*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
OK, finally got round to taking a vid of my squat form. Its at a bit of a rubbish angle but would appreciate some input from you guys.

I am working on mobility mainly in my hips and especially with regards to my posture. Anyway, go easy... it's my first vid :p
Not bad at all. I can't see much wrong with that vid (bit of butt wink and instability), need a view from the back to be certain though.

Look at the external rotation in your shoulders too :)

GAC

GAC

Soldato
rehabing is basicaly what im doing now to be honest, hence hanging the boots up.

hopefully dropping the weight and working out/stretching will sort me out a bit. when i damaged my foot last year i ended up with some shoe inserts which have helped a bit, not got fallen arches thankfully and compared to where i was last summer im a lot better. at one point i was getting knee pain within half a mile of brisk walking with the dog.

again il just have to see how things pan out for me now, all being well il at least be lighter and healthier than i was.

Man of Honour
But again, I'm seeing a trend here. Too many form checks on very light weights. That looked too easy for you. No point judging form on 1RMs, but likewise, not much point checking warmup weights either. Get a nice heavy-ish work set up.
This is true, we won't see the worst breaks with lighter weights. But I don't expect anyone to push their limits if they're just starting out and aren't training under supervision. Encouraging lighter weights while learning is useful to help people avoid going too heavy on a regular basis, resulting in worse form. You CAN see form breaks with lighter loading, it's just harder.

I think another factor causing the pattern is that a lot of guys here are doing SL5x5 or similar.

Soldato
Not bad, I like them. Decent depth, lower back doesn't round, chest doesn't collapse. A little bit of forward drift when you're coming out of the hole, which will possibly get worse when you go heavier.

But again, I'm seeing a trend here. Too many form checks on very light weights. That looked too easy for you. No point judging form on 1RMs, but likewise, not much point checking warmup weights either. Get a nice heavy-ish work set up.

Not bad at all. I can't see much wrong with that vid (bit of butt wink and instability), need a view from the back to be certain though.

Look at the external rotation in your shoulders too :)

Cheers for the feedback guys!

SMed, as icecold guessed I'm doing SL 5x5 (4 weeks in now) from not doing any lifting/exercise for a number of years so started as it recommended going back to just the bar. To begin with it was pretty tough but now you are correct.. that was a pretty easy lift. But the weight will keep going up so I will post another vid when I'm lifting a bit heavier. :)

icecold... external rotation is good right :p I have been doing that no money drill with a band every night and my shoulders are feeling a lot better for it.

Man of Honour
I actually meant it needed more work :p it's not terrible, but it looks like you're resting on your limit. Any tightness could pull you out of optimal mechanics when things get tough.

If you're already working on it, then awesome *thumbs up*

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
The point SMed is making is that good form is easier at a smaller 1RM%. It's quite good to try moving a heavier weight as it will likely show up more problems than a lighter weight. This is why I posted 2 videos for my squat form, 1 at 70ish and 1 at 140.

Associate
I really don't understand the hate with form checks...its a working set, not everyone's going to post 90% 1rm lifts for form checks all the time as it'll screw the routine up :)

Not at all. I benefited greatly from form check videos (and with training with some strong guys). All I'm saying is it would be nice to see some heavy work sets. A nice heavy set of 5, where it looks like the lifter is working hard. But as it was said above, it is still also useful to see light weight sets too. It's the light sets that we get to see what the lifter thinks is a 'good easy' rep.

The better from check video would probably include a lighter warm-up set of 5, and a heavy-ish work set of 5. Not a 5RM.

Caporegime
Nah, it's not hate as such, just SMeds comment about people posting form checks on 'low' weights :p I was just saying about how people aren't always going to be breaking their routines with putting extra weight on a working set just because they're getting the form checked :)

Granted I hadn't seen the video up until now, and I agree that pipelough could EASILY lift more weight than what he's posted there. So keep going Pipey!

I may need to look in to some strength training soon, as I'm lacking this department

Caporegime
Not at all. I benefited greatly from form check videos (and with training with some strong guys). All I'm saying is it would be nice to see some heavy work sets. A nice heavy set of 5, where it looks like the lifter is working hard. But as it was said above, it is still also useful to see light weight sets too. It's the light sets that we get to see what the lifter thinks is a 'good easy' rep.

The better from check video would probably include a lighter warm-up set of 5, and a heavy-ish work set of 5. Not a 5RM.

Fair game, hopefully I'll try some new PB's soon, so will get videos of all three and post them up soon, wasn't meant to be a dig or anything :)

For instance, my bench PB before XMas has nearly been overtaken by my working set :o So things are going in the right direction I guess!

Associate
Cheers for the feedback guys!

SMed, as icecold guessed I'm doing SL 5x5 (4 weeks in now) from not doing any lifting/exercise for a number of years so started as it recommended going back to just the bar. To begin with it was pretty tough but now you are correct.. that was a pretty easy lift. But the weight will keep going up so I will post another vid when I'm lifting a bit heavier. :)

Yeah, I did a similar routine, but I did Starting Strength. I'm not sure of the SL protocol, but how many times a week are squatting and what is the rate of increase?

Man of Honour
To be fair, in all my comments I'm assuming the necessary personal vigilance to stick as close to perfect form as possible on all weights.

Delvis, stick with what you're doing for now. It's working.

Associate
I'll probably be posting some squat vids in a couple of weeks too. Haven't lifted in over a month so it'd be useful to get some feedback, especially since I probably won't be having a training partner for a while.

Associate
Squatting 3x a week, upping 2.5kg every workout.

Oh ok, same as SS but SS is 3 sets of 5 across. Yeah, don't worry about increasing too much right now, 7.5kg a week will catch up to you in a real hurry. :D

When you get stuck on SL, try doing a small deload and swap to SS. You may get a bit more mileage out of that. Also, does SL implement a light recovery wednesday when things start getting stuck?

Soldato
Oh ok, same as SS but SS is 3 sets of 5 across. Yeah, don't worry about increasing too much right now, 7.5kg a week will catch up to you in a real hurry. :D

When you get stuck on SL, try doing a small deload and swap to SS. You may get a bit more mileage out of that. Also, does SL implement a light recovery wednesday when things start getting stuck?

The method for getting stuck in SL is if you cant complete the full 5x5 then keep it the same weight until you do, however after 3 if you have not got it then deload that exercise only. I am in no danger of getting stuck for a while besides maybe the overhead press but that's when things get interesting. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom