• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Believe me, if anything i'm a bicep monkey at the moment

My chest is pitiful, migbht hit it twice a week :p ;)

It help me hit my 100kg target I was hitting my chest twice a week, I would do bench 3x6 and bench DB flys 3x15 at the end of my leg day on a monday and then do my chest session on a thursday. This helped me go from 85kg bench rm to 100kg (need more depth to be 100% happy with it) in 12 weeks :)

Caporegime
I think volume may be the answer for me....I'll have to see how things pan out over the next few months :)

I keep waking up with a right pain in my back lately =/ Think it's my bed

Soldato
Yeah I was doing 3x8 volume wise on the chest day, just kept the volume down as I wanted to push the same weight I would be pushing that week but because it was at the end of my leg session I was a bit tired already :)

Soldato
Holiday finishes tomorrow, so back to training for me! Need to get rid of this slight podge I put on too :(

Thinking of doing my normal SL routine in the morning, but adding in Complexes 2.0 (50kg) after work, as I wont be able to fit them in my morning session. Either that or swap out complexes for lifts such as Power Clean, RDL, Lunges etc.

I will still be doing my core work, so that wont be changing :D

Soldato
Well I am on to wendler cycle 1 week 3.

This weeks targets:

Squat 120kg x9
Deadlift 127.5kg x9
Bench 85kg x8
OHP 57.5kg x7

Squats was today, 120kg x9 achieved, pretty pleased with this, also had a good camera man for a change (thanks LiE) also borrowed his belt.

I was going to do a tenth rep as I felt I had plenty left, but I put this down to the belt and didn't want to scew my figures for the cycle.

Followed up with 4x10 GHR's, brutal! And some goblet squats, haha these need a lot of work but hoping they will help with my flexibility issues.

Soldato
Speaking of Goblet squats, could someone explain these to me (How they help flexibility etc). To a rookie like me, they look a bit like front squats but holding a dumbbell :D

Last edited:
Associate
I was going to do a tenth rep as I felt I had plenty left, but I put this down to the belt and didn't want to scew my figures for the cycle.

Probably should have just gone for it. Strength is strength and I would be surprised if the belt added that much.

Actually just saw the video and you had a few reps left in the tank from the looks of it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Speaking of Goblet squats, could someone explain these to me (How they help flexibility etc). To a rookie like me, they look a bit like front squats but holding a dumbbell :D

I think they help with flexibility as your able to go lower, and with strict form you can get a good stretch on your hams. As your using a dumbbell the weight is further forward then a front squat.

Probably should have just gone for it. Strength is strength and I would be surprised if the belt added that much.

Actually just saw the video and you had a few reps left in the tank from the looks of it.

For me the belt defiantly helps as my core is not developed enough and this allows me to really hold the core tighter then normal. Your right I should have done the reps, but I don't want to become reliant on a belt for lifting heavy so I am working hard on bringing my core up to speed with 2x core workouts a week :D

Associate
Wearing a belt doesn't necessarily make you reliant on a belt. Your core doesn't 'go to sleep' when wearing a belt. Your unbelted squat will go right along with your belted squat, just at a certain percentage lower.

Associate
I think they help with flexibility as your able to go lower, and with strict form you can get a good stretch on your hams. As your using a dumbbell the weight is further forward then a front squat.

The hamstring should be nice and short during the lift with your ass between your ankles, so if you are getting a stretch when you are doing them you are probably doing them incorrectly.

Deception: My brother (Icecold) will be putting Goblet squats in the form thread any day now :).

Wearing a belt doesn't necessarily make you reliant on a belt. Your core doesn't 'go to sleep' when wearing a belt. Your unbelted squat will go right along with your belted squat, just at a certain percentage lower.

This.

Soldato
The hamstring should be nice and short during the lift with your ass between your ankles, so if you are getting a stretch when you are doing them you are probably doing them incorrectly.

Deception: My brother (Icecold) will be putting Goblet squats in the form thread any day now :).

Just checked the thread too, for them. Good to know they will be put in as im looking at other lifts to add to my current to target any weak area's of mine.. That I enjoy trying new things (with proper form of course :p)

Soldato
Soldato

Just poor knowledge on my part then :(

I look forward to the guide :)

Man of Honour
I personally feel a belt enables you to get away with poorer form with bigger lifts. i don't think it encourages poor form, not at all, but I feel it gives lifters with poorer form that comfort blanket. I'm sure most of you will disagree, but that's just how I feel.

Caporegime
You should never "have to" IMO.

True :)

Basically, I'm only going to be lifting what my body will allow me to lift, unless I ever compete (which I highly doubt) I more than likely will never use one.

I'm the same with certain supplements, I would rather get to the size I can be without taking too many supplements, otherwise if I was to stop taking them, I'd just turn to pulp so to speak.

Well, that's my logic (albeit weird) but it's the same with knee straps and the like, unless I for some reason need them due to injury, then meh :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom