• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Soldato
Aye, they're amazing for getting a strong core.

One step at a time, after I can get 20 reps of hanging leg raises I'll start to slowly work on lying down leg raises and then the dragon flag again.

Begbie just give me the link and I'll sort you out :)

Soldato
Just realised I need to start cutting on the carbs again. :(
Not going to be fun at all, I hate that always hungry feeling.

Time to start buying almonds and dates again for snacks.

Associate
I love it when crippling DOMS disappear over night, it's such a good feeling to get out of bed and be able to walk :).

Last week before my deload now. Next week deads go down to about 70% and I don't bench at all for that week, although I might do some assistance type stuff, light dumbbell stuff maybe.

If I'm honest I'm looking forward to deloading on bench, I'm not used to this kind of crazy volume, but it definitely has been working which is good.

Associate
old gym rat trying to return after 11+ months out

I’ve never really noticed the sports arena on the forum before & I was happy to see a gym rats thread.

Now im not sure if this is the correct place to ask for help with routines or not but I thought it was worth a try.

Basically I have not really trainined for about 11months (I know) due to a neck injury playing rugby and have a real urge to get back into it, now that everything has been sorted.

So on the weekend I went to the local community gym to do the old routine 5x5 full body routine. As I had plenty of time I decided that I would do a trial run of everything that I would normally split over 2 days Monday/Wednesday.
Now the thing is that I haven’t really lost much strength, I just has this extra layer of thick skin covering my body ...loll. (could just be oldish age setting in)

Here is the routine as I would normally do over a week, with the lower trial weights that I did this weekend as it was my first time back in 11 months. All 5x5, no bar weight taken into account

Day 1
Deadlifts 118kg
Bent back rows barbell 78kg
Olympic barbell curls 58kg
Machine flys 78kg
Weighted Crunches machine 95kg

Day2
Flat bench barbell 119kg
Calf Raises (3 x 12) 157kg
Dumbell shoulder press 35kg
Tricep Dips 30kg plus body weight
Squats 122kg
Weighted Crunches machine 95kg

Although I want to go back to the gym I found this incredibly boring and sort of thought what’s the point until I look in the mirror.... then my motivation come back a little.

I was wondering if anyone had a similar full body routine 2 or 3 day that I could try or maybe there’s some other exercises that I could use instead. I sort of like to be in and out of the gym within 45mins normally
I think the largest weight will be getting myself to the gym after not going for so long.

Any advice for getting back into things will appreciated.

Caporegime
I'd personally drop the weighted crunch machine (whatever that is) and do some other core work regarding that.

The Fly Machine, why not do DB Flys? :)

And yes, this is the right place to be asking for future reference.

Associate
ah the weighted crunches (ab machine really but it then sounds like a QVC product lol). most of the thicker skin resideds around the waist...
what other core work would you recommend

yeah dumbell flys seem a good idea :)

Caporegime
ah the weighted crunches (ab machine really but it then sounds like a QVC product lol). most of the thicker skin resideds around the waist...
what other core work would you recommend

yeah dumbell flys seem a good idea :)

Hopefully a few others will chip in...But things like:

Planks, Ab-Wheel roll-outs, Leg Raises (hanging or lying), reverse crunches, Dragon Flags.

Many would argue crunches aren't all that good for you as well :)

Soldato
So I did some more reading/ thinking and have decided that, as a beginner, I should do fewer routines so as to hit each body part more often. So I'm going to reduce a 4 way split to two and keep it to the simple lifts rather than simple lifts plus ancillaries. And change from 3*8 to 5 * 5. Basically I've drawn up my own starting strength.

Today I did routine A:

DB Bench 5 * 20s 5 * 22.5s 5 * 22.5s 5 * 22.5s 5 * 22.5s
DL 5 * 80 5 * 80 5 * 90 5 * 100 5 * 100
BB Incline Bench 5 * 35 5 * 35 5 * 37.5 5 * 37.5 5 * 40
DB Shrugs 8 * 22.5 8 * 25 5 * 30 12 * 25 10 * 25

The weights are a bit all over the place for a few reasons:
because I'm trying to find my working weight for 5*5
my confidence is increasing all the time for deadlifts, that's my first 100kg pull, and I still think I have more to give.
someone friggin stole the 27.5kg DBs that I wanted to shrug.

Anyway, workout B will look like this:
pullups
rows (T bar or DB BOR)
squats
military press

Thoughts anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom