• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I’ve never really noticed the sports arena on the forum before & I was happy to see a gym rats thread.

Now im not sure if this is the correct place to ask for help with routines or not but I thought it was worth a try.

Basically I have not really trainined for about 11months (I know) due to a neck injury playing rugby and have a real urge to get back into it, now that everything has been sorted.

So on the weekend I went to the local community gym to do the old routine 5x5 full body routine. As I had plenty of time I decided that I would do a trial run of everything that I would normally split over 2 days Monday/Wednesday.
Now the thing is that I haven’t really lost much strength, I just has this extra layer of thick skin covering my body ...loll. (could just be oldish age setting in)

Here is the routine as I would normally do over a week, with the lower trial weights that I did this weekend as it was my first time back in 11 months. All 5x5, no bar weight taken into account

Day 1
Deadlifts 118kg Good
Bent back rows barbell 78kg I hope you DON'T bend your back ;)
Olympic barbell curls 58kg Shouldn't be doing these 5x5, and if you're doing them with 58kg + 20kg bar weight then either you are a mutant or you're doing them wrong
Machine flys 78kg Fine, but as an assistance exercise it shouldn't be 5x5
Weighted Crunches machine 95kg As Delvis says, there are better core exercises

Day2
Flat bench barbell 119kg Good
Calf Raises (3 x 12) 157kg Good, but not before squats
Dumbell shoulder press 35kg Fine
Tricep Dips 30kg plus body weight Fine
Squats 122kg Aren't you a little tired by this point to give such an important exercise the energy it deserves?
Weighted Crunches machine 95kg

Although I want to go back to the gym I found this incredibly boring and sort of thought what’s the point until I look in the mirror.... then my motivation come back a little.

I was wondering if anyone had a similar full body routine 2 or 3 day that I could try or maybe there’s some other exercises that I could use instead. I sort of like to be in and out of the gym within 45mins normally
I think the largest weight will be getting myself to the gym after not going for so long.

Any advice for getting back into things will appreciated.
Comments in RED.

There are plenty of alternative exercises to consider, and you could even consider having three different days in the gym.

Also, doing ab work isn't going to shed belly fat, your diet will.

Man of Honour
Figured as much.

He's saying his tri's are taking over too much, so he's going to pre-exhaust them so to speak...

It's probably his technique more than anything.
That's definitely a technique issue.

Pre-fatiguing isn't going to help, if anything it will just make him more tricep dominant.

General rule of thumb: To fix most problems you need to get more basic, not add fancy new dimensions to your training.

Caporegime
That's definitely a technique issue.

Pre-fatiguing isn't going to help, if anything it will just make him more tricep dominant.

General rule of thumb: To fix most problems you need to get more basic, not add fancy new dimensions to your training.

Cool. Figured as much really. Tried to give him a few pointers (as well as I can considering i'm a noob and just have moobs anyway) but he probably won't take them on

He's got a pretty decent physique as it is from training etc, so it's not as if he doesn't know what he's doing...I would post a pic but I'd rather find a publicly available one than yoink from the profile

Associate
SMed said:
Got a ****-tonne of work to do by tomorrow, pretty much going to have to work through the night. And then do the 4x9 day, my least favourite, on the last and heaviest week of Smolov. This should be... interdasting.

Yep. Worked straight through the night. Slept for 20 minutes on the train, had 1 tesco sandwich and a coffee, sat for 3 hours working with my supervisor, went straight to the gym.

I had no intention of training today; didn't bring my knee sleeves, towel or a clean change of clothes. I did have my kit in my locker though.

Truly horrific, everything was painful, but I got everything done. And threw up afterwards. First time throwing up after a session. I've come close before, but never all the way. Felt way better after though. I'm absolutely destroyed though, may go to sleep at 8pm.

Smolov Day 9, Week 3:

Squats:
60x5
60x3
80x2
95x2
110x1
127.5x9
127.5x9
127.5x9
127.5x9
vomit x 1
double cheeseburger x 2
milkshake x 1

Associate
Do not advise. -_-

But thanks... :D

I remember people talking to me and I could just about muster the cognitive effort to think to myself, "I'm supposed to reply with talking when addressed..." ...and then nothing, just sat there quiet.

Soldato
I was wondering if anyone had a similar full body routine 2 or 3 day that I could try or maybe there’s some other exercises that I could use instead. I sort of like to be in and out of the gym within 45mins normally
I think the largest weight will be getting myself to the gym after not going for so long.

Any advice for getting back into things will appreciated.

what are you specific goals to start with? Do you want to gain muscle or lose fat?

There's plenty of routines you can do over 3 days a week. You could consider strong lifts 5x5 this is an a/b work out that can be done 2+ days a week.

You could consider doing a 3 day split routine working chest/tris, back/Bi's, legs/shoulders and do a few ab exercises spread over the 3 days.

Main basics of a good routine are your big compound exercises, Deadlift,squat,bench press, OHP supported with good assistance exercises that are compound rather then isolation, good exercises are dips, close grip bench, RDL's, etc.

If I were to do a split routine I would focus on 3 sets of 8 reps at working weight.

Sorry for being a little vague but without clear goals it's hard to set out a good routine.

Soldato
Wendler cycle 1 week 2

Squats 112.5x10

Pleased with this as hit 107.5x10 in week 1. Also pleased as made improvements with my form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom