*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I think we are exactly on the same page SMed! :D :cool:

I wasn't implying ketosis can lead to cancer by the way - just airing that fact out there :) As for being as alkali as possible, of course you dont' want to be on the oxidising scale of things ;) However, being slightly alkali rather than acidic is healthier, however I think we are also agreed there.

I believe in just pure calorie intake management, but ensuring one eats the right calories so that your body can utilise them to it's best ability. :) As I've said, although the whole calories in/out argument is true, not all calories are equal, and I agree, I don't follow diets... it's about lifestyle control.

Associate
thumbsup.png

Caporegime
I forgot to add this to my post it seems: "Layman's terms were used" :D

I purposely over simplify things, so long as the point is there - that's all the counts. Most people won't give a hoot (at least in the 'novice' stages) about lypolisis, gluconeogenesis, etc.

Soldato
Another good quick session (fasted of course :D)

Squats @ 102.5kg
Overhead Press @ 60kg
Deadlift @ 120kg

Feels like im going to hit a wall soon with Overhead press, getting hard now, but thats the fun part :D

Man of Honour
There's a few guys at my gym who are around your age and a couple who are probably 5+ years older and they are still lifting pretty heavy weights so it's not necessarily the end of the line so to speak. However it might make sense to reduce the number of sessions slightly so that you're giving yourself a chance to recover - it's important at any age but as you've found out it does start taking longer to recover as you get older.

If you're still enjoying it then there's no reason to stop and last time I saw you it seemed liked you were managing to keep yourself pretty fit - reducing the sessions a little does have the impact of meaning you get to spend more time with the family too maybe. :p

Cheers buddy.

I'm in week 7 of a 10 week program at the moment but spent a few hours yesterday toying with a few ideas to maybe to reduce the number of sets and focus on a maximum of 9 set per group and stick to that.. plus that midweek break. It is difficult to go at weekends when you have a family although the Mrs is encouraging me to go on the Saturday morning because she can see that it's getting to me a bit.

I love training, always have but occasionally you do hit walls. I've learned in the past to walk away and come back later fresh with something new.

I forgot also to say i cycle 6 mile round trip to the station every day. I've never thought this really beneficial to my general fitness until I stopped last year for 10 weeks after my first knee op then realised just how much every little thing you do goes towards your fitness. Maybe this is too much on top of everything I do.

I guess in a nutshell I'm concerned that if I do something silly, and end up out of the gym for a long period of time, I might not go back in at all. I've put off major knee surgery because it would mean at least 6 weeks off work and gym/bike for 6 months. The thought of that cripples me. I'd rather keep going until I 100% need it or when I'm old enough to live without the gym. The consultant finds this strange.

Caporegime
Thanks Smed, FF.

Some good, good advice in there. Going to try it for a week or two anyway, I know you pretty much need to be taking in zero carbs. But that is near enough impossible for me. But it will be limited to 5-10% of my daily limit. So still a lot less, no bread, no rice, no pasta, no fruit, little veg. The only carbs I reckon I will be taking is pre-workout drink and a protien shake after. So should be very little anyway.

Man of Honour
Carbs aren't bad if you balance what your body uses for energy vs what it uses to store as fat. You can and should still eat carbs as your body uses them for energy (which let's face it, a big gym sesh needs energy!) - the key is to give your body enough to use sensibly, but not too much so that it stores it!

Caporegime
Carbs aren't bad if you balance what your body uses for energy vs what it uses to store as fat. You can and should still eat carbs as your body uses them for energy (which let's face it, a big gym sesh needs energy!) - the key is to give your body enough to use sensibly, but not too much so that it stores it!

Aye, finding the balance though. Need to look at everything again and see what needs adjusting for moi

Associate
Thanks Smed, FF.

Some good, good advice in there. Going to try it for a week or two anyway, I know you pretty much need to be taking in zero carbs. But that is near enough impossible for me. But it will be limited to 5-10% of my daily limit. So still a lot less, no bread, no rice, no pasta, no fruit, little veg. The only carbs I reckon I will be taking is pre-workout drink and a protien shake after. So should be very little anyway.

This is pretty much the opposite of what we're saying! :D

Caporegime
This is pretty much the opposite of what we're saying! :D

Sorry it all got a bit confusing!

Will read it over in work tonight.

But basically for me to lose weight quickly (which I normally don't like) I have to cut carbs down pretty drastically? I could quite easily go on a carb free diet at the moment, which is why its appealing to me.

Will re-read and google some of the bigger words :p

Man of Honour
Noooooooo forget low carbs. A calorie deficit is what you need, how you make that up is up to you

I personally wouldn't want to go below 300g carbs a day if I was doing an exercise routine as well

Caporegime
If he's intending on doing the Keto diet then surely it's what he should be aiming for? All you've established is that you shouldn't be in a state of Ketosis(sp? / Right word to use?) For long periods of time...? :)

Associate
I think the simplest diet advice goes something like this:

Workout roughly how many calories you need per day.
Have roughly 2.0-2.2g of protein per kilo of bodyweight.
Make up the rest in carbs and protein.
If you want better training sessions, lean more towards the carbs.
If you're too hungry all the time and going over in calories, maybe up the protein, lean more towards the fats and fewer carbs.

Even big ketogenic diet proponents have been turning away from low-carb for a while now (Lyle McDonald, Anthony Colpo). Lyle, literally, wrote the book on Ketogenic Diets. :p

The initial big weight loss will be water loss. When eating carbs, you're storing them as glycogen in the muscle and liver. Glycogen must be stored in water, so when glycogen is depleted, you also lose water. After this initial significant drop, your rate of weight loss is exactly proportional to your calorie deficit. If you find it easier to eat fewer calories on a low carb diet (I'm talking after several weeks, months), then this may be good for you. And if you can live with the side effects, then go for it.

Caporegime
I was eating close to 5000 calories a day when doing a keto diet (the "eat yourself thin" type diet).

8 rashers of bacon, 4 100% meat sausages (these sausages were fabulous, btw!), 3 poached eggs.

2 or 3 cold sausages for snacks inbetween brekkie/lunch.

Lunch was 2 chicken breasts with a bit of green salad.

More sausages/salami/other cold meat for more snacks

Dinner was usually one of:

Huge steak with mozzarella
2 gammon steaks with egg
2 chicken breasts with green veg.
A Whole roast chicken with green veg.
<other slab of meat>

And I lost 5 stone in 6 months on that. I could strip paint from the walls with my breath, going to the toilet was just.. ugh, and my liver probably turned to pate, but meh. More damage is done to my organs just by breathing the fresh London air, I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom