*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to switch up / improve my routine for the new year. I was doing a seperate muscle group on each day but have switched to a full upper body workout 2-3 times a week, and legs once a week and have noticed better gains.

This is what I'm doing at the moment:

Monday:

Bench Press Barbell 3 x 5
Incline Bench Press Dumbell 3 x 8
Cable Row 3 x 8
Wide Grip Lat Pulldown 3 x 8
Chin Ups 3 x 8
Side Lat Raises 3 x 10
Arnold Press 3 x 10
Concetration Dumbell Curls 3 x 10
Tricep Dips 3 x 10
Shrugs 1 x 10

Wednesday:

Decline Bench Press Dumbell 3 x 8
Cable Row 3 x 8
Chin Ups 3 x 8
Military Press 3 x 10
Dumbell Shoulder Press 3 x 10
Hammer Curls 3 x 10
Tricep Rope Pulldown 3 x 10
Shrugs 1 x 10

Friday:

Deadlift 3 x 10
Dumbbell Lunges 3 x 10
Leg Extensions 3 x 10
Standing Calf Raise 3 x 10
Weighted Ab Crunches 3 x 10
Leg Press 3 x 10

Saturday:

Incline Bench Press Dumbell 3 x 8
Cable Row 3 x 8
Chin Ups 3 x 8
Side Lat Raises 3 x 10
Arnold Press 3 x 10
Concetration Dumbell Curls 3 x 10
Tricep Dips 3 x 10
Shrugs 1 x 10

Where could I improve this?

You're doing too much volume in 1 session in my opinion.
3 day split would work nicely if you want.

Monday - Legs / Shoulders
Wednesday - Chest / Triceps
Friday - Back / Biceps

I'm currently 5'11 & just over 13 stone. I have excess fat I want to shift around my waist and my chest. I'm going to Ibiza in June so it gives me 6 months to get to where I want to be.

My diet starting from today consists of:

Breakfast - Scrambled eggs (2 eggs)
Snack - Apple
Lunch - Salad & Mackerel
Snack - Turkey pieces
Dinner - Chicken & Veg

I also drink 2-3 litres of water a day

I'm going to start going the gym today (yesterday it was closed).

Monday - Weights
Tuesday - Cardio (rowing)
Wednesday - REST
Thursday - Cardio (rowing)
Friday - Weights
Saturday - REST
Sunday - REST

Anyone have any pointers for me or am I on the right track?

I never used to bother with the last few bicep / tricep exercises or shrugs but found squeezing them in at the end made quite a difference. Sometimes if I've not got the energy i'll just do 1 or 2 sets rather than the full 3.

I was told what I posted above was better than doing a 3 day split as I'd be working out the muscles 3x as often?

I'll be more active in this part of the forums this year ;) Been training for about 1 1/2 years took about 6 month break but getting back in it since last sept. Training is good but my diet lacks and could be better which is what i'll be sorting out this year :)

Chaps I just had my personal training session thing.

My new proposed exercise is all cardio based with no weights incorporated at all, is this OK for a while? Really need some advice as I am hearing different things from different sources so I don't know which is best.

Today I did interval training (think that's what its called).

Running machine
X-Trainer
Rower
Bike
Crunches and press ups (not actually doing a press up just holding the position).

Before I had been doing just rowing and bike with added weights, but the cardio I was doing was not tiring me out anywhere near as much as today.

Help :(

Back today, first proper workout for about two weeks and it was another AR7 session for the legs. Followed by leg press, then leg curls and extensions.

Had to shuffle down the stairs on my backside :o

Not too bad a session today but I have gone back to an empty bar on the OHP. I keep breaking form by leaning back so starting again going nice and slow whilst really concentrating :)

I was told what I posted above was better than doing a 3 day split as I'd be working out the muscles 3x as often?

You only want to train one body part a week really. 2x a week split works for a lot of people as well. More rest more growth ;)

EDIT: Unless your on gear then your body doesn't take aslong to repair

There are no "rules" as to how many times you train other than you can over train and if you don't train properly or hard enough then you won't gain anything. If you don't sleep enough or allow enough recovery or allow for proper nutrition you'll end up doing very little for yourself in either case. Personally training 3x a week is more than enough to get some decent gains. However it depends on numerous factors:

1) Intensity
2) Volume
3) %age of 1RM in relation to 1 & 2.
4) Diet
5) Sleep
6) Individual body's response to training

Get all of those right, then whether you train 3x or 5x a week will make no odds. The frequency of training is down to you to gauge how you're body is responding. Personally, mine can cope with 5x a week - i.e. doing a body part twice in a period of 7 days - but doing different movements. However, if my intensity and volume is high, then I know that training a body part once a week, with perhaps some subsidiary exercises works better.

Ultimately everyone responds differently as per point #6. It's how you make your body work that will be the deciding factor.

Hopefully become a bit more active on this forum as i have been long time lurker:D. I have my goals set however need to completely revamp and restructure my diet and training routine.

I hope to keep a diary going while documenting both my efforts. should make some good reading when looking back on :p

This time next year i wish to be a hell of a lot fitter (think Bruce Lee here :D) . Aim in to increase cardio quite dramatically this year as unfortunately i have not long since returned from a long term knee injury, progress here will be slow but if i can do 10-15k runs easily enough that will be good. Now to add a fair few KGs on in lean mass and ill be happy!

Chaps I just had my personal training session thing.

My new proposed exercise is all cardio based with no weights incorporated at all, is this OK for a while? Really need some advice as I am hearing different things from different sources so I don't know which is best.

Today I did interval training (think that's what its called).

Running machine
X-Trainer
Rower
Bike
Crunches and press ups (not actually doing a press up just holding the position).

Before I had been doing just rowing and bike with added weights, but the cardio I was doing was not tiring me out anywhere near as much as today.

Help :(

what are your goals?

I don't understand how someone can recommend a programme without weights,

regardless of goals, its the fundamentals!

I think I'm one of the many few pts out there who actually do the Job from experience and not from a book.

tbh there's a lot of good advice on here, also save the the £15-30 your paying.

I hope to get a bit more involved in this thread this year.

Did my second session of the year today, the gym was stupidly busy, mostly guys "working out" their biceps and abs whilst the females were all on the cross trainers :D Hopefully that will die down over the next few weeks as i much prefer a quieter gym!

Main goals this year are cutting a little bit, and i'm fairly happy with my mass/strength, but adding a little wouldn't go a miss :D

First session back after a two and a half week break and my strength felt very good. Kept it pretty basic to get me back in the swing of things but I plan to start a proper routine next week.

Squats
100x10
120x10
140x10

Bench
60x10
80x10
100x10

Power Clean-ish to Press
45x1
50x1
55x1
60x1
65x1
70x1
75x1
80x1

Heading in for my first session of the new year tomorrow morning after my night shift, wish me luck! and also God help any of the new years resolution lot that get in my way, my fuse is rather short after being up all night :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom