• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I guess you have hit your lowest point Nightmare.

I'm sorry to hear that everyone is becoming a shut door for you even your friends and family. But neither know your boundaries or your limits and neither could ever possibly know what you can and will achieve.

Keep on as you are. Hopefully there will never, ever be a relapse again. The human body is capable of so much through determination and even if you only have yourself to push you, we are here too.

I would like to see you at the Muscleworks meet, we all will.

All the best,

David

PAz

PAz

Soldato
I'd keep doing your triples, in a peaking fashion, until the week before. If you need to drop the weight down now to be able to peak at that point, do it. Then do one session of speed work early on in the "rest" week. Then proceed to awesomeness.

Thanks ice.

Caporegime
Last edited:
Man of Honour
I wouldn't want my child putting their body through so much stress regardless if others think its ok or not. Put that's just my opinion.
Well that's ok, but there is zero evidence that it causes any problems.

Take gymnasts for example, it's very common for children to get involved early on. The assumption here is that "it's not weights" or "there isn't as much stress on the body", but you'd be surprised at some of the forces involved. I think I've read that during sprinting the achilles tendon is subjected to something like 9x bodyweight, but you don't see people stopping their children from running.

Associate
That's exactly how I feel about it. I started lifting heavy younger than most people and before that I was training as a rower, which I'm sure any will tell you is by no means fun and easy. I think as long as these kids learn the right things, have near perfect form on everything they do and enjoy themselves without getting hurt then it's a great idea.

I'm not sure about sprinting but I know when you jump and land Mr Achilles take up to 16x bodyweight. It's funny, it's almost like we are designed to do this :).

Man of Honour
Well that's ok, but there is zero evidence that it causes any problems.

Take gymnasts for example, it's very common for children to get involved early on. The assumption here is that "it's not weights" or "there isn't as much stress on the body", but you'd be surprised at some of the forces involved. I think I've read that during sprinting the achilles tendon is subjected to something like 9x bodyweight, but you don't see people stopping their children from running.

I'd certainly hope you are right and that it doesn't cause any damage but I'd also guess that there's something to be said for a bit of moderation in such things, particularly while childrens bodies are still developing.

I'll admit that I've got nothing especially scientific to back that up, it's just something I'd think makes reasonable logical sense but in the absence of supporting evidence how much weight should be attributed to that is entirely at your discretion.

Soldato
I could use a little diet help please (Steedie ;)), my current goals are cutting to finally get rid of my pre gym fat.

My BMR is 1790
Height 68"
Weight 177lb (80kg)
BF% around 18-20%
LBM 143lb

I work out 4 days a week doing wendler as my main weights routine currently and 15 mins hiit 2x a week and 2x core workout + mobility the rest of the week.
I have an office job so very little activity other then the gym.

my diet has to be convenient (no fridge, or microwave at work) and reasonably cheap (current cost for my food is approx £15 per week), while helping me hit my desired macros, currently the diet looks like this.

Breakfast: 7:30am
muesli 50g
milk 200ml

Mid Morning Snack 10:00am
300g chicken + sauce

Lunch 12:00
slice of brown bread
50g peanut butter
10g nutella (purely a taste thing for me)
Banana

Afternoon shake 14:00
2 scoops protein
50g oats

during the day snack
25g nuts

Pre training totals:
Protein 138g
Carbs 154g
Fat 61g
Cals 1729

Evening meal:
As my wife is a child minder we tend to have whatever the kids are having. Very often one of the following:
Lasagne, Garlic Bread, Veg
Spag Bol
Meatballs, boiled potatoes, veg
Sausage Casserole, veg, potatoes
Sheppard’s Pie, veg
Fajitas
Chicken Curry, Rice
Chicken Pie, Veg, Potatoes
Fish cakes, Beans, Potatoes

Due to the variation i allow the following for dinner
Protein 20g
Carbs 50g
Fat 20g
Cals 500

At weekends my diet is all over the place, most weekends I will at least try and stick to my macros through the healthiest easy option but sometimes this doesn’t happen :(

My totals are as follows

Rest Day
Protein 158g
Carbs 205g
Fat 81g
Cals 2229

Training Day
Protein 177g
Carbs 251g
Fat 83g
Cals 2510

Associate
IMO its disgusting that a 10 year old is allowed to lift, her body is still growing and that can't be good for her.

Edit: At the end of the video they say they have seen experts and according to them its fine. "She has a gift use it" Still a bit off to me.
I'd certainly hope you are right and that it doesn't cause any damage but I'd also guess that there's something to be said for a bit of moderation in such things, particularly while childrens bodies are still developing.

I'll admit that I've got nothing especially scientific to back that up, it's just something I'd think makes reasonable logical sense but in the absence of supporting evidence how much weight should be attributed to that is entirely at your discretion.

As has been said, zero evidence to support any detrimental harm to children weightlifting, and that's not for a lack of investigation. It has been investigated many times. Not just for injuries and such, but for the often quoted "height development". Scientists have investigated a potential relationship between lifting weights and height and have so far failed to find any relationship at all. Lifting weights as a child does not make you shorter.

Some of the most dangerous sports a child could possible take part in is football and rugby, by a long margin. And I'm not talking about total numbers of reported injuries, I'm talking rates of injuries. Weightlifting is way way down near the bottom of the table.

It may be odd to think about it over here, but in China and other Eastern European Countries, they all start lifting as children.

Now, there could be some other issues with overtraining and what these kids might be having to go through, but that's not specific to lifting.

I presume the parents are American :p

I think one would only presume they're American since it's on an internet video. There are many... many more children training like this in China and some Eastern European countries.

Man of Honour

Think of it in terms of children playing on climbing around on frames, running and jumping, and fighting each other for fun. All basically the same movements and the same and sometimes greater stimulus and stresses.

I was chatting to a strength and conditioning coach who said he would see no problem with getting 12 year olds doing cleans.

I think we would all agree that the utmost care is required, not just for children's physical development and well being, but also the psychology of a young mind. This is where I think there might be a problem for that girl, but I wouldn't want to judge without knowing more.

Caporegime
Snip

My totals are as follows

Rest Day
Protein 158g
Carbs 205g
Fat 81g
Cals 2229

Training Day
Protein 177g
Carbs 251g
Fat 83g
Cals 2510

Wow, it doesn't look like that much :p

If you want to cut fat, naturally as you know you'll want to be in a deficit :) Mind you, you are doing a fair wack of cardio anyway

Simplest things to cut back on would be the lunch (not much there anyway!) and cutting back on the shake a touch possibly. You could even have a smaller chicken portion size. The nuts are probably reasonably fatty as well no?

Hopefully Mr.Steeds will come along (or someone else) and give you a bit more insight, as he's helped me keep costs down as well :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom