*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
FF we getting a new sub-forum or something all the stickies have disappeared? Or am I blind.

:)

Does anyone know how to stop getting air during speed bench? My back kept coming off the bench and I'm sure that can't be good :/

The guys I've seen do it use bands stretched across them around the bench - or use a large belt.

Associate
Quick question for those of you who Squat/DL, how flexible are your hamstrings?

I'm not sure what's the best way to measure it, maybe the angle between your leg and the floor when lying down, leg straight up, with the other leg straight on the floor.

Or maybe toe touching? How far can you go?

I'm starting to feel quite tight when Dl'ing and i'm wondering whether that is my flexibility or my technique that is causing it.

Thanks

Associate
I did some heavier deadlifts the other day as well, for the first time in a while since I uploaded my 220kg with crap form.

It was only 180kg for 2 reps but I definitely pushed through my legs and got some hip drive this time as I felt my hamstrings working really hard. my lower back was like "did you even lift something?" considering I can get 220 up with hardly any leg drive.

Will start doing some heavy rack pulls just to keep it in good shape.

I think it's going to be a while until I manage to pull 220+ with good form but I'd rather keep my back hernia free. :)

Last edited:
Associate
I've had such a fantastic week in the gym! If adding 20KG to my squat wasn't enough, tonight I added 10KG (up to 70KG now) to my bench and managed 6 good reps. I don't know if it's the change in diet I've made, or the time off or what...but i'm lovin' it :D

Associate
Always a good feeling when you slide on the extra plates :cool:

It sure is :)

Excellant matey! How long you been gyming then?

I started August last year. Had been stuck on 60KG bench for easily a month or two. And my squat I don't know whats happened to, but it's improved drastically the last 4-5 leg sessions. Now, just need to get my deadlift up! and keep throwing food down my mouth! :cool:

Soldato
Just had my body fat calculated by my mate who im helping with his degree and he worked it out at 19%, but it was the first time he had even used the skin pinching machine so may be slightly higher or lower.

24, 5ft 8" and 63Kilos......is this good? I have no idea :p

Soldato
Just had my body fat calculated by my mate who im helping with his degree and he worked it out at 19%, but it was the first time he had even used the skin pinching machine so may be slightly higher or lower.

If those figures are true then no it's not good, it's not obese or anything but it's not good either.

Soldato
No I'm not, Yes there is some definition, not a whole lot but some.
been told I have a good "base" what ever that means :confused: #noob
That ties up with the figures you gave. They are a decent weight for your height and the bf% is just average, so as you say a good enough base to start from :)

EDIT - figures are just a guide, everyone is different. Example my doctor called me obese a couple of years ago, mainly because he's an idiot, as he just weighed me, measured my height, used my age and then used his chart. Even though I had removed my shirt and had obviously been hitting the gym hard... something that didn't go unnoticed as he commented that I shouldn't use steroids several times, even though each time I told him I didn't :rolleyes:
I think I was around 220-230lbs at the time at 6' 1" and around 12% bf. So charts don't tell you everything, you need to use the mirror and a bit of common sense too.

Last edited:
Associate

Well I'm 5ft 7 and I'm 68K but i've been gymming for a few months now no idea if its any good, I'm a little more 'bulit' if you want to use that word but I woulodn't say I had a lot of fat on me now. Are you quite skinny?

Man of Honour
Would be awesome if you could give me some pointers / things to look up, I don;t mind reading and learning the required techniques etc to fix myself, i'll feel clever then :p

Give me an idea of what you need / require and i'll sort something out.

One thing I need to show you is my shoulder, it droops down :o
No problem. I need pictures of you from the front, back, and side, all relaxed. Also one from both sides and one from the back with both hands overhead.

Start a new thread or post them in the mobility thread.
Big squat night tonight! Can't wait! :D

Box squats 4x5, 3x5, 6x3, 3x2
Barbell Split squat 3x8, 3x8, 4x8, 3x8
Pull throughs 3x10, 3x10, 4x10, 3x8
Kneeling barbell roll outs 3x10

Haven't worked out weights yet... probably heavy :p
I'm loving your workouts recently :cool:
icecold, is this thoracic spine mobility sufficient?

UvO8m.jpg
That's actually a chair I have in my house.

Soldato
Hey guys, I'll be going to the gym again from next week but I need some help with finding suitable trousers. I used to wear these Adidas fleece trousers and unsurprisingly my legs got really really hot and they were quite heavy. Sadly I'm a little too self conscious to wear shorts so anyone know of a real lightweight material or particular trousers that aren't too expensive (sub £30)? Other than that I generally just wear sleeveless tops and my shoes are ok.
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom