*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
On the subject of DOMS does anyone else find it's not the next day that's the real problem, it's the day after that?

Yup! :D

Yeah thanks for the input guys, my right shoulder always seems to pose a problem, it pops and cracks when I rotate my arm and when it comes to my benching it is noticably holding my left side back :(

What kind of rotational work do you recommend. I usually just lift a 7.5kg dumbell and try random things to warm it up a bit.

Go and see a physio - I'm doing more and more rehab work and it's really loosening up - pain is still there, but it's getting better.

Caporegime
Yeah thanks for the input guys, my right shoulder always seems to pose a problem, it pops and cracks when I rotate my arm and when it comes to my benching it is noticably holding my left side back :(

What kind of rotational work do you recommend. I usually just lift a 7.5kg dumbell and try random things to warm it up a bit.

Speak to Polish, sure he will be able to sort you out.

Man of Honour
Training this week has been better, a full weekend off did me some good.

Monday:
Squats 6 sets
Bench 6 sets
Deads 5 sets <--- I think reducing my deadlift volume has helped tremendously
Pullups high-ish volume stuff with 10kg, 3 sets of 10

Weds:
Squats 8 sets
Bench 7 sets
Deads 5 sets
Skipping!

Squats have felt really good so far, but bench has been flip-flopping between being easy and being a grind, even between consecutive sets. It's probably just a product of the accumulated volume, I'm not too concerned. Deads have been ok, but at some point I ripped the skin on the tip of my right index finger which is painful on every rep. Must be because I've stuck with DOH grip which is putting unusual stress on the skin there.

Going to go in to do a GPP/conditioning day. More skipping, and then; medicine ball throws, walking lunges, weighted step ups, TRX inverted rows with bosu ball, pallof press, planks.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
how many reps on a set, 10 on all ??? if so :O

and personaly im back at the gym tomorow after a month off thanks to yet another cold and then mashing my knee at football training on the astro turf, or carpet covered concrete as i call it the stuffs bloody dangerous tbh.

anyways no more football for me, as i end up buggerd for 3-4 days afterwards so il be sticking to the gym and getting fit and helthy and hopefully injury free from bangs and bumps which i seem to keep picking up.

Man of Honour
5 reps for squats and deads, 6 for bench. I've explained it more fully a few pages back, but loads are 64%, 145kg/87.5kg/162.5kg squat/bench/deads.

Have you played on 3G astro? Much nicer, although you end up finding rubber crumb for a while afterwards.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
i should have said its american football, we have the use of a place while the weathers iffy but in all honesty its like running around on concrete, we used to train on a 3g one which is a lot nicer but we changed.

to be honest its been a few years coming me hanging my boots up, shouldnt have been trying to get back in to playing now but thought id have one last go.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
i played as a linemen, so basicaly getting the snot knocked out of me by everyone on the pitch (including my own team mates) worst injury iv had is smashed ribs a few years ago by a misplaced helmet under the arm.

and yeah after playing/training sunday mondays a total write off for most things.

il have a few of the team tell me to come back and try to play and stop being a big girl about it. but these guys are also not hobbling about after running around for a few hours.

Man of Honour
I played mostly guard and some tackle, although I was only 92kg at my heaviest and less than 90kg for most of the season. O-line is a thankless task :p. Planning on getting back into it as an RB, which I'm far more suited to, provided my ankle heals up.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
when i started the team was new so i played most places on the line o and d, and even got 5 yards kick return in my first match :D

yeah, i know if i get down in weight and in shape to where id like to be il probably get itchy feet and try and make a fool of myself again.

at the mo im a rather bulky 330lbs looking at hitting 270lbs for the end of the year while getting stronger and leaner.

just dont fancy ending up like a couple of guys who played for us did, two acl's each and now rather messed up as far as running or squating.

Man of Honour
Look into some functional stuff while you recover. As part of getting certified by the UKSCA I'm designing position specific training for my team which is going to include a lot of stability and mobility stuff - some of the guys are pretty broken.

Knee issues largely come from instability in the feet or hips, so look at things like walking/reverse/overhead lunges, step ups, split squats, etc. You won't be moving as much weight around on these provided you're doing them properly, but you will get stronger on the big lifts and might even find yourself in less pain.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
the anoying thing is im squating deadlifting more and dont get the pain in the gym, acording to the docs its probably an impact thing as i did have to quit my job as a binman due to footpain and swelling, then did a 12 hour warehouse shift and the next day my right knee had swollen up.

the one thing im able to do it seems is lift weights and walk the dog for a couple of miles. damned anoying as when i was doing the bins i was covering 15+ miles a day no probs now i get a ache after a couple of hours.

hopefully dropping the body weight will improve the situation eventually.

Soldato
OK, finally got round to taking a vid of my squat form. Its at a bit of a rubbish angle but would appreciate some input from you guys.

I am working on mobility mainly in my hips and especially with regards to my posture. Anyway, go easy... it's my first vid :p

Man of Honour
Losing bodyweight will help, but seriously do look into the stuff I mentioned. If you have any problems with your feet (collapsed arches) then this will be causing big problems too.

Basically, it's fairly likely that you're forcing your body to move in ways that aren't optimal, causing you to uses muscles/other tissues to compensate in ways that cause damage. Doing good rehab for a month could see significant improvement.

Associate
OK, finally got round to taking a vid of my squat form. Its at a bit of a rubbish angle but would appreciate some input from you guys.

I am working on mobility mainly in my hips and especially with regards to my posture. Anyway, go easy... it's my first vid :p

Not bad, I like them. Decent depth, lower back doesn't round, chest doesn't collapse. A little bit of forward drift when you're coming out of the hole, which will possibly get worse when you go heavier.

But again, I'm seeing a trend here. Too many form checks on very light weights. That looked too easy for you. No point judging form on 1RMs, but likewise, not much point checking warmup weights either. Get a nice heavy-ish work set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom