*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

kai

kai

Soldato
Email me kai and we'll get chatting. I can give you plenty of tips, and even be there on the phone if you need a hand

just tried dropping you a mail based on your contact information; getting a Delivery Status Notification (Failure) - can you drop me a blank mail based on my contact information so i can reply - sorry!:(

Man of Honour
In the 3rd link you posted the guy says Russian Twists are ok as long as you rotate from the top section of the spine, which is the way i do it. My fault for not making it clear that was necessary :D
It doesn't actually say that. It says rotation in the thoracic spine is ok, but doing exercises like russian twists forces lumbar rotation. Admittedly he's not totally clear there, but he really isn't saying russian twists are ok. Again, the essence of good core training is resisting movement. You might be able to argue that there is some version of the russian twist that doesn't involve lumbar rotation, but by that point you've changed the exercise and reduced the ROM significantly so you might as well be doing med ball throws or pallof presses.

Funny you should say this, I know for a fact that atleast 4 out of GB's soon to be Olympic swimming team use cable machine which does exactly that on a weekly basis. I can tell you who/where via an email of you want.

Other than that i completely agree with what you are saying.
I can only hope they aren't doing what I was trying to explain. Without seeing what they're doing I don't think I'll ever know. I don't suppose you've got a picture of the equipment, or could describe the movement? I'm willing to be wrong, but as far as I know this is a silly way to train. Unfortunately I can't rule out the possibility that they're doing something silly, simply because I've heard of coaches/athletes advocating weird things before. Most recent example (who will remain nameless) is an ex-olympic rower who's now a coach who's working with my brother's club. Such things stop being surprising after a while.

Soldato
I can only hope they aren't doing what I was trying to explain. Without seeing what they're doing I don't think I'll ever know. I don't suppose you've got a picture of the equipment, or could describe the movement? I'm willing to be wrong, but as far as I know this is a silly way to train. Unfortunately I can't rule out the possibility that they're doing something silly, simply because I've heard of coaches/athletes advocating weird things before. Most recent example (who will remain nameless) is an ex-olympic rower who's now a coach who's working with my brother's club. Such things stop being surprising after a while.

Pretty sure he's referring to something similar to this:
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentish_gazette/news/2011/may/4/land_swimming_machine.aspx
(Watch the video, but I'm not sure I'd bother reading the article)

As far as I'm aware (I saw mention of it once or twice, but haven't looked into it too much), it isn't used as an alternative to swimming in a pool. However I'm pretty sure that the GB team use it as a way to measure the force you output etc... through your various limbs whilst exercising. Ergo, it basically allows coaches and swimmers to check for any power discrepancies in a persons stroke (e.g. right arm more powerful than left), so that they can work out what needs to be focussed on more in the gym.

Whether that was it's intention or not I'm not really sure, I think by a quick read of the article it was actually invented as an alternative (Stupid idea), however in my mind, it makes sense for what I've explained above. The fact that it's supporting your Core is very surreal, and can't imitate water. Looking at the video, I can certainly see quite a few issues in the guys stroke. For example, there's no where near enough rotation from the hips (ironic considering the reason this came up xD)

kd

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Kai got your email but I won't have a chance to reply properly or as thoroughly as I'd like, as I'm off out for my birthday in a minute. But I will reply as soon as I get a chance :)

Associate
It doesn't actually say that. It says rotation in the thoracic spine is ok, but doing exercises like russian twists forces lumbar rotation. Admittedly he's not totally clear there, but he really isn't saying russian twists are ok. Again, the essence of good core training is resisting movement. You might be able to argue that there is some version of the russian twist that doesn't involve lumbar rotation, but by that point you've changed the exercise and reduced the ROM significantly so you might as well be doing med ball throws or pallof presses.

I'm no expert and neither was the person who told me to do the russian twists as a swimmer so i don't doubt there are better exercises with less risk etc.

The machine is a mix between this and your average gyms "cable crossover" machine, but with about 10 cables and it looks very complicated :D I've never tried myself but I've seen them on it and it does look like a stroke simulator. These guys have a team of sports scientists looking after them so i doubt they're doing anything silly :D

Man of Honour
Does it resist every portion of the stroke?

In general, the whole point of off track/field (and I'm assuming out of pool!) exercise is to either increase muscle strength or rate of force delivery. This is best done by what works best for the muscle or system of muscles, i.e. it's not "sports specific", and you rely on standard exercises. Things that slot into the endurance category are normally dealt with by actually doing the sport.

As far as I can see, there are two options:
1) I'm wrong and this stroke simulator does help to develop either absolute muscle strength or R.O.F. development
2) It's not designed to do that, and instead does something else relevant to swimming.

This is assuming that the team of sports scientists isn't just a group of monkeys with clipboards ;)

edit: just realised how off topic and geeky this has become, sorry chaps :D

Soldato
Standing press 40kgx8 50kgx5 50kgx5 (this may have turned into push press :D) 40kgx6
DB press 22.5kg 8,6,5
Arnold press 15kg 8,6,5
BB front raise 10kg 8,8,8
Cable side raise 5kg 8,8,7
cable reverse fly 5kg 8,8,8

Still figuring out all my weights on stuff really.

Gym was absolutely rammed and for some reason all the half reppers were out in force. 50kg BB curls, the worst cheating quarter rep form ive ever seen. knee bend squats. half rep bench. fuuuuuuuuuuuu get out of my gym

Soldato
Could be wrong here skill, but your shoulder routine seems pretty bloated (for lack of a better word) - standing press, DB press, Arnies and front raises? Seems like a lot just to hit your delts!

Soldato
Well i wasn't planning to do standing press but all the benches were taken when i got there so didn't want to just stand around while i had pure caffeine flowing through my veins :p.
Does seem quite a lot but i wasn't too fatigued by the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom