*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
So it's a lifting aid? Better mention it on the PB chart.

FF, looking up is actually worse biomechanically (although not worse than looking down so far that your upper back bends). It's something that's only recently started filtering through strength and conditioning channels, but most of the top coaches are advocating a neutral spine which includes packing the neck and tucking the chin. This basically means you initiate the deadlift looking at the floor, but the idea is to keep your spine aligned and not fix your eyes on a static point.

People tend to look up to reclaim stability in their spine due to having poor thoracic mobility or weak erectors and mid/upper back stabilisers.

Edit: it's also just a fact of modern life that most people spend most of their day with their chin too far forward so aren't aware of what a neutral spine all the way up even feels like. Try it in the mirror (or series of mirrors...), it will probably feel really weird.

Yeah I'm not saying to try an touch the back of your head on your shoulder blades, but by trying to keep the head "up" you're preventing yourself from slouching forwards. When your lower back is hard arched, and your shoulders are locked in, and lats engaged, rolling the head forward is poor. Monkee's head looked "up" and neutral to me - however, I say that you should be looking at a point ahead and above you rather than focussing on the floor.

Associate
Wait....What?

:p

I can see how both of those apply. When someone says "tuck" your chin, to me it means retract your head. In the same way a chicken does when it walks. I always do this for heavy squats. Never thought about doing it for deadlifts for some reason. It makes quite a big difference IMO.

Caporegime
I can see how both of those apply. When someone says "tuck" your chin, to me it means retract your head. In the same way a chicken does when it walks. I always do this for heavy squats. Never thought about doing it for deadlifts for some reason. It makes quite a big difference IMO.

Aye, I can see the theories behind, depends on which works best for you I guess :)

Anyway....Back tonight! Love it

Man of Honour
"Slack" should not be expressed by gross changes in position. Your lumbar tending towards lordosis on the deadlift is one thing, but we should be trying to minimise faults.

dod

dod

Soldato
Chest tonight. grand total of 6330kG (plus whatever it was for Tris) and a PB on the bench of 65kG for 5 reps. :)

Pitiful I know but onwards and upwards :)

Soldato
Still having lower back issues :(

Wednesday night I did a few sets of hyper-extensions, hoping it would help strengthen it but that seems to make matters worse as today it felt knackered after doing 5x5 OHP & Squats, when I came to warm-up for deadlifts I realised I shouldn't go any further.

Man of Honour
Currently designing my volume programme.... Cluster sets. Oh yeah, bring the pain. Will let you know what insanity I come up with... I'm expecting a few lbs of beef and some power. 1RM session towards the start of March I reckon.

Soldato
OHP, Squats and Deads are pretty taxing for the core. When you say issues, do you mean pain or pump/tiredness?

It's tiredness really, which I guess would be expected but the problem is it'll feel tired the next day - not as a matter of during day-to-day stuff, but if I try running it'll be knackered 1km in :(

Thing is I don't have this with any other area in my body - I don't get serious DOMS anywhere nowadays hence it doesn't seem normal to me to be such a problem.

Caporegime
Back Session
Deadlifts:
1 x 10 x 40KG
1 x 5 x 50KG
1 x 2 x 60KG
3 x 8 x 77.5KG
1 x 10 x 70KG

Grip was going on the last few reps each set for some reason...It was a tad more hot than usual

SAR:
3 x 8 x 27.5KG

Probably need to drop the weight soon, form is going.

BOR:
3 x 8 x 35KG

Lots more in left in me on these

T-Bar Row:
1 x 10 x 20KG
2 x 10 x 40KG
1 x 15 x 40KG

Finished off with some rowing, only a few minutes. 30seconds fast 30secs 'recovery'.

Got a vid as well, so will upload this tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom