*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
****** up my wrist last night. Landed on it hard and is now uber swollen and can hardly move it :( I should rest it, but will try and go to gym tomorrow and see how bad it is... though considering I can hardly hold a cup of tea or rotate or move it, I think the chances are pretty slim of being able to do anything useful!

Soldato
****** up my wrist last night. Landed on it hard and is now uber swollen and can hardly move it :( I should rest it, but will try and go to gym tomorrow and see how bad it is... though considering I can hardly hold a cup of tea or rotate or move it, I think the chances are pretty slim of being able to do anything useful!

Pfft, you're Freefaller, you can do everything one-handed! :p

kai

kai

Soldato
Steedie - i need some advice on contest prep, drying out for photo-shoot and wonder if you can point me in the right direction?

Are you ok me contacting you directly (email) as oppose littering the thread?

Caporegime

Pfft...You was dead-lifting 60kg one handed last Sat! :p

hope it heals though man

Steeds, put the info in here if you want, would be good to read

kai

kai

Soldato
Litter the thread, the information would be useful to read :)

Contact me all you want mate :) Always happy to help :)

Ok if it helps anyone else; wanted to ask Steedie personally as i believe he might have does this sort of approach.

Basically i have been asked to do a photoshoot for a local magazine at the end of April, which is actually good timing as i need to be in this sort of shape for a bit of a contest we having going on for BodyExpo in May.

Now i have been told i need to look as ripped as possible, so basically i need to achieve a really dry look! As you know im pretty low b.f and at i am very slowly clean bulking.

the best articles i can find is the following; however its not all that clear!

Link One

Link Two

At the moment cardio has been stopped all together i was going to start back up 8 - 10 weeks out (30 minutes am / 30 minutes pm)

i am really looking for advice in terms of how you did it (which article is best) and did you go as far as using any Herbal Diuretic?

Last edited:
Soldato
Just had a good Chest session.

Broke my bench record today which was nice. (90kg, 5x5)

Tell you one thing folks, hardest thing I do is Superset some heavy flys with wide pressups. 10 of each. Absolutely brutal.

Man of Honour
Unfortunately mate, there are sooooo many ways you could do this, and 99% of these ways aren't going to work for you, you'll still look fantastic, but not all of them will get the results you want

So first thing I'd say, is read as many articles as you can, but don't stick to any single one as a concrete way of doing it

Secondly, have a trial run, about 3 weeks before, have a week to test something out, a certain method of water manipulation for example, a certain level of carbs and sodium loading. At least this way, you're seeing if this way works, and if not, you know to do something different when it comes to the real thing.

But my advice, and after lots and lots of research after my last attempt, this is how I'm going to play things out next time.

On the Monday before, drink about 12 litres of water, spread evenly throughout the day. Also, buy a tub of vitamin C quick release tablets, basically at this point you want to get your body in the habit of constantly wee'ing. And it is annoying as you'll wake up 4-5 times a night, but it's all worth it. Every day after, drop the amount of water by 2 litres, so by Day 6, you're on 2 litres. On the day of the shoot, fill a bottle to about 300-500ml, this is your water for the day, no more than this so use it wisely, and have it all by 2 hours before the shoot. You could try what I did last year, but it didn't work for me, but does for a lot of people. Drink 12 litres of water, every day for the week. Then the day before, stop completely, but your body should be in the habit of weeing constantly through so much water during the week, that you keep going to the toilet, but as you're not drinking, you're weeing what water you do have in your system out, so completely dry

General eating, eat lots of naturally diuretic veg, such as spinach, asparagus. Try and eat it with every meal. Also, avoid chicken, and go for turkey, it's far leaner :) But ideally, white fish, stick to that as your protein source and you'll be golden. Avoid shakes, other than your post-workout shake and a scoop in the morning, but other than that, solid foods only

Typically I'd recommend:

7am - 60g oats/scoop of whey
9:30am - 50g rice/4oz turkey/spinach
12pm - 50g rice/4oz turkey/spinach
2pm - PWO shake
5pm - 8oz white fish/spinach
7:30pm - 8oz white fish/spinach
9pm - Can be a few things here

(I don't know if the macros above are correct, just a rough estimate, but then drop the rice amounts each day and the oat g's to drop your carbs by 30g each day)

Carb loading, this totally depends on how your body reacts to carbs. A lot of people load with white rice or potatoes, so find what works with you. And basically, day 1, you want to be on about 150g carbs (wholemeal/low gi carbs), and drop it by 30g a day, then 2 days before the shoot, load up! Again, I can't say a figure as it totally depends on your bodys habit of holding water and the shape you're in, but 250g as a ball park figure. Then on the day of the show, have a carb meal in the morning and that's it apart from maybe a rice cake with peanut butter and jam on 2 hours before.

Sodium loading, nothing really special to do here. Don't worry so much about this area. Just don't drop sodium from your diet as you'll only hold more water if you do, and look less full. Plus on the day of the shoot, your lack of food will mean you don't worry too much about sodium anyway. However, that said, 2 hours before the show, have a sodium rich snack, this will fill you out but the body won't have time to start holding water before the shoot

Also, a couple of minutes before the camera starts taking the shots, have a handful, ONLY a handful ;) of Haribo Tangfastics, the sugary carbs will make you look fuller and make your muscles pop out again :) Some people also have a shot of brandy just before too, but it works for some, not for others, so try that in your trial run. Also, take Niacin before, brings out vascularity :)

As for workouts, do your normal routine up to the Thursday, then on Thursday and Friday, do 40-50% 1RM circuit training, one exercise per muscle group. Just to keep the glycogen stores full and keep you looking nice and full. DO NOT STOP WORKING OUT THE WEEK BEFORE. Cardio, do your normal amount up to the Thursday then stop

While doing these workouts, find out what exercises gives you the best pump, then get yourself a resistance band and you can do these exercises, 15-20 minutes before the shoot, do it any sooner and it will wear off, any later and you'll find it hard to flex/pose

Saturday have a day off and rest, don't be tempted to do anything, even cardio, rest!

Things not to do:
- Don't not drink anything on the day of the shoot, your muscles are mostly water, if you have no water in your system, you'll look small and flat.
- Don't cut out sodium, you'll look bloated and puffy, as well as flat
- Don't drink wine the night before, you'll feel like crap and it doesn't improve your physique
- Don't stop working out, you'll look soft and flat

Last edited:
Caporegime
Also, a couple of minutes before the camera starts taking the shots, have a handful, ONLY a handful ;) of Haribo Tangfastics, the sugary carbs will make you look fuller and make your muscles pop out again :) Some people also have a shot of brandy just before too, but it works for some, not for others, so try that in your trial run

Hehe! Gigidy.

In all seriousness, I think I'd die.

Caporegime
i though the hard work was done - getting into shape. Is appears not biggest challange will be drinking 12L i dont think i will be able do this!!!

Small amounts is key I presume.

Just have a glass next to you and top it up and sip every so often.

Might be worth doing the maths before hand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom