*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Decided to sort out my diet - a tad more structured.

So far its roughly 150g Protein, 410g Carbs 60g Fats + plus dinner however this varies quite a lot and have yet to measure it out as such. There is a fair bit of pasta and rice in there (Cant say no to my nans cooking :p ) But do the ratios look too distorted ? mine look like 25/65/10 ideally ive read it should be shaped to 20/40/40 for bulking

i could include more snacking on nuts and seeds i spose , i havent factored them in to the calculations. Roughly i aim to consume 2.7Kcalories + dinner and snacks(if required) so i see this being around 3.3k/3.5kcal intake IF i can keep it up..

To make it clear i'm in the process of bulking, put on an initial 1.25 Stone but hit a brick wall in the last week in terms of gaining anything at all, i dropped slightly. I know the most likely advice would be to add another 500kcals to what i was doing before but i wish to get slightly more structured. If there are any links out there in terms of diet please barrage me with them all the stuff i have read has been slightly wishy washy. Thanks !

Soldato
Having to get up at 6am, just to get enough time for mobility and workout session before work:eek:

Squats - 77.5kg (doing more overall volume while I work on form)
OHP - 57.5kg (Doing it feet together to help with core, feels good :D)
Deadlift - 110kg
chin-ups - BW (Gonna start slowly adding weight on to belt. Gonna also start alternating between pull ups and chin ups)
Should hopefully be getting pullum band in a few days to add to mobility workout too. Will feel good not to keep hurting lower back!

Oh and one more thing... SHIN SPLINTS!! :mad:. One thing that can stop me in my tracks. Hopefully the more I do HIIT, the better it will get.

Last edited:
Soldato
Having to get up at 6am, just to get enough time for mobility and workout session before work:eek:

Squats - 77.5kg (doing more overall volume while I work on form)
OHP - 57.5kg (Doing it feet together to help with core, feels good :D)
Deadlift - 110kg
chin-ups - BW (Gonna start slowly adding weight on to belt. Gonna also start alternating between pull ups and chin ups)
Should hopefully be getting pullum band in a few days to add to mobility workout too. Will feel good not to keep hurting lower back!

Oh and one more thing... SHIN SPLINTS!! :mad:. One thing that can stop me in my tracks. Hopefully the more I do HIIT, the better it will get.

Foam roller mate, sorted my shins right out. Hurts like hell when you roll them but makes a massive difference.

Associate
Ok, so I want to start Wendler's 5/3/1 today coupled with some mobility work but should I do it before or after the session. Also getting my head round calcuating 5/3/1 is pretty confusing =P

Associate
Got recomended it a month or two before but never got round to changing my workout from my full body but my strength has stalled now so I want to try somthing different for a few months to improve my strenght before I cut for summer :) Plus the epic strength gains made by you when using it :D

Can't see it untill I get home due to these crappy school computers :(

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I didn't make epic strength gains really, what the program did was provide a structure to extract my strength. In honesty I had only just got started with the program after 2 months and was about to start the slow slow process of increasing those lifts. You see, in the first 2 months I basically found my current strength level. I'm going to switch back to 531 after I've finished bulking up a bit more so I can coordinate a cut/maintenance while on on the program.

Associate
Ah I see. I really need to change my routine tho as I've been doing basically the same thing for 3-4 months now. This routine coupled with mobilty work as I still can't even touch my toes will hopefully help me unlock some hidden strength I may have then. I'll just tweak my diet and add in some more HIIT when summer comes up then?

Soldato
the first number is the lowering bit of the lift (3 seconds)
the second is the pause (0 seconds)
the third is the lifting part (1 second or X for explosive)
the fourth is the rest in between (0 seconds)

Different tempos give different results :)

*in my experience

Bodybuilders seem to like longer eccentric and concentric phases 3-0-3-0
Powerlifters like very little eccentric (in some cases it can't be helped) 1-0-1(X)-0 (pauses at the bottom part of the squat and bench are common to develop good drive from the chest/hole) 2-2-1(X)-0
Oly lifters just throw insane amounts of weight about like it's nothing X-X-X-X

Last edited:
Soldato
Those terms are quite generic though as most people who go to the gym wouldn't think of themselves at BB, PL or Oly.

You want to look good - Bodybuilder
You want to be strong - powerlifter
You want to be athletic - Oly lifter

Most men are a mix of 1 and 2.

Caporegime
First day back on SS

Squats: 25kg, 30kg, 45kg, 60kg, 70kg
Bench: 25Kg, 30kg, 40kg, 50kg, 60kg
Deadlift: 35kg, 50kg, 75kg, 90kg

Only managed 2 at 90 for the deadlift, think I set my weights too high, I based them on my 5/3/1 figures, which doesn't really account for two major leg exercises on the same day.

Bring on tomorrow, never done a power clean before - this should be fun!

Man of Honour
First day back on SS

Squats: 25kg, 30kg, 45kg, 60kg, 70kg
Bench: 25Kg, 30kg, 40kg, 50kg, 60kg
Deadlift: 35kg, 50kg, 75kg, 90kg

Only managed 2 at 90 for the deadlift, think I set my weights too high, I based them on my 5/3/1 figures, which doesn't really account for two major leg exercises on the same day.

Bring on tomorrow, never done a power clean before - this should be fun!
If you're anywhere near failing on your first day, you've set your weights FAR too high.

The fist few sessions should be easy. Have you read up on how to use the programme?

Soldato
If you're anywhere near failing on your first day, you've set your weights FAR too high.

The fist few sessions should be easy. Have you read up on how to use the programme?

To echo this, programmes such as SS and SL always start you light, so you can get your form right and then progress properly. Not that I've read up on SS, but on SL, they basically say you shouldn't really stall on your first 12 weeks if doing it properly (although that purely depends on diet, rest etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom