*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
In!

Hopefully I'll manage to dodge the hoards of newbies in the gym...

I'm looking forward to a big year!

I really want to get into doing some running this year, so ankle strength is something i'm gonna do a lot of research and work on as that's what's limiting me at the moment
Found something good for ankle strength, but it's kind of impossible to explain. I'll try to remember to take a video next gym day. You basically look like you're doing a ballet/river dance combo, so you look awesome.

Soldato
New poster to this thread, last year I lost 7 stone, this year I'm going to be losing another 1.5-2 stone I'm also going to be joining the gym to do some proper free weight training, probably strong lifts, but given the attitude towards the newbies who join in January as part of their New Years Revolutions I think I'll wait until at least Feb-March to join. :p

Soldato
Times like this, I'm glad Ive got a home set up (although not that good, but atleast I dont have to queue to use it :D). Not being able to do heavy lifts is gonna be painful, but might get away with doing complexes as it wont put much of a strain (Had an op one day after coming back off holiday.. talk about luck!).

Soldato
New poster to this thread, last year I lost 7 stone, this year I'm going to be losing another 1.5-2 stone I'm also going to be joining the gym to do some proper free weight training, probably strong lifts, but given the attitude towards the newbies who join in January as part of their New Years Revolutions I think I'll wait until at least Feb-March to join. :p

The attitude is towards the guys that join in January and quit in 2-3 weeks. If you're still there in feb all is well :p

Soldato
Not been to the gym since before Christmas as I'm in Sweden snowboarding and riding snow scooters all day long! However, been doing 200 pushups (8 intervals) and 200 body squats (also in 8 intervals) per night to keep some sort of shape. However my diet is crap and I dropped about 8kg already since I'm not eating well. Anyway, back the 3rd and lifting like a madman as I'm off to Cape Town Jan 25th for 2 weeks and need awesome muscles for the beach :D

Caporegime
In!

Hopefully I'll manage to dodge the hoards of newbies in the gym...

I'm looking forward to a big year!

Found something good for ankle strength, but it's kind of impossible to explain. I'll try to remember to take a video next gym day. You basically look like you're doing a ballet/river dance combo, so you look awesome.

not been in the gym for 2 months :(

i have been going to a chiropractor though and he said my shoulders were forward a lot as well as the top part of my back, etc.

i had a tender bit in my neck, top of back had 2 bits and lower back had 1 bit.

apparently my right leg has been pushed into the socket or something, and it's like half an inch shorter than my left leg and something up with that side of pelvis is it?

anyway i have always though chiropractor's were con artists but i started going after a got a groupon deal for really cheap, initial session plus 3 follow up sessions for £35 i think it was.

he charges like £30 a session after that if you bulk buy you get like £3 off per session for every 12 sessions you book with a maximum of 36.

this guy seems to be really good and genuine but you do feel a bit miffed it costs like £27 for basically 15 mins, but the guy certainly knows what he is doing. im thinking after my 12 extra sessions are over i can replicate the treatment at home, using some fairly weird looking maneuvers.

do you think this problem with my shoulders and upper back being forward could be the reason i have such a weak bench? in comparison to my other lifts? and the reason why maybe my bench/deadlift have not progressed at all in the past year?

im going to ask him more about the right leg thing for sure, see if it can be fixed or whatever. chiropractors do work but they are really expensive, i would recommend trying one out for a month to see if you benefit from it.

Associate
this is going to be the year!

slow start, not Brown gym in 2 months due to moving home and a lot of crap the!

as already said, WSM has put me right back in the mood!

can't wait hit the weights hard, new PRs here I come!

Man of Honour
Pretty good session today. Not as busy as I was expecting. Legs back and chest. :)

So... one of the new PTs there came up to me and asked "are you a powerlifter?" :D :D

He said he saw my form on squats and BORs and said he didn't see many people doing those exercises properly. LOL!

Anyway, we got chatting, and he said "so, probably a stupid question, but what's your diet like?" - needless to say he liked my answers.

So anyway I explained that I've been out of it for a bit and hoping to get my strength back, and not bothered about biceps curls, we chatted a bit and we're meeting up on Wednesday for a review of form/strength/mobility. Powercleans back up to 130kg.

I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Target for this year, get my 250kg deadlift, and repping out 200kg squats. It would be good to get my bench back up to 140kg for reps - but we'll see, not that bothered about it though.

Soldato
Only one way to describe how the gym was just now, ****ing freezing :cool: 5 degrees in there! Only took a couple of sets before i was sweating but damn holding onto a bar that cold hurts like hell. Felt so weak though, 45kg bench for reps :(

Soldato
OP
Only one way to describe how the gym was just now, ****ing freezing :cool: 5 degrees in there! Only took a couple of sets before i was sweating but damn holding onto a bar that cold hurts like hell. Felt so weak though, 45kg bench for reps :(

Haha I know that pain! My gear is all in the garage and it's been close to freezing for a few days.....yesterday was uncomfortable on the hands even with gloves on :eek:

Associate
Good thread. Ive been training 5 years now but ive had 4-5weeks of over Christmas. :( Getting back in to it mid-week :) I was deadlifting 145KG / squatting 130KG before the break now recommended to start back at 100kg deads but up more each week than I normally would until I get back to what I was doing before

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom