*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
People seem to forget how to lift heavy stuff off the floor when it comes to weight training - lift with the legs not the back is common knowledge. This guy isn't a powerlifter just a noisy inconsiderate ****.

Loving the weight on the BOR, bet that smashes your back/biceps good. Your CGBP is awesome, is it helping with the bench press?
Well yeah, you'd expect powerlifters be a little better informed and careful, but not in this case.

5x112.5kg right at the edge of my max for BORs, but I don't really feel it that much in my biceps. It's definitely stimulating them, I just find that I can feel it more with higher rep ranges. Single arm cable rows for 10 reps are good for this.

It will be getting pretty crazy if I can get 10x100kg on CGBP (not far off what I can do for regular bench :confused:), which looks possible soon. I haven't benched heavy in a while but I have no doubt it'll help my charge for a 140kg (and beyond) bench.

I'm really looking forward to starting my new program, PHAT has done it's job and I feel refreshed and strong... and a little bit more like a bicep warrior than ever before.

Soldato
Definitely a worth while thing to do. You may be surprised by what you find :)

Indeed:

Here we go.... Be gentle people....

Working out the nutritional breakdown of my current intake, after finally measuring out some portions of stuff I ended up with:

diet.png

Ok, so the biggest shock to me was how little Chicken I ate in the Fajitas. Basically, I just weighed out what I thought was a normal portion I'd have, and it came out at about 55g. The first change I'm going to make, is when I carve up the roast every Sunday, measure it out into 200g Portions.

This would result in:
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/4480/diet.png (changed to link for minimal images on page - see updated version a few posts down with increased chicken included)

In the second image I've also made clearer the BMR/Weight/Height, and nutritional requirements - based on Steedies thread - had to use basic BMR calculator though rather than complex. I'm also going on Low end moderately active, which once they reopen the pool I will be.

As you can see though, this would still result in me being short on Protein/Carbs/Calories, so what small changes to quantity do people reckon I could make that might work out best?

For the record, this is pretty much my day in day out diet. Although Sunday tends to vary slightly - Roast for lunch and perhaps a Kiev with peas and potatoes for Dinner.

I'm aiming to hit about 2500 calories, for now at least, if I find I'm not seeing the gains I want, then I'll increase it obviously, however at the moment as I'd like to slowly shift fat and gain muscle, rather than the more traditional bulk and cut (I find the bulk particularly difficult due to Cardio, which bottom line I'm not cutting out so prefer the slow shift...)

kd

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Have at least three eggs for breakfast, and add more to your lunch (full pint of milk maybe).

Also, I tend to only count protein from meat, dairy and eggs. While not exactly necessary, looking at it that way you basically need to double your protein intake.

edit: and if you're swimming on that you'll surely need more kcals...

Soldato
Have at least three eggs for breakfast, and add more to your lunch (full pint of milk maybe).

Also, I tend to only count protein from meat, dairy and eggs. While not exactly necessary, looking at it that way you basically need to double your protein intake.

Hmm, the Eggs for breakfast sounds like a good idea, and I'd considered the milk myself, so will look at it.

Is that how you eat when you are swim training?

Yeah, but it's only 3 sessions a week (5 hours), nothing like what I used to. Saying that when I used to train my diet was probably worse than it is now and I never had any issues with adding muscle...

Edit:
In light of comments above xD
I've figured, I'll add in one egg, as I've now increased the chicken in my fajitas, I can probably fill up another wrap, and also I've added in more rice at lunch. Added in the extra half pint of milk as well. Calories are now slightly over, but should help with the swimming - as everyone's pointed out.

dietz.png

kd

Last edited:
Soldato
Went to the gym today after not going for a few weeks. That was difficult :o

Indeed, not looking forward to it either.

Planning on heading tonight, first time since before xmas when I was Ill then headed to Thailand for love you long time.

FST7 here I come!

Last edited:
Caporegime

I only have two :(

But then I have 3 squasages as well. Nom nom

Man of Honour
Despite having a sore throat I had a pretty good session at the gym last night, I'm still a fair way from the weights I used to be able to do but one of the regulars commented that my squat form was looking fine which I was pleased with. I think I'll just keep building up slowly though to give me the best chance of not aggravating my back issue at all.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Good work! Haven't seen you post here much but you certainly have some strength to you. Thought about posting in the powerlifting totals thread? Also do you have a video of your deadlift, I like looking over people's form.

Soldato
I guess...It's a sad world really

in a crashing irony, in my first session since i posted the comment about people being sued

the manager of my gym was correcting people all over the place this evening. Including me unfortunately, my bent over row has gone all to pot

unfortunately, his way of correcting it was to have me do yates rows instead :(

i only had one set left and CBA to argue.

next time out i am doing a massive massive deload on BOR.

Soldato
Football monday
Badminton yesterday
Back and chest tonight

Feeling good! If not tired! Day off tomorrow.

Anyone suggest some abs and forearm exercises? 2 areas that really need work, abs will come in time as they always do when ive actually got back to exercise in the past, but my forearms have always been pants.

Soldato
after being ill for 2 months before xmas, ive started back to the gym... not as bad as i thought it would be but my legs feel heavy after 20mins on the treadmills...(did have an hour of badminton prior)

how do i get a flat stomach? my problem being... food... i just love eating.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
To shift fat you're going to have to spend more calories than you take in each day. Whether this is from diet, training or a combination of both is up to you. If you like eating you'll need to put more time into training and it will likely slow down your progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom