*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
:( I don't want to deload as I've been making some progress in other areas, particularly squats/bench-press. I wonder about doing it just for shoulder press and deadlift because they are the ones that seem to cause problems at the moment
tbh squats are probably also causing you problems.

Can you get a video of all of your lifts? It'll be easier to judge from that.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Good job sleeve, shows you have more in the tank than you think. Should now know how to structure your weights progressively.

Get a video if you can, always good to see and critique.

Man of Honour
FF cluster sets are brutal, a friend of mine has then in his programme and he's shattered by the end of them. Good choice :D

Yeah I've done them before - I love 'em. Well... I actually hate them, but the gains you get and the way your body feels afterwards is just second to none.

Hmmm cluster squats will be fun! :D

Soldato
Just had a great 5x5 session but have a question RE squats, in the deepest part of the squat I'm really aware of the front of my hip/top of thigh. Not sure how to describe it, feels quite tight not sore or uncomfortable really. Any ideas, maybe a hip mobility issue?

I will try and get a vid of form next week.

Associate
Couple of Deadlift videos from Friday, first one is 77.5KG, third set. Second one is 70KG 4th set.

These look pretty good. Good speed, flat back. But definitely too light. Better to see what's happening under load. Are these actual work sets?

The only thing I see right now is to be careful when setting the bar back down that you get your knees out of the way so the bar goes straight back down. At the moment the bar is travelling around your knees and you may be putting the bar down a little bit more forward at the start of each next rep. And I can't tell from these vids, but is the bar in contact with your legs all the way up the pull?

Associate
This made me chuckle

“what do you curl?”

“I don’t.”

“No, seriously, look at your arms. What do you curl?”

“I don’t. I move 45 lbs plates onto a squat bar.”

Man of Honour
Yeah I've done them before - I love 'em. Well... I actually hate them, but the gains you get and the way your body feels afterwards is just second to none.

Hmmm cluster squats will be fun! :D
Cluster squats are what would worry me! How long does this phase last for? Until PBs in march?
Couple of Deadlift videos from Friday, first one is 77.5KG, third set. Second one is 70KG 4th set.

Associate
Chaps can you give me some advice on my squats?

Did my first ones today, so try not to rip it to shreds, any advice on form would be much appreciated, very new to this.

I had plates under my heels as apparently that helps if the heels naturally start to lift?

That's about as low as I can go at the moment being a big bugger.

Man of Honour
...and this is why I never advise putting plates under heals!

Considering the range of motion, these aren't too bad, but...

- you aren't going deep enough to hit parallel
- your knees are coming too far forward and you're not sitting back enough
- looks like a high bar squat, which is fine, but not a classic low bar squat that most people will assume you mean you say "squat"

Get rid of the plates under your heals. Try again with and keep your weight over your heals, and explore where you are tight. You are probably going to have to loosen your hips up. Once you've retested, check out the mobility thread and look at the squat post.

Man of Honour
Cluster squats are what would worry me! How long does this phase last for? Until PBs in march?

Those are looking so much better! Good speed, and a little bit of aggression even!

For now, just think about starting the lift with your hips slightly lower, being aware of straightening your legs early, and tucking your chin.

Haven't finished working it out - it'll probably be a 4 week phase. I'll see!

Yeah the squats will be killers... but I've survived them before, survived GVT and AGVT... so let's see what happens! :D

Agreed about Delvis' DL - looking good, and agreed with hips lower. I'd say probably try a bit more of an arch in the back, and shoulder need to be locked in more.

Associate
...and this is why I never advise putting plates under heals!

Considering the range of motion, these aren't too bad, but...

- you aren't going deep enough to hit parallel
- your knees are coming too far forward and you're not sitting back enough
- looks like a high bar squat, which is fine, but not a classic low bar squat that most people will assume you mean you say "squat"

Get rid of the plates under your heals. Try again with and keep your weight over your heals, and explore where you are tight. You are probably going to have to loosen your hips up. Once you've retested, check out the mobility thread and look at the squat post.

Thanks mate, will get rid of the plates then.

Is my heels lifting down to technique as well as my lack of agility?

I just can't seem to get down any further, but will have a read through that thread and give it another go.

Man of Honour
Just had a great 5x5 session but have a question RE squats, in the deepest part of the squat I'm really aware of the front of my hip/top of thigh. Not sure how to describe it, feels quite tight not sore or uncomfortable really. Any ideas, maybe a hip mobility issue?

I will try and get a vid of form next week.
Tight/ropey TFL and/or general flexor tissue. Get on a foam roller.

Thanks mate, will get rid of the plates then.

Is my heels lifting down to technique as well as my lack of agility?

I just can't seem to get down any further, but will have a read through that thread and give it another go.
Both. It doesn't seem like you're used to engaging your posterior chain, which is the source of a man's power (semi serious ;)). Shins should be more vertical and arse further back. This will mean you lean forward more, but don't actually fold yourself!

Associate
Chaps can you give me some advice on my squats?

Did my first ones today, so try not to rip it to shreds, any advice on form would be much appreciated, very new to this.

I had plates under my heels as apparently that helps if the heels naturally start to lift?

That's about as low as I can go at the moment being a big bugger.

BRO THATS MY GYM! LOL

havnt seen you around in there, what time you train?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom