*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Damn, push presses gave me some wicked triceps DOMS. Got a session today after only 3-4 hours sleep and had a very long day yesterday. -_-

Caporegime
Hey Brynn, if you want to understand what Ice and LiE mean when they say that 5/3/1 is an advanced routine check this link here

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

and stuff...

I'm at the novice level, which ties in with the fact I have only been training for 9 months.

I will switch to a SS workout for a few months to see how it goes. I downloaded a spreadsheet which does all the calculations for me, so that ticks one of my boxes.

My only issue is I want to keep going 4 days (Mon,Tues, Thurs, Fri) so I picked on with a A/B split. I looked into the periodisation bit on SS website, and I know that I need to do a Heavy/Medium and Heavy/Light split on my Squats, as 4xHeavy will ruin me. Question - how do I up the weight each time, if I'm doing Heavy/Medium/Heavy/Light do I just use the Medium and Light % of 1RM on the new value (i.e. increase it each session by 2.5, but then multiply it down for medium and light?).

I think one of the reasons why I don't want to go back to SS, is that its a little boring. I quite enjoyed doing dips and pulldowns in the 5/3/1 program I was doing.

Ok - now for the personals :

27 Male (because females are non existant online, even moreso in a weightlifting thread!)

6' 2", 69Kgs, I want to be somewhere around 80Kgs. As I'm fed up looking skinny and lanky. I'm starting to fill out properly, and thats due to putting on 10kgs over the past 3 months.

1RPmax's Bench = 65Kgs, Deadlift = 105Kgs, Squat = 85Kgs and OHP = 45Kgs.

Yesterdays diet was : 2767 calories, 20% protein, 34% Fat, 46% Carbs. I missed out on an afternoon snack and a glass of milk in the evening - so it should have been 3431 calories - 20% protein, 39% Fat, 41% Carbs.

Soldato
It looks like your heading down the right track as far as diet is concerned.

Regarding workouts an a/b split 4 days a week is fine.

As far as knowing what weight you should be lifting and how to make it progressive there are plenty if things you can do. This is what I do. I worked out my 1rm and I am doing 3x8 working sets on the big lifts. The first is 70% of 1rm the second set is 75% 1rm and the last working set is 80% 1rm. Each week I add 2.5kg to the 1rm figure of all lifts and 5kg to deadlift.
So far I am just ending week 4 and I haven't stalled on anything so I have not needed to deload.

You could even consider to just keep things simple and do a split routine and wrk to 3 sets of 8-10 reps and and look to add 2.5kg to each lift per workout. Assisantance exercises just keep them simple up te weights when you feel you can do the exercise comfortably.

Last edited:
Soldato
Shoulder day, love the one day of the week I'll wear a vest to the gym, such mobility!

- OHP 3x8
- Seated laterals/front raises/DB presses circuits, 3x8
- Facepulls w/ cable rear fly supersets 3x8
- Upright rows 3x8
- BB shrugs w/ DB shrugs super setted 3x8

Am saving any arm work, guna smash out a 5x5 DL session with arms tomorrow, as I've a party to go to in the evening, curls for girls right! hahaha.

Takes about 40 mins completely ploughing it, after the circuits the lactic acid is INSANE, any suggestion on how to mitigate it?

A friend of mine has just hit a 1/4tonne deadlift and put in on facebook, it's insane weight!!

Soldato
Feeling it today but I'm dropping body fat, gaining strength, speed and endurance....can't complain too much.

Tonight is a bit of whatever I like :) wrestling if anyones about otherwise it'll be plyos and sprints.

Roll on 6 o'clock :D

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Shoulder day, love the one day of the week I'll wear a vest to the gym, such mobility!

- OHP 3x8
- Seated laterals/front raises/DB presses circuits, 3x8
- Facepulls w/ cable rear fly supersets 3x8
- Upright rows 3x8
- BB shrugs w/ DB shrugs super setted 3x8

Am saving any arm work, guna smash out a 5x5 DL session with arms tomorrow, as I've a party to go to in the evening, curls for girls right! hahaha.

Takes about 40 mins completely ploughing it, after the circuits the lactic acid is INSANE, any suggestion on how to mitigate it?

A friend of mine has just hit a 1/4tonne deadlift and put in on facebook, it's insane weight!!

Looks like a beastily workout. As for the burn, you'll just have to suck it up :p nothing more uncomfortable than massive rear delt burn/pump.

Soldato
Looks like a beastily workout. As for the burn, you'll just have to suck it up :p nothing more uncomfortable than massive rear delt burn/pump.

Cheers! Naww balls! Might stick some dextrose in my flask and sip that during!

Agreed, side delt burn is a lot worse for me though, have to put my arms up against a wall for 20 secs or so sometimes until it goes, but putting arms back down it comes straight back :(

PAz

PAz

Soldato
On week 5 of DeFrancos built like a bad ass routine. Very different to how I'd normally train but enjoying it. Can definitely see an improvement in my general conditioning as well which is nice.

Soldato

I probably look like a complete *** wearing mine but o well i just can't stand working out in a tshirt. At least it's not a full scale douche vest with more skin showing than material :D

Awesome chest workout. Love the pump i'm getting from high volume cable flys.

Soldato
I probably look like a complete *** wearing mine but o well i just can't stand working out in a tshirt. At least it's not a full scale douche vest with more skin showing than material :D

Awesome chest workout. Love the pump i'm getting from high volume cable flys.

I think it's body dysmorphia (sp?), which I why I won't typically wear them, having BF a bit of the high side (love handles..) probably is the cause for that though.

Only wear them on doing shoulders which is down to the practicality of it! (plus peeps be mirin' when the traps are a poppin' ;) )

Last edited:
Soldato
Bit of a disappointing shoulder workout:

BB Standing Shoulder Press 40kgx8, 40kgx5
Shoulder Press smith machine seated: 20kgx8, 20kgx8, 20kgx8
DB Shoulder press seated: 24kgx8, 24kgx8, 24kgx8
Front delt raise: 24kgx8, 16kgx8, 16kgx8
Side lat raise: 16kgx8, 16kgx8, 8kgx8
BB Rear delt row: 60kgx8, 50kgx8, 50kgx8

Going out tonight and driving; so no drink and thought it was a good opportunity to do shoulders...I just wish they were neglected less.

It will be chest and triceps tomorrow. Can't wait :)

Kind regards,

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom