*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
My favourite deadlifter was in the gym tonight. He is heading for a hernia if he carries on. Fair play he locked out 230kg, but literally no leg drive, arse up and all in the lower back. Oh and he then let everyone in the gym know how much he lifted by shouting to his mate 'it felt brutal at 230kg, backs a bit sore though HAHAHAHAH'....

!!!

Soldato
Jeeeeeeeeeeesus, you wonder if you should say anything don't you? :o

Do the gyms owners not care at all? lol

most gyms have plenty of disclaimers. ultimately, if they tell someone to change technique and then they get injured, they're more likely to get sued than if they say nothing.

Man of Honour
Icecold, made a thread for my mobility: Thread :)

If you need any info or anything changing let me know, thanks LOADS in advance
Nice, I'll have a look and try and get something up tomorrow.
My favourite deadlifter was in the gym tonight. He is heading for a hernia if he carries on. Fair play he locked out 230kg, but literally no leg drive, arse up and all in the lower back. Oh and he then let everyone in the gym know how much he lifted by shouting to his mate 'it felt brutal at 230kg, backs a bit sore though HAHAHAHAH'....

!!!
There were some people trying out for the powerlifting club tonight (massively clogging up the gym...), and there was some terrible form. Unfortunately the guys running the show these days don't really care :rolleyes:

Good PHAT session:

Day 1: Upper Power
BOR 3x5 112.2
Pull ups 2x6 22.5
Cable row 2x10 140, 150
Flat DB press 3x5 47.5, 50, 50
CGBP 2x8 95
DB shoulder press 3x8 27.5
EZ curls 3x8 35
Skull crushers 3x8 30

CGBP is getting crazy big, relatively speaking. Not sure what's going on there but I'm not complaining. Shoulders were a lot more stable for the flat DB press tonight, pleased with those. My back has responded really well to this training format, feeling really strong at the moment.

Also, and I don't want to fall victim to wishful thinking too much, but I think I've gotten bigger after a week of doing higher volume stuff :confused:

Man of Honour
Apologies, didn't realise there was a mobility thread, will get all over that!

Front of my leg at the hip, just below the crease right in the middle of the leg. Can recreate the pain almost anytime by pushing my right hip forward. Biggest issue when its 'healed' is to attempt back squats, basically i will just get a sharp pain when I hit a certain point then the pain will persist anytime I involve my hip, especially anything that requires me to push my hip forward or where the hip takes impact i.e. kicking a ball.

Felt a lot better today, think snowboarding angered it a fair bit and it let me know so legs the next day was no go. Going to punish the upper body and introduce squats and deads as I feel it improving, will hopefully get back to squatting regularly this way.
Could be something as simple as a ropey TFL. Try rolling that for a while and see what happens. Also, have a look at some of the big band distraction stuff for hips.

Man of Honour
Pretty sure he's referring to something similar to this:
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentish_gazette/news/2011/may/4/land_swimming_machine.aspx
(Watch the video, but I'm not sure I'd bother reading the article)

As far as I'm aware (I saw mention of it once or twice, but haven't looked into it too much), it isn't used as an alternative to swimming in a pool. However I'm pretty sure that the GB team use it as a way to measure the force you output etc... through your various limbs whilst exercising. Ergo, it basically allows coaches and swimmers to check for any power discrepancies in a persons stroke (e.g. right arm more powerful than left), so that they can work out what needs to be focussed on more in the gym.

Whether that was it's intention or not I'm not really sure, I think by a quick read of the article it was actually invented as an alternative (Stupid idea), however in my mind, it makes sense for what I've explained above. The fact that it's supporting your Core is very surreal, and can't imitate water. Looking at the video, I can certainly see quite a few issues in the guys stroke. For example, there's no where near enough rotation from the hips (ironic considering the reason this came up xD)

kd
Missed this post originally, sorry mate!

As you say, used to test power throughout the stroke or find problems it kind of makes sense. But if it's meant as a replacement for swimming I think people should be a little embarrassed.

Soldato
DOMS have finally subsided, so going to do some Complexes before work and hopefully get in a pull session tonight. Although, getting a weird pain in inner thigh when im stretching, so hopefully havent pulled anything already! :(

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
There were some people trying out for the powerlifting club tonight (massively clogging up the gym...), and there was some terrible form. Unfortunately the guys running the show these days don't really care :rolleyes:

Good PHAT session:

Day 1: Upper Power
BOR 3x5 112.2
Pull ups 2x6 22.5
Cable row 2x10 140, 150
Flat DB press 3x5 47.5, 50, 50
CGBP 2x8 95
DB shoulder press 3x8 27.5
EZ curls 3x8 35
Skull crushers 3x8 30

CGBP is getting crazy big, relatively speaking. Not sure what's going on there but I'm not complaining. Shoulders were a lot more stable for the flat DB press tonight, pleased with those. My back has responded really well to this training format, feeling really strong at the moment.

Also, and I don't want to fall victim to wishful thinking too much, but I think I've gotten bigger after a week of doing higher volume stuff :confused:

People seem to forget how to lift heavy stuff off the floor when it comes to weight training - lift with the legs not the back is common knowledge. This guy isn't a powerlifter just a noisy inconsiderate ****.

Loving the weight on the BOR, bet that smashes your back/biceps good. Your CGBP is awesome, is it helping with the bench press?

Soldato
i'm looking at wendler 5/3/1 maybe in a few weeks. Squatting 3x a week on stronglifts is starting to damage my enjoyment of mountain biking due to perma-sore quads, and i cant have that. I'll probably keep it up until i start to stall a bit (i'm at 100kg squat atm)

anyone tried this program? how did you find it?

Soldato
i'm looking at wendler 5/3/1 maybe in a few weeks. Squatting 3x a week on stronglifts is starting to damage my enjoyment of mountain biking due to perma-sore quads, and i cant have that. I'll probably keep it up until i start to stall a bit (i'm at 100kg squat atm)

anyone tried this program? how did you find it?

LiE has just started it I think, so take a look at his separate thread.

kd

Man of Honour
Although my wrist is donald ducked I'm going to hit the gym tonight.

Rack pulls
Speed deadlifts
GHRs
BB Glute bridges
L Sits

Bring on the pain! :D

Hope my wrist can take it :( :( :( Hmmm, lots of ibuprofen before gym methinks! :cool:

Man of Honour
Helps the CNS deal with big weights and improve grip stength. It disengages the hams and glutes too so less involvement meaning you can focus on core strength and body positioning on the last part of the movement. Helps with sticking points.

Pulling from the knees @ 240-260kg really helps to force your core to keep tight, whilst actually performing a movement with the bar and getting used to moving a heavily loaded bar.

The speed deadlifts afterwards are great to mix the explosive bottom bit of the lift.

Caporegime
Helps the CNS deal with big weights and improve grip stength. It disengages the hams and glutes too so less involvement meaning you can focus on core strength and body positioning on the last part of the movement. Helps with sticking points.

Pulling from the knees @ 240-260kg really helps to force your core to keep tight, whilst actually performing a movement with the bar and getting used to moving a heavily loaded bar.

The speed deadlifts afterwards are great to mix the explosive bottom bit of the lift.

Two things: CNS? :)

I did think that was the main reason though, to knock out the hams and glutes etc...So it makes sense.

Speed deadlifts? Just lower the weight or?

EDIT: And GHR please?

I found on Monday that my hams were shafted after squats, doing Power cleans was a chore

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Central Nervous System. GHR is Glute-Ham-Raises.

Speed deads will be light deadlifts done explosively, to help develop low down power i.e. leg drive.

FF, you got any articles on Omega 3 dosages?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom