other areas of your spine neutral! Then go after your lats with a foam roller (this sucks), and absolutely hammer your pecs and anterior shoulder with a lacrosse ball.

You seem to have slight kyphosis, which should be tackled by the stuff above. Try some of the hamstring stretches in the mobility thread as this will help with load ordering. Pull throughs should also help you learn to engage your glutes and hammies.

Just watched again and you do squeeze your lats just before you lift, but it isn't enough to pull you into better position (t-spine stuff will help). Remember that with correct load ordering your back should be organised first, because when you try to pull yourself back into good positioning with the bar in your hands you end up with compromises that are significantly weaker.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I do like that way of loading up, but my hamstrings are so tight I can't reach the bar without my lower back going.

Man of Honour
Definitely worth a shot - but after I had my surgery I've just done the basic physio movements and whilst I can move them, it clicks and locks when I go OTT.

As for the BB, on my back for front lunges - never tried with clean grip I'll give it a go. :)
Do it reverse style but be careful as you may end up on your ass :D

Unless there's something REALLY messed up you should be able to get full function back. If you have the time, look through anything shoulder related in the mobility thread. Some stuff you can't do without bands/balls, but the mwod guy will explain it all better than I can.

Edit: Lie, yeah I was having the same problem recently with my gyms small plates. A few sessions of hamstring stretches sorted it all out and suddenly it made sense from a movement point of view.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
What hamstring stretches do you do? I don't have a history of stretching so I'm not sure how long to hold a static stretch for, normally I aim for 30 seconds but I've heard many opinions.

Man of Honour
Generally these:

Spend over 10 mins and you should be good. Only some of it is static stretching.

edit: those wrist wraps are going to be basically the same. If you're going to the shop then you'll be able to try them out.

Caporegime
Crap session tonight. Wanted a new squat and deadlift PB but could only equal what I've lifted before for both. Been working stupid hours this week and barely had time to eat, went straight from work tonight on an empty stomach but I don't have time to go over the weekend and I'm busy all next week so I was ****** either way :(

Squat
60 x 10
100 x 8
140 x 6
180 x 3
200 x 1
210 x 1
220 x F

Deadlift
60 x 10
100 x 8
140 x 6
180 x 3
200 x 1
210 x 1
220 x F

Man of Honour
I think my mate's ones are 12" so they should be fine.

Unlucky PK. Going for squat and deadlift PBs on the same day was always going to be tough!

Permabanned
Crap session tonight. Wanted a new squat and deadlift PB but could only equal what I've lifted before for both. Been working stupid hours this week and barely had time to eat, went straight from work tonight on an empty stomach but I don't have time to go over the weekend and I'm busy all next week so I was ****** either way :(

Squat
60 x 10
100 x 8
140 x 6
180 x 3
200 x 1
210 x 1
220 x F

Deadlift
60 x 10
100 x 8
140 x 6
180 x 3
200 x 1
210 x 1
220 x F

Cant understand your squat and deadlift being that close something must be off you squat epic weight and deadlift comparatively normal weight

Caporegime
Unlucky PK. Going for squat and deadlift PBs on the same day was always going to be tough!
I actually prefer doing both on the same day. Don't know if I get a better feel for deadlifts after my muscles (mainly my hamstrings) have been worked or if it's a mental thing but I've always lifted heavier and found it far easier straight after squats.

Cant understand your squat and deadlift being that close something must be off you squat epic weight and deadlift comparatively normal weight
In two words, **** form. Unless someone stands right next to me and tells me what position my body has to be in I end up with straight legs and a rounded back before I've even broken the weight off the floor. The worst part is I know it feels wrong before I've even started, I just can't work out why :(

Deadlifted 210 for 3x3 about 3.5/4 years ago and tonight was the first time I've managed it since and even then it was only for 1 rep and I'm about 3 stone heavier now :o

Permabanned
see thats what confuses me so much, my form on 200kg deads is poor for sure, too much back arse up etc. But i cant shift a 140 squat, your light years ahead of me in leg strength which is WHY my deadlift form is poor. Just seems strange

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom