*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Looks good.

Couple of things.
1. Be more explosive, your glutes are more powerful than that :)
2. When returning the weight to the floor, RDL then drop it straight down.
3. Go heavy to really challenge your form :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Looks good really. Can't any bum lift personally...Only possible critique would be to try and hump the bar more at the top? Snap the glutes like :p

EDIT: Yeah, Romanian deadlift to the knees then drop down with the weight if that makes sense. Breaking at the hips first.

Associate
Some good points: Back stays tight, keeping your natural arch nicely. Also, your hips are coming up with the bar, instead of shooting up first. Chest stays forward too.

Something to work on: The weight is far too light for a deadlift, it could be very different under a work load. Your hips are probably a little too low in your starting position, you're almost down to squat height. This is causing your knees to be way too far forward, and the bar is having to travel 'around/over' your knees - not good. The bar path needs to be vertical and your knees need to get out of the way, the best way to do this is to bring your hips up a few inches. Not SLDL height, just a little higher than they are now.

I think just tweaking your set-up will help a lot, as the actual pull looks ok. A good way to set up is to approach the bar so that the bar is directly over the middle of your foot. This usually means it will be about an inch or so from your shins when you're standing up. Then just bend your knees only enough so that your shins are now touching the bar - you shouldn't be able to squat down as much as you were doing previously. Now just reach down and grab the bar, keeping your lower back 'set' in a nice tight natural arch (not hyperextended), and your chest tight and 'up'.

EDIT: Also, the bar should be in contact with your legs at all times. It looks like it may be leaving your legs after your knees and not touching your thighs. Slide the bar all the way up your legs.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Where do you guys buy nuts from? Looked on MP and they do small 400g unsalted nuts for like £4...tesco's is terrible and so is asda it seems

Holland and Barrett can have some good prices, failing that if you've got any local small ethnic food stores you can pick up nuts in 1kg bags a fair bit cheaper than the supermarket or at least you can in all the little indian ran ones round here.

Associate
When they say 'drop the weight', that doesn't mean, 'let go of the bar and drop' (I hope that's what they mean). But a controlled drop while still holding the bar. But it kind of depends on goals - if it's strength primarily, most will do the controlled drop to conserve energy for the concentric part of the lift. For size, there's an argument that the concentric may add a little more mass to your lower back etc. It's not that big a deal, but I think it's generally safer to do the controlled drop as your form can deteriorate after a big pull and you may be less likely to set the bar back down safely.

Caporegime
I was under the impression your butt needs to be some what down...?

Holland and Barrett can have some good prices, failing that if you've got any local small ethnic food stores you can pick up nuts in 1kg bags a fair bit cheaper than the supermarket or at least you can in all the little indian ran ones round here.

Thanks man, will look around :)

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Last edited:
Associate
I was under the impression your butt needs to be some what down...?

It looks a little too low to me. When the weight gets heavy, he'll probably find that his hips will shoot up and the bar will only leave the ground when his hips are about this height:

picture1-deadlift-skeleton-view.png

Saying that, I will set up like the image above, but then squeeze down a little lower briefly to build up some elastic energy for a little bit of the stretch reflex. Helps explode upwards more, but the bar still never leaves the ground until my hips are at the correct height. Watch Benedikt Magnusson and you'll see what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom