• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Horses for courses=) I personally enjoy the daily routine it gives me, I think I'd seriously struggle with bulking or cutting if I didn't miticulously measure out food every day.

Weighed in at 77.3kg this morning - wanted to be at 77kg really, but loss has slown down a bit. 20 minutes cardio a day should see me back on track according to Mr Steeds, so let's see how this week pans out=)

Nice work man

My weights been up and down all weekend by a pound or two (shock horror) - Been eating like a horse this weekend mind :p

dod

dod

Soldato
Horses for courses=) I personally enjoy the daily routine it gives me, I think I'd seriously struggle with bulking or cutting if I didn't miticulously measure out food every day.

Weighed in at 77.3kg this morning - wanted to be at 77kg really, but loss has slown down a bit. 20 minutes cardio a day should see me back on track according to Mr Steeds, so let's see how this week pans out=)

One of my initial goals was fat loss and I set a target weight of 12.5 stone, roughly a two stone loss.

I got down to 13 about 4 months ago but have been sneaking back up to 13 1/2 ever since although it seems to be stable there. I finally subscribed to myfitness to track food etc and find that a lot of the time I've actually been eating about 2300/2500 calories a day which is about 600 more that I should be to achieve weight loss.

It's hard work this and I'm still not sure I'm getting things right :o

Soldato
I use a belt with heavier pulls but not squats (find it uncomfortable), mainly as a safety thing. I don't think "I can add x kg because I've got a belt on", I just lift what I would lift but with the belt.

Last night for example, no belt until pulling over 200 :)

I'd love to do a deadlifting session with you man!!!! :D

Man of Honour
"Bodybuiliding" is a generic term really nowadays... however I do specifically state I enjoy weightlifting, and strength training rather than saying bodybuilding. Whilst I am after improvement, I'm more interested in performance. :)

Soldato
One of my initial goals was fat loss and I set a target weight of 12.5 stone, roughly a two stone loss.

I got down to 13 about 4 months ago but have been sneaking back up to 13 1/2 ever since although it seems to be stable there. I finally subscribed to myfitness to track food etc and find that a lot of the time I've actually been eating about 2300/2500 calories a day which is about 600 more that I should be to achieve weight loss.

It's hard work this and I'm still not sure I'm getting things right :o

Post up your routine and diet and I'm sure people will be happy to help. I wouldn't have achieved what I have currently if it wasn't for Steedie and other peoples invaluable advice.

I'm the leanest and biggest I've been in a long time, still a few more kg to go before I'm back on a bulk though!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I gave up on bodybuilding, weighing food, training avidly etc. Now i just eat healthy three times per day and train 3 days per week and basically guestimate now and i feel loads better and happier this way.

It's OK, but if are serious about making some progress in the gym then eating enough is important as you know. I just wouldn't want to do things this way because more often and not people under eat this way. Not eating enough will make your time in the gym so much less effective.

Caporegime
I'd love to do a deadlifting session with you man!!!! :D

There was some bloody strong kid in lifting next to me, belt and chalk pulling 240 from the floor, just over 100kg body weight. He's gonna be in every other Sun afternoon / evening by the sounds of it so after a chat said I'd likely be in some of the times that he is.
If i can get a set time to go down, i'll let you know so we can do some lifts :D

Caporegime
"Bodybuiliding" is a generic term really nowadays... however I do specifically state I enjoy weightlifting, and strength training rather than saying bodybuilding. Whilst I am after improvement, I'm more interested in performance. :)

Yeah, weightlifting is a better term for it and strength training being a touch more specific for people who seem more interested or have some experience :)

Bodybuilding has come into the media spotlight a bit more recently, so quite a few peoples opinions are of creosote faced stage ready monsters (male and female) rather than the more dedicated gym goers

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Deadlift tonight. Been a while since I've not done 531 deadlift session so looking forward to seeing what weight I can do for triples. Hopefully around the 200 mark would be excellent.

Caporegime
Went to the gym yesterday and powered through Squats, Deadlifts & Bench.

But the most satisfying feeling was ass-to-grassing a heavier weight that the guy next to me was barely 1/4 squatting.

Feels good brah

Soldato
Alright guys finally got my barbell out of the loft last night, and tonight il be doing some proper bench press rather than dumbell bench press, i was wondering tho, are barbell curls any better than doing dumbbell curls? for improving biceps?

Soldato
There was some bloody strong kid in lifting next to me, belt and chalk pulling 240 from the floor, just over 100kg body weight. He's gonna be in every other Sun afternoon / evening by the sounds of it so after a chat said I'd likely be in some of the times that he is.
If i can get a set time to go down, i'll let you know so we can do some lifts :D

Quality, cheers mate!

Soldato
Gah, walked into town today and I have an odd sensation in my lumbar.

It kind of feels like a knuckle that needs to be popped, and I get the strangest little pinch here and there.

Stretching and specific back movements don't affect it.

Hmm, I'll still go to training today, but if that pinch appears again or the sensation changes I'm straight out of there.

Caporegime
Gah, walked into town today and I have an odd sensation in my lumbar.

It kind of feels like a knuckle that needs to be popped, and I get the strangest little pinch here and there.

Stretching and specific back movements don't affect it.

Hmm, I'll still go to training today, but if that pinch appears again or the sensation changes I'm straight out of there.

Dang :(

What stretches do you do? I normally do ham string stretches, glute activation while lying down and some weird half-cat vomit thing (basically tuck my belly in while on all fours.

Hope it clears mate

Alright guys finally got my barbell out of the loft last night, and tonight il be doing some proper bench press rather than dumbell bench press, i was wondering tho, are barbell curls any better than doing dumbbell curls? for improving biceps?

I'll be honest, the DB bench will probably work your pecs more directly! But by all means, BB Bench has its place.

And regarding your bicep question, it all depends on what 'part' of the bicep you want to work...Theoretically having your pamls facing you will work it more, while having it in a hammer grip will work it differently...Well that's what I've read / come to understand.

Maybe another bicep monkey can clarify :p

Soldato
I'll be honest, the DB bench will probably work your pecs more directly! But by all means, BB Bench has its place.

It's different for everyone, but BB Benching works better for me in overall development/strength than DB bench.

Guna smash a chest/back session today for the first time, am looking forward to a killer session! Will save deadlifts for later in the week.

- BB Bench
- DB Incline
- Dips
- Cable fly
- Widegrip Pullups
- Seated Row/T-bar row (depending on what's free)
- DB Row
- Lat pulldowns

Will take about 50 mins/hour, all 3x8, OOSH!

Soldato
Dang :(

What stretches do you do? I normally do ham string stretches, glute activation while lying down and some weird half-cat vomit thing (basically tuck my belly in while on all fours.

Hope it clears mate

Sounds like the stuff I do, I got a little booklet when I left the hospital.

I'll do my back extensions early after cardio today, they usually make me feel better.

I also do that back bending stretch when you lie on your stomach and curve upwards. Apparently that's essential for my.

I've improved a lot thanks to that.

It's so odd, I didn't have any problems over the weekend. I think I just slept really badly last night. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom