*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I'd be happy with retaining that strength if I'd dropped 5 stone mate :)

3k kcals in one sitting tho? Jesus, I'm doing 3k a day, and struggling with eating 1,500 in each sitting (IF, two feeding periods) :eek:

When i was playing football it wasn't unknown for me to have a plate of 50 chicken wings to myself (about 8000cals) after a match

dod

dod

Soldato
finally got to play with the big boys toys tonight. :D

Chest day and because of all the January rush most of the benches and the smith were taken so had to use dumbells. First time ever I managed to get reps out of the 30kG dumbells, well 1 and 1/2 actually, but it's not that long since I couldn't push up the 25's :)

Associate
Feels great pushing that weight you have been eyeing up for ages doesn't it.

After watching Freefaller at the meet I had a go at some power clean to push press. Worked up to 3 reps of 90kg, really chuffed with that. Just have to improve my technique now. I tried for 100kg, but the two big plates at either end of the bar were staring at me and psyched me out.

Man of Honour
^that is a real and weird affect!

I'm not going to push press until my shoulders have calmed down, but I may play with some powercleans tonight

Soldato
Feels great pushing that weight you have been eyeing up for ages doesn't it.

After watching Freefaller at the meet I had a go at some power clean to push press. Worked up to 3 reps of 90kg, really chuffed with that. Just have to improve my technique now. I tried for 100kg, but the two big plates at either end of the bar were staring at me and psyched me out.

Nice!

Associate
Thanks :) I'm really happy with how everything is going at the moment other than my squat.

Did you hurt your shoulders icecold? Or just doms?

Soldato
It's been a long while since I've hopped into this section, training was going as gradual and consistent as always until now.

I think I've had a stomach intolerance to nuts, which I started eating a lot of at Xmas to up my calorie intake and increase my bulk/protein. Only just discovered it might be them.

Had nothing but problems(toilet, stomach etc) since and I'm at my lowest weight in around 2 years, sitting at 72kg, you can literally see the difference in my arms, chest etc. Tshirts are a fair bit bigger on me too. Major beating on confidence levels :( I thought I was adding weight, instead it's been dropping off me at a consistent pace.

So, I'll be joining in a bit more now for inspiration hopefully, get back on track :( and I'd like some advice on alternatives to nuts. I loved the fact I could literally have 300 calories in a hand full. Any advice on alternatives? Not going down the shake route, waste of money, my bulks have been much more productive with real food.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's really unfortunate shifty, are there any tests that can be done to see if there's an allergy there?

Personally I don't see how shakes are a waste of money as powdered protein is the cheapest and most biologically available around.

A good alternative would be eggs as they, like nuts, have favourable protein and fat content. Dried/cured meat is also good for snacking on but can be quite expensive.

I chopped and fried 2 packs of bacon the other day, making a small bowl of what look like bacon crisps! Very dry and crunchy, they crumble in your mouth and taste amazing. The amount there could probably be polished off in 10 minutes easy and has the following macros:

calories: 720
carbs: 0
fat: 60g
protein: 48g

An ideal snack, but expensive. This is why I favour powdered protein!

Soldato
Hah yeah basically! Only thin and more expensive to make :(

I use them as croutons for my stew, adds a nice bit of texture. Not the whole 2 packs mind, there's already a couple of rashers and almost 0.5kg of pork in there as it is!

Shifty, not having a dig here or anything as I'm genuinely interested, but how is whey not real food? I never understand where people draw the line here. How about if I use whey to make protein brownies, does it become real food then? Oats are similar in that they're often a constituent of a meal and you can't really eat them on their own, yet most consider these to be 'real food'.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been a long time since I came round these parts... Stopped lifting just under 3 years ago and want to get back into it again.

Joined my local gym so now I need to get back into a routine with both diet and nutrition. Not sure where to begin if I'm honest.

Any tips/info links will be greatly appreciated :)

Soldato
Shifty, not having a dig here or anything as I'm genuinely interested, but how is whey not real food? I never understand where people draw the line here. How about if I use whey to make protein brownies, does it become real food then? Oats are similar in that they're often a constituent of a meal and you can't really eat them on their own, yet most consider these to be 'real food'.

Not to mention it's whey :)cool:) cheaper than 'real food' in most cases

Soldato

Nooo, not saying it isn't real food buddy, I know it is and certainly a lot purer for you than most things! :)

Trouble is calorie content when I'm trying to put weight on. It's what, 90-100 calories per scoop? Just doesn't seem to cut it like my example of using nuts. 600 calories in two portions of nuts. A scoop of whey is great for the additional protein but I need to use it alongside higher calorie foods for weight in order to see any gains.

As for your earlier post, I haven't been tested for allergies only stomach bugs which came up clear. I thought it might've been a bacterial infection, still narrowing down the list to be honest.

Some of the weight loss might've been water? As I've been very badly dehydrated for the most part.

Saw your pictures in the other thread btw, some ridiculously impressive mass you've gained, I can remember when you started! Kudos buddy!

Associate
1 pint of full fat milk = 370 kcal
2 scoops of protein (mp) = 200 kcal

570 kcal, 55g protein, 25g carbs, 21g fat.

Neck it in 5 seconds. JD.

Edit, just to add. If you want more carbs, add some oats/banana/whatever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom