*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I think those two key points I quoted should be applicable to the complex you're doing. You don't want a power clean to go wrong half way through a rep due to fatigue, and you should definitely be doing reps on squats than OHP for instance :)

Well that would be true, but they do heavier weights on Complex 2.0. This is to make each lift more intensive (They wouldnt put OHP in with Deadlifts, squats etc as it limits what you can left).

Due to above, using Consgrove Complex 1.0, the big lifts such as Power cleans etc were still pretty light; Just legs were somewhat exhausted from the day before and still recovering (although this was towards the end of the exercises).

I just did it for a quick fasted cardio session before work. That and because im on a low calorie diet (as mentioned in other thread), I didnt want to make it too exhausting as it would burn me out for my Workout session tomorrow (takes longer to recover unfortunately :().

Last edited:
Caporegime
Very quiet Ratz thread today....

Legs tonight! Hell yeah!!!! Lowering the weight on reverse lunges to get some nice controlled reps out of them, tomorrow will be fun.

I'm going to get a squat video up as well, my bums tucking

Man of Honour
Having a low volume, form, recovery, mobility week. Still with decent weights, but just less volume.

Next week, back onto some low rep stuff with uber weights.

Then the weeks after that back on a mini 4 week hypertrophy cycle.

Then back to my strength training.

So it goes like this

4 weeks strength (med -> high volume cycle)
1 week mobility / low weight
1 week high weight (low volume)
4 week hypertrophy

And repeat for the moment. Will do this for a few months and see how I go.

So far from my 4 weeks doing this is:

1) Form and technique has improved
2) mobility and flexibility has improved
3) Power is high
4) Strength is getting better
5) Core strength has improved
6) I have leaned out a bit more
7) Recovery has been good
8) Struggling with time and volume
9) Hands are ripped to shreds
10) Grip is slowly getting better
11) Shoulder injury is still an issue
12) Wrist injury is holding me back
13) Impatient to get back to big weights
14) Need a gym partner to motivate / form check / spot me

I've had to dramatically change the way I train to fit around my lifestyle. I'm feeling pretty good, I look better which is strange as I haven't been focusing on aesthetics at all. I'm really curious to see what my 1RMs are like with good form - I hope that my DL is back up to around 220, and my squat back up to 180, bench around 130. Still 70 off my PBs however I think with a little work I'll be hitting my 250 DL in 6 months and back to 200 squats too. Bench, meh, prob get back to around 140 or so if I'm bothered.

Associate
Looks interesting Freefaller, I like the week out for mobility. I'm just getting back into training after an unfortunate time with some injuries, it all kicks off tomorrow and i can't wait.

How do you manage your mobility during the other phases of the routine?

Man of Honour
I do mobility before every session, but I do mobility for specific body parts (i.e. if doing a leg session, I concentrate on leg mobility, if I'm doing chest I focus on upper body).

If you look at icecold's mobility thread I posted my mobility routine. :)

On the mobility week, I just do full body mobility, stretching, and more core based work and bodyweight explosive work.

Associate
Can anyone recommend me a lifting exercise to do to compliment my cardio (weight loss).

Alongside my cardio, twice a week I add in:

Single arm rows
Shoulder press
Lunges
Lat pull down

Anything else I can add in?

Associate
A safe amount to guess at is between 8 and 12 unless you are doing strength related training with which you would want to aim for lower rep ranges more in the way of 2-6. like Saytan said it depends on your goals.

Associate
Will have a look on YouTube for some techniques, hate feeling as if I am doing it wrong!

What sort of weights/reps?

I like some of Mark Rippetoe's squat technique, but try not to take anyone's tips as gospel. There will be a few laws for a lift that must be obeyed, then loads of different variations to try and see what works for you.

Number 1 Law of Squats: You must go below parallel. "Parallel" does not mean that your thigh is parallel to the ground, it means the hip crease goes below the top of the patella of your knee.

176px-Parallel_Squat_Position.jpg

Initially, you may have trouble going to or below parallel due to a number of factors; balance, weakness, flexibility etc.

Soldato
i get this with OHP. annoying isnt it.

Yup, the last press I end up feeling like a muppet. My shoulders did at least feel like they were battered though.

Does anyone have any good technique tips for OHP? I was wondering about how narrow/wide my grip should be. I tend to do a push-press rather than standing military press.

Man of Honour
First session at 62% with Kort. So tired! Wasn't that hard at all though, in fact I found it easier than the other two weeks. Hopefully that's a sign of adaptation and not some imminent snapping!

I am definitely finding recovery to be a bit of a problem, I'm basically perpetually training on leg DOMS. Only one more week after this at this workload, then it's time to (slowly) engage beast mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom