*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
If you were talking about doing core work purely to improve your stability when weight lifting then i can see why as most of the movements don't require any twisting, but in swimming, particularly during freestyle/backstroke you spend very little time not in a twisted position as you can pull harder and more efficiently when on your side and it allows you to get your other over arm over the top in a more relaxed position therefore saving energy.

I would have thought the exercise would be a good way to simulate the twisting that you do in the pool.

I'm not saying you're wrong at all btw, just that in Skills situation this might be a benefit to his stability.

I did this exercise along with about 15 others as my core programme for 6 years (4 times a week) and never had any problems, but i suppose that doesn't mean it won't cause anyone else problems.
"Core" training is stability training, full stop.

Stuart McGill, basically the foremost expert of back health in the world, preaches about bracing and stability of the core. He trains all kinds of athletes, including fighters who obviously have a good amount of rotation in their sport.

He talks about it a bit in the video on this page, article is good too: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/17/core-myths/?scp=5&sq=Stuart McGill&st=cse

Read this also: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...=F9A5600379E95577A2AE6748712D6AB6-mcd02.hydra
^even in the med ball throws, notice that the core is stabilising.

http://markyoungtrainingsystems.com/2009/11/dissecting-the-spine-part-i/

Also, you generally shouldn't be looking to alter exercises to be sports specific. Things like rowing coaches advocating a narrow stance squat for better carryover are simply incorrect. Similarly, you won't find sprinters doing thousands of hamstring curls. The same applies to swimming; it wouldn't be useful to do some sort of weird cable machine analogue of your swimming stroke. Gym exercise is supposed to be used to strengthen muscles and systems of muscles, actually doing your sport gives the best carryover to your sport ;)
Yeah, I saw these in your recommendations and looked at them. Going to try and not sound too stupid though, but can you explain more why/how these improve your core? I don't doubt you're correct, but I'm just curious as to how it works it.
Because your core, as a system, is having to resist large rotational forces. If you are braced correctly you certainly feel it.

Did you actually try them? It's very obvious how they're working if you do.

I'm trying to get back into the swing of things with a basic antagonist 3 day a week routine. My main issue, as it has always been is a hip injury which I just cannot seem to shake despite rest/mammoth stretching sessions and purchasing torture devices such as a rumble roller.

I'm thinking of changing my routine to something with a lot more volume, 3 days a week and pretty much skip legs. While working at home still on mobility and stretching, I was convinced it was my psoas and/or right hip flexor but as I only ever get the pain in my right side...it must be the hip flexor? Then after a week or so, depending how I feel, start doing front squats at the start of each session and add more and more till I have a legs day again!

Anyone care to add their two cents? Is that a dumb idea? Sick of not being able to get anywhere because of this bloody hip issue!

Will try and see a decent physio out in toronto for a different perspective but i've wasted hundreds if not thousands on crappy physios etc already so not sure I want to do more.

As a side question I feel much weaker, which I expected after a long layoff but things aren't 'feeling' quite right like i've lost my connection a bit, I think reduced flexibility may have affected this.

I do joe de franco's lower mobility stuff before each workout, anybody have a good upper body mobility session I could do before workouts and at home? Really need to work on my shoulders, my posture is poor as they're not back and down, also want to open up my chest more.
Where on your hip is the pain? During what movement does it occur?

Have a look in the mobility thread, there is at least one upper body warm up in there (also by Defranco) and a lot of other stuff for shoulders and posture.

Man of Honour
I've just added these into my leg work. I'll leave all the other advice on splitting to those with knowledge!
Those are good, but my (current ;)) opinion is that these are better:
http://www.allthingsgym.com/2011/06/uncle-rippetoe-explains-romanian.html

Azza, in terms of splitting things up, you could either have one big leg day, or anterior and posterior leg days (i.e. a quad dominant day and hamstring/glute dominant day) with a few days rest in between. OR, for ultimate beast mode, just squat three times a week but be a bit more careful with volume and loads.

You say you need to do lots of leg work, are you training for a sport, or just super swole legs?

Caporegime
Like the look of the RDLs.

I wouldn't be able to do squats three times a week at the moment, problems with my lower back, got Spondylolisthesis and something else. Maybe do them as well 3 times a week but in terms of doing them all out 3 times I'd probably crumble. And I'd rather concentrate on things individually, since I had my ACL reconstruction my right hamstring is still lagging behind my left quite a bit.

I play basketball and although my vert is fine (if I lose some weight :D), since I had my ACL I've never really got my strength back in my legs, but I'll start to work on my power after a bit. Like I say I don't really have any problems with my explosive power, after my ACL I pretty much did nothing for just under 2 years other than just general rehab for a year, started playing basketball again last September and by February I was dunking again without doing anything, but I've been able to jump a lot higher than how I was then so I want to get there quicker and reach my potential faster, but right now that's not my main concern. :)

Associate
Where on your hip is the pain? During what movement does it occur?

Have a look in the mobility thread, there is at least one upper body warm up in there (also by Defranco) and a lot of other stuff for shoulders and posture.

Apologies, didn't realise there was a mobility thread, will get all over that!

Front of my leg at the hip, just below the crease right in the middle of the leg. Can recreate the pain almost anytime by pushing my right hip forward. Biggest issue when its 'healed' is to attempt back squats, basically i will just get a sharp pain when I hit a certain point then the pain will persist anytime I involve my hip, especially anything that requires me to push my hip forward or where the hip takes impact i.e. kicking a ball.

Felt a lot better today, think snowboarding angered it a fair bit and it let me know so legs the next day was no go. Going to punish the upper body and introduce squats and deads as I feel it improving, will hopefully get back to squatting regularly this way.

Caporegime
Hmmm... council sports centres are being done up, and the one in Deeside has been finished. You can see pictures here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/flintshirecc/with/6129914582/

But my local one the work and expansion hasn't even started yet, and the fitness room is rather small as it is.

£23.99 a month off peak times, 'cos my local one is attached to a school during school days it's 6 till 8:30 and then after 5, but that's all good. It should only be until start of July when I go back to uni... £100 all you can eat access for a year, yum yum. :D

I've been thinking about 3 days, but I need to do a lot of leg work, so a lot of squats, calf raises, something I can specifically do for hamstrings? What would be the best way of splitting it all up?

Looks good though dude, is there much of a free weights bit or? (Only looked at the first page)

Associate
"Core" training is stability training, full stop.

Stuart McGill, basically the foremost expert of back health in the world, preaches about bracing and stability of the core. He trains all kinds of athletes, including fighters who obviously have a good amount of rotation in their sport.

He talks about it a bit in the video on this page, article is good too: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/17/core-myths/?scp=5&sq=Stuart McGill&st=cse

Read this also: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...=F9A5600379E95577A2AE6748712D6AB6-mcd02.hydra
^even in the med ball throws, notice that the core is stabilising.

http://markyoungtrainingsystems.com/2009/11/dissecting-the-spine-part-i/

Also, you generally shouldn't be looking to alter exercises to be sports specific. Things like rowing coaches advocating a narrow stance squat for better carryover are simply incorrect. Similarly, you won't find sprinters doing thousands of hamstring curls. The same applies to swimming; it wouldn't be useful to do some sort of weird cable machine analogue of your swimming stroke. Gym exercise is supposed to be used to strengthen muscles and systems of muscles, actually doing your sport gives the best carryover to your sport ;)

In the 3rd link you posted the guy says Russian Twists are ok as long as you rotate from the top section of the spine, which is the way i do it. My fault for not making it clear that was necessary :D

The same applies to swimming; it wouldn't be useful to do some sort of weird cable machine analogue of your swimming stroke.

Funny you should say this, I know for a fact that atleast 4 out of GB's soon to be Olympic swimming team use cable machine which does exactly that on a weekly basis. I can tell you who/where via an email of you want.

Other than that i completely agree with what you are saying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom